BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

And this doesn’t. There are many levels of stylization.

A really good example of what I think these contests should be striving for is the level of similarity between Vrahno’s Nikila drawing and WholesomeGadunka’s Nikila MOC. I know the drawing was made first, but the concept is the same.

Not every piece from the MOC needs to be identifiable in the artwork.

7 Likes

To summarize my views on the subject, I absolutely think there should be MOC contests for the Hagah, I think that the “Metru build” should have Metru-like proportions and contain the Metru gearbox, however I wouldn’t get upset if custom Metru-like torsos were allowed. It’s just that would be a difficult rule to enforce objectively.

Mainly I just want to make sure that we don’t have to make Norik/Iruini clones. I like having shoulder articulation.

Anyways that concludes my thoughts on this topic. For the sake of not going around in circles I’ll leave it at that.

EDIT: Also I think that all of them should have an art contest, but the MOCs and the art are both sent to Greg for approval, not just the art.

2 Likes

The problem with getting the MOCs canonized is the compromise with BS01; the compromise was made because some people didn’t want official builds to have 3d printed parts. The only was you could have the MOCs sent for canonization (without changing the compromise, which is something that everyone was ripping on Dorek for a few weeks back) is if 3d printed parts are disallowed.

1 Like

That’s what the art contest is for. BS01 can use the art at the top of their page and the MOC in the trivia (as it currently is), but the MOCists get the satisfaction of knowing that the MOC is also canon.

2 Likes

BS01’s problem isn’t just with 3d printed parts in the headline; they don’t want 3d printed parts on official builds at all, and that is what the compromise agreed on.

I don’t agree with BS01’s stance, but this is the agreement that was met. (Unless someone wants to correct me?)

1 Like

BS01 doesn’t necessarily have to acknowledge the MOC is canon, if they want they can omit the MOCs canon status, but they just can’t say that it isn’t canon.

In fact, I don’t think BS01 said the MOC from the last contest is explicitly not canon, so functionally it will be identical on their part.

But they can prevent it from becoming canon in the first place, which is what happened with the compromise. BS01 was consulted for the rules of the contest, and one of their contributions/suggestions was to set up the contest such that the MOCs are not sent for canonization.

Those rules cannot be changed without agreement from BS01.

2 Likes

Naturally, I was hoping that this would be a compromise that they could accept given they don’t actually have to say it is canon or show a 3D printed part at the top, but of course it is up to them, and it’s up to TTV if they even want to bring this up to them.

Of course, for all I know TTV already proposed this to them and they rejected it. But I just wanted to get this idea out there.

Those rules, I thought, were to allow for part modification and 3D prints in the contests. I don’t think there’d be a huge issue if the entries were purist.

1 Like

This is true, but then you’d be picking and choosing what MOCs get canonized based on whether or not they use custom parts.

My stance is that custom parts need to be treated exactly the same as traditional parts, whether this is changing masks in an Art Contest, or canonizing MOCs.

Pretty much. I’m not sure why some would ever expect Greg to go against voters, especially when he’s complained about too many people throwing fits over his stories, but I digress.

It’s complicated. Based on the arguments, I wouldn’t be surprised if someone puts pistons on the hips of some torso, similar to the Toa Mata and Maxilos, and calls it a metru build. Hopefully the community as a whole has a more definitive definition of the build that values design consistency.

For sure. Personally, I wouldn’t go for a custom torso, but it’s better than nothing I guess. Hopefully enough people don’t take advantage of it and stretch things accordingly, although I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s some brouhaha over someone getting disqualified.

Regardless, the conversations have been going in circles and just about everyone has made up their mind. If custom torsos that allegedly resemble the the metru torso and proportions are allowed, then fine :+1:

4 Likes

Unfortunately, your stance is not currently compatible with the largest BIONICLE information site :frowning:

I was actually referring to making the contests mandatorily purist.

Rip my career.

Although people should enter with the expectation that people will vote against them based on that creative choice.

1 Like

You can’t put pistons on Norik’s torso, because he doesn’t have them. You can’t put them on Kualus’ torso, because Norik doesn’t have them. It’s a group shot of 6 Toa with the same builds, you can’t make them not Metru, because two of them are already Metru.

1 Like

True, but I also like it that people can enter 3D printed parts, and I don’t think TTV is going to disallow them in the MOC contests anyways. I want to clarify that I am happy with the results of the last contest and wouldn’t throw a fit if these ones went the same way.

Still, I would very much like the possibility of my MOC becoming canon, but I don’t want people to have to sacrifice 3D-printed parts for that to be so. I would be fine if the art contest was decided individually based on the entries, but it sounds like a large portion of people are against that.

So, that only leaves the potential compromise where Greg cononizes both MOCs and art, and BS01 only acknowledges the art portion. Hopefully that can be an option.

IF custom torsos are allowed, I think it would be with the condition that they have very strict regulations regarding proportions and shaping. Hopefully any brouhaha could be avoided by people understanding this from the start.

Maybe the rules could allow for both, but then MOCs that use the actual torso piece are given a bit more leeway.

I should have been more clear; this stance is in the context of these contests (either allow all masks to be changed in the Art, or none of them; either canonize all MOCs, or none of them. Don’t make different rules for custom vs traditional).

This would fit with my previous stance, but good luck convincing everyone to disallow custom parts.

1 Like

No. Do you have any clue how divisive that would be?

At the end of the day, I don’t think any contest that will most likely contain 3D parts (the hagah or any other toa, for example) will have the MOC become canon.

1 Like

I would be fine with it, given the circumstances. The BS01 page could still contain the MOC in the trivia, but they could just omit the fact that it’s canon, it would just be a one sentence difference. Would many other people be very upset about this small omission on the page?

1 Like

Yes. BS01 is regarded as the go-to place for Bionicle knowledge. They can’t just omit something because one of their mods doesn’t like it.

Dorek’s problem isn’t even just custom parts on BS01 either. His problem is with 3d printed parts being used on canon builds at all. Their inclusion on BS01 is only part of the problem.

If that’s the compromise we have to do to have MOC contest entries become canon, then I think it’s better than the alternative where a single mod is forbidding a set from reaching Greg to become canon because he doesn’t like it. To me, that second case seems more controversial.

Dorek isn’t the only person with these problems. He is just the most well-known.

And again: we can talk all day about whether or not the compromise should have been made, but the reality is that it exists. It cannot be changed now without agreement from all parties involved.

1 Like