BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I feel like your argument only works under weak links between Lego and the contest. Obviously the medium of the contests is Lego, but it isn’t a “Lego” contest - it’s a BIONICLE contest. More specifically, it’s a canon contest, where we don’t necessarily need to cater to the “as much creative freedom as possible” crowd. Yes of course creativity is great, and without it the contests are literally unenjoyable for most people, but creativity isn’t necessarily the point of these contests, unlike most other building competitions/events. Also Eljay has said that it’s most likely that there will be some contests without MOC contests, and vice versa.

2 Likes

How can you draw a group of 6 Toa Hagah in a style that makes them non-Metru?

The same way you can build 4 of the with a “Metru build” that doesn’t exactly resemble a Metru build.

1 Like

I still stand by what I said, I fell in love with Bionicle because of the awesome character design in the Lego medium.

To me, taking out the MOC portion is removing an integral part of what makes Bionicle, especially in regards to fan interaction.

2 Likes

Group shot implies that all 6 have the same build.

Nobody is arguing that there shouldn’t be any MOC contests. All I’m saying is that for some Toa it is better to keep them close to the set designs. Thus, there is no need for MOC contests for these characters.

1 Like

Then make all six a “Metru build” that doesn’t look exactly like a Metru build.

1 Like

I think there is some confusion, that would be taking the MOC portion out of the contest, like I said.

I don’t think there’s confusion.

1 Like

I was talking about taking the MOC portion out of any character design contest, I didn’t think anyone was arguing never having a MOC contest.

Then what on earth does this mean:

That’s exactly what he meant - it’s what we’ve been arguing about this whole time.

1 Like

Metru build that doesn’t look like Metru build? How can you draw Norik that isn’t exactly Metru build?

Are they not arguing to take the MOC portion out of the Hagah contest? Because I’m saying that we should keep MOC contests, regardless of the characters.

By drawing him in the style that some people see as a Metru build - i.e. purely proportional to a Metru build.

Exactly. So where’s the confusion?

1 Like

It really doesn’t. “Group shot” means you have all six Toa.

The “same build” rule is defined elsewhere.

That’s all you can really do in a drawing, is it not? Look at the movie versions of the Metru. To me, that level of stylization is completely acceptable for any Art Contest.

I think there’s confusion about what the confusion is lol.

To me, it seemed that they thought that I thought that they think they should remove all MOC contests, which I didn’t. Wow this is getting convoluted.

1 Like

I thought that we can skip some MOC contests in favor of better fitting the canon.

There is no “some people see as”, there is an actual set, there are images of this set, you can’t draw Norik that looks like Brutaka.

I’m not talking about the exact wording of the rules, I’m talking about the concept. If you want we can call it “group shot with the same builds”.

Canon is whatever Greg says is canon, if Greg approves a MOC as canon, then it’s just as valid as a piece of art that Greg says is canon.

It’s still possible for someone to do that, say it’s a metru build, and have people make non-existing connections, both in the literal and metaphorical sense.

Regardless, based on where the discussion is going, they’re probably going to allow custom torsos that arguably resemble the metru torso, if not the mata torso as well. Ngl it wouldn’t be unamusing if a moc that didn’t resemble a metru build, based on torso and proportions, won because people made non-existing connections. Or someone gets disqualified and goes on about how their moc is a real metru build because of how lean their design is, the placement of pistons, or something trivial lol. Hopefully enough people understand design consistency.

Idk these seem pretty accurate to the build

Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 12.06.04 PM Screen Shot 2020-11-30 at 12.06.18 PM

This is the kind of art I want.

Yet there is. That’s kind of what I’ve been making fun of this whole time. Some people think Metru builds are purely based on the proportions of a build, which I find absurd. So far the only specification agreed upon by either the community or mods (can’t remember which) is that the builds/artwork will be of Metru builds.

3 Likes

Greg’s job here is to say “yes” to all what TTV send him.

@Kodiak, @Winger, you have two real actual existing sets, how can you draw them differently? You can add 8 heads to each, but it’d be a violation of the rules.

1 Like