BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Thats the EXACT issue. Do we need another useless shaped mask without any official tie ins just so we can argue over it? I’d rather see redesigns of masks we already for sure know about.

Then don’t vote for new-shaped masks. I just don’t think it’s fair to ban new shapes.

What exactly is there to argue about?

“This new shape is the standard shape of an unknown Kanohi”

I don’t see how that statement can be disagreed with.

Because we weren’t told that was part of what was in our scope. Its giving ourselves generous over reach. This contest is not about seeing how hard we can abuse the contests and push the line.

It’s really not. Canonically, there are Kanohi powers that we have not seen. The Toa Hagah could just as easily be honouring heroes that wore these masks as masks we have seen.

Just as Helryx canonized the shape of the Mask of Psychometry, these contests can canonize the shape of the Mask of Power X. What’s the difference?

So what’s the argument? I seem to distinctly remember you debating for using known mask shapes in the contests yesterday.

1 Like

Can you quote me on that? That doesn’t seem like something I would say.

The difference is Helryx used a mask of Psychometry that looked like a mask of Psychometry. The Hagah don’t use masks that look like those shapes. Therefore it’s not in our scope to create a new mask design that looks like X because we’d have to leave that ambiguous and then just have a permanently ambiguous, useless mask that is not confirmed to actually be anything.

But it is confirmed to be something: a power that we have not yet seen. I’d say that that is well within our scope.

It is within canon to say that there are powers we have not seen before.

The way I interpreted your argument - and yes I understand you used vague verbs like “can” and “could” - was that the Hagah masks in the art should be predetermined in the MOC contest by using known mask shapes.

How wonderfully absolutely useless. Fine, I won’t say ban it, but I won’t vote for any useless shapes personally.

1 Like

Yes

No. Both should be allowed. (Hence “can”)

Hard no.
There is nothing in canon to suggest that they can’t have gold. This would be ridiculous to ban.
If you don’t want them to look like other elements, then don’t vote for gold gaaki/kualus. But these are canon contests, not “what some people don’t want to see” contests.

4 Likes

I don’t think you can just slap everything with the “don’t like it, don’t vote” principle. At that point, don’t barr anything from entry. These are canon contests, as you said, and some things could create problems with canon because you’d have Toa of Ice or Water who are indistinguishable from Toa of Light and Psionics. The Makuta chose the armor for the Toa Hagah; why would they choose something that gave the Toa misleading color schemes, and only for 2 of those Toa?

3 Likes

This is kind of similar to Greg’s logic for all Kanohi having standard shapes, to avoid confusion.

So it could make sense to ban gold from Kualus and Gaaki.

Though, at the same time, the Hagah are already violating this logic with their masks, so maybe anything goes.

1 Like

Light Toa didn’t exist yet. Plus, we already have conflicting colors. We have orange and gunmetal Toa of stone and Iron is supposed to be orange and gunmetal. We understand there are sometimes individual exceptions. Those colors are rough guideline generalizations, not the only presentable appearance.
And if there’d ever be an exception, I feel like the Hagah would definitely be them.

1 Like

Transmogged Kanohi are something we have a precedent for, though, and have had for years. Miscolored Toa aren’t a well-documented phenomenon outside of certain Toa with color schemes that neither they nor a second party deliberately chose, such as Hahli, who got lime joints after mutating.

Av-Matoran are naturally white and gold by default, so they would have known what a Toa of Light would look like. Pohatu wasn’t gunmetal, so I’m not sure who you’re thinking of.

Regardless, this isn’t really a hill I care about dying on. If Kualas gets gold armor, it won’t be the dumbest or most confusing thing in canon, nor is armor color restriction the most important rule this contest may have.

2 Likes

Yeah, maybe.

Also

That’s yellow.

Why not? Everyone else does.

Some non-canon things should be enforced. Rule 11, for example: there’s nothing to say Helryx couldn’t look like Hoseryx, but we really needed that rule for the contest to run smoothly.

Not having Toa look like other Toa, though… Well, I point you to the blue and gold Helryx in the helryx contest. It was allowed. I’ve no doubt a blue and white/green Helryx would have been allowed. So why should gold gaaki/kualus be banned now?

1 Like

No, it isn’t. Its counted as bright light orange. Iron Toa are burnt orange. We don’t have a burnt orange color.

Psionics are supposed to be varying shades of blue and secondary gold. Its not even mentioned if they’re the same blue shades as Water Toa. These are really semantics and I don’t feel like overlap is some horrible phenomena.

1 Like