BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I only use it when I feel certain things shouldn’t be enforced. If the majority agrees it shouldn’t be allowed, then the votes will indicate such.

I’ll also use it for things I disagree with. I really don’t want Orde to have a sanok. I don’t like it, I don’t think it works with the canon abilities of psionics, and i won’t vote for it. But I don’t think it should be disallowed just because of my opinion.

We know they can be different. Why should they be confusing? Once again, we know of 2 Hagah, and neither has a color scheme for a different element, only one that’s either rare or totally unique.

Iron is specifically burnt orange. Hewkii is ■■■■■■■ yellow decidedly not that.

EDIT: If you mean him as a Matoran, he doesn’t have any metallic colors, so there’s no conflict with Iron.

This is the one good example you’ve provided so far, looking at Hafu and Taipu. However, Tan is only intrinsic to the element of Sand, which isn’t its own thing in the MU, as there are no Matoran of Sand. Ergo, this one’s still kinda iffy.

do you ever have the one where he comes in through the window

2 Likes

If we’re talking matoran colors…

Onepu, kaj, and Damek are Ba-matoran.
Jaatikko, Matoro, and Kopeke (pre rebuild) are vo-matoran.
Midak is a de-Matoran.

Hewkii isn’t yellow, and I only personally referenced his Inika Toa. But it still could easily be confusing. I agree it isn’t still a perfect Iron Toa color scheme but it’s so darn close.

Not true, several color overlaps.

The only thing you’ve solidly provided is that to your opinion that it could be confusing. Which I get.
All I’m saying, is that theres nothing saying overlap never occurs at times, and we have no evidence saying that a Toa Hagah can not wear a traditionally different metallic armor based off of what we’ve previously seen. And there hasn’t been any evidence to prove me otherwise besides opinion.

Krakua looks like a Toa of Earth. I don’t like it. But those are canonically his colors. Both versions of Toa Hahli have color schemes borrowed from other elements (though I hear the argument that she was changed unnaturally both times, and also her Inika color scheme fits her lightning powers)

I don’t believe there’s any canon that states Gaaki and Kualus shouldn’t have gold armor, so I don’t think they should be banned. I’m also firmly in the camp that doesn’t want them to have gold, but I don’t think there’s any canon-derived reason to ban it.

5 Likes

I also don’t want them gold. But I don’t think it should be banned. There’s no evidence that it should be, other than at an immediate glance it could throw someone off who is deeply informed on Bionicle lore.

2 Likes

If your argument is not that we don’t have a rule there can’t be gold toa of water so we can, then what the heck is it?

1 Like

Oh yes, and how could I forget, those two ta-matoran it The Legend continues that are black and brown?

1 Like

Why should the Hagah’s masks be confusing? (Wrong shapes)

The answer is basically “because Lego said so”.

There is precedent for the Hagah specifically to have aspects of their appearance overlap with that of someone else.

For example, Norik looks like a Kiril-wearer when he is really a Pehkui-wearer.

By that same reasoning, there is no reason that Gaaki can’t look like a Toa of Psionics.

And again, no one is saying that these two should be confusing, only that there isn’t a canon reason that they can’t be.

Given these responses, I’m sure that there will be plenty of non-gold Kualuses or Gaakis to vote for.

Yeah … I think. Why on earth would we not be consistent with defined elements when we could?

2 Likes

Legit the only good counterexample so far. I have to concede this.

He is now that he’s a Toa.

Good thing they’re not canon lmao

Greg gave an in-universe reason to do this, albeit as a workaround for Lego shifting gears with who the sets were.

And I never said that she can’t.

1 Like

We’re talking about Hagah wearing armor. You were talking about changing primary color scheme with your point on the blue Toa of fire. I’m not even sure we’re on the same page with what colors are being changed anymore because of how off your example was. I’m not saying any primary color should be gold for a Toa of water, but a secondary armor color could be changed to represent a rare metal, and based off of evidence-that there is nothing besides the opinion that it could be confusing-indicated otherwise that this would not be allowed.

This is just you arguing with the color wheel…

They are though.
Their quest for Artakha is mentioned in Bionicle World.

1 Like

greg wrote the legend continues so it’s actually more canon than mnog

1 Like

ok folks, we’ve officially defeated the purpose of color-coding elements.

Yay.

I’ve decided to make my Toa of Fire have an orange and white color scheme (obviously because of all the ash) and my Toa of Plasma to have a white and gold one.

2 Likes

Wrong, it’s me being right! SCOTLAAAAAAAAAAAAND

Well, I cannot express how disappointing that is.

In any case, the renders were actually of a Po- and Onu-Matoran, respectively, only used for the game because…well, budgets, I’d assume. There’s not much reason to take the images as gospel, especially with the dubious canonicity of the films.

3 Likes

The thing is, I (personally) want the Hagah to not match their standard elemental colours, in order to stand out. Like how gold isn’t a standard Air colour.

There’s also two “types” of wrong colours:

• The Toa doesn’t match their elemental colours, but also doesn’t match any other elemental colours
  • The Toa doesn’t match their elemental colours, but does match another element

And it can get tricky to make the distinction. If a Toa is green, are they a Toa of Air, or are they just a monochrome Toa of The Green?

For the Hagah, I think(?) everyone here is on board with the first type of wrong colours, since that’s what Iruini has.

The debate is over the second type.

And again, I bring up the masks: The Hagah’s masks aren’t just some random unique shape (type 1); they are specifically in the shape of other masks (type 2).

So if the Hagah are willing to intentionally violate the standard shapes of masks, I see no reason that they wouldn’t accidentally violate colour coordination for the sake of using precious metals. (But only for the metallic armour. The rest of each Toa should be required to follow standard colours)

3 Likes

You must hate the fact that canon has several times had overlap. Thats okay tho, you can figure it out with a search to the wiki if you get confused. Your point on changing primary colors is you and you alone. Enjoy that strawman more.

Hey folks! Just chiming in to let you all know that we’re going to be shutting down canon contest discussion over the course of our “break” period, which will last, at minimum, the rest of the year. You’re welcome to keep discussing things privately amongst yourselves and in other communities, of course, but topics regarding the contest will be locked until 2021.

This, in large part, is due to our aforementioned desire to take a “stress break” for the Holiday season and enjoy some relaxation and good cheer in the midst of this awful year we’ve all had. Taking some time away to recharge our mental batteries, think about other things, etc. That applies to you guys as well! I’d encourage you all to have a wonderful December and inject some positivity into your lives where possible.

“But Meso, why does that necessitate locking of topics? Aren’t we allowed to keep discussing things?” In a perfect world, yes. However, since Eljay and I are going to be taking a leave of absence from participating in canon contest related discussions, all the current discussions will just continue endlessly without any official word or participation from us. As such, it just kinda becomes a bunch of arguing in the wind, and I’d rather not waste you guys’ time with that, making posts that we won’t end up reading and participating in conversations we won’t engage with. It generally seems unproductive and defeats the purpose of the break if we keep coming in here to debate things or, worse yet, shut down or moderate hostile posts or arguments.

“But Meso, you said you’d participate in discussions and hash out the answers to highly debated questions during the break period!!” Don’t worry, we still will. When January rolls around, we’ll open back up the floodages and engage directly with you guys in figuring out all the hot button topics for the Hagah (Metru builds, metallic colors, piece requirements, etc.) as well as address feedback on some of the highly contested rules from the Artakha contest. If I’m being realistic, we likely won’t BEGIN the Hagah contests until March AT LEAST, with the possibility of it taking longer. These guys are complex to deal with, so we want to make sure it goes off without a hitch.

So yeah, that’s basically it! Sorry to curtail the discussion, as I know a lot of you enjoy it, but my advice to everybody is to take a load off over this holiday season and forget about us and these contests for a while! Make some MoCs, write some fanfiction, do some artwork, go re-read the BIONICLE story, do whatever helps you celebrate the theme, and we’ll come right back outta the gate swinging in 2021.

Thanks everybody!

-Mesonak

40 Likes

We have made some changes. We have added three new rules. Two under 4:

And we’ve split 8e and created 8f:

7 Likes