BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Any updates on how much longer until the votes are up? just curious been awfully quiet lately

1 Like

My guess is sometime this weekend? From past contests, the admins have said that this stuff takes time. Organizing polls, waiting on MOC fixes, plus juggling the channel and everyday life.

Patience is a virtue, mon ami.

5 Likes

I was just curious, I didn’t ask out of impatience

There are only three virtues, and patience is not one of them.

18 Likes

darn.

10 Likes

Don’t do this. This isn’t helpful.

We’re working on the polls. A lot to sift through. Thanks for the patience, everyone.

9 Likes

Noted, and apologies.

A most likely obvious answer to this question but I’m assuming people who have entered the contest cannot vote during the polls correct? Not that I would but is there a way to track if a contestant voted at all?

Apologies for the very late comment but I’m a night owl lol.

People who have entered can indeed vote.

For their own entries, even.

2 Likes

Huh. I’m surprised by that.

What would be the point of stopping someone from voting for their favourite depiction of a character? Wouldn’t that defeat the purpose of all of this?

3 Likes

Especially because there are usually clear favorites, and a single vote doesn’t usually make a huge difference.

1 Like

That makes sense.

Can I change custom part design to official set part design if I already submitted my entry?
Specifically I had a customized mask because official wasn’t available and I just found part model that is basically the model of official part and I would like to use the latter, as it is true to my artistic vision and the custom one was a placeholder.

1 Like

Because I’m a nerd, I made a spreadsheet with information on every Hagah entered into this contest. You can find that here.

Ultimately I was curious about what the most popular entries / aesthetics for the Hagah were, so I could make a more informed decision on what to vote for.

Here’s some things I’ve discovered so far:

Colour Choices

Kualus Colours
Bomonga Colours
Gaaki Colours
Pouks Colours

Silver (unsurprisingly) is the most popular colour for all Toa except Bomonga, though markedly so for Gaaki. Gold Bomonga seems to be particularly appealing which I’m also glad of. For that reason I’ll be rooting for silver Gaakis and gold Bomongas. For Pouks and Kualus, I’ll either go both gunmetal or gold Pouks and silver Kualus.

Types of Entries

% Entries

Not much to say here, but I thought it was interesting to see how many digital MOCs, physical MOCs, and art there were. I was very surprised there weren’t more art entries.

Consent to Changes

Spear Consent
Colour Consent
Mask Consent
‘Not Given’ means they didn’t write down their preferences, which equates to No.

This is something which I was naturally interested in. I was hoping more people would give consent but I’m mostly optimistic about not getting black-sheep designs.

Most Popular Entries / Predicted Finalists

Note that likes are for the topic: not the individual Hagah. So it’s very likely preferences won’t swing exactly in this order, or that likes are even representative of voter preferences. Entries that were posted earlier also tended to get more likes. My prediction, however, is that you will see at least some of these designers (particularly Perp3tual) reaching the finals.

View Predicted Finalists

Gaaki

Bomonga

Kualus

Pouks

My Preferences

Naturally, I will preferentially vote for what looks closer to Norik and Iruini. Depending on how much mask/spear overlap there is among the finalists, I may vote for entries that don’t consent to these changes. I can’t say the same for colour consent, however.

With that in mind, I will probably vote as follows:

• Kodiak or Galva’s Gaaki
  • Perp or UnderscoreDouble’s Bomonga (the latter’s, while its limbs don’t look like a real set’s would, is sufficiently set-like for my tastes)
  • Kodiak’s Kualus (or Perp’s, if I’m right in assuming he consented to colour changes)
  • Galva’s Pouks

If anybody would like me to make some graphs for anything else, let me know.

25 Likes

My kualus got the mistika claw as an addition to the shoulder armor

Also the gaakis by @THE_DOOR_OPENER and me should have “Backwards Torso” as a mod In my opinion.

@Perp3tual 's Bomonga got Kalmah’s Armor for the shoulder. The arms are Vahki legs

All I can say is I will vote for the Hagah with the most unorthadox main color and metallic color combos.

Because and this is a very personal opinion, Silver Gaaki and Kualus seems super boring.

So any entry that has a silver Gaaki or Kualus probably won’t recieve my vote. Similarly I’m not gonna vote for a Gold Pouks

As for other personal preferences I would not vote for too custom of hagahs which eliminates out of your predictions: Synova32s hagah - Pouks(Its gold however), This Gaaki:

TheUnderscoreddoubles Bomonga

Lastly some other minor preferences I have are, no metru foot hunchback or two colored shades. So here Galva_Nize Bomonga, Pouks and doubles Bomonga gets eliminate from my preferences

Which leaves for the finalists from your prediction these: Which I would maybe vote for as follows

Bomonga

Gaaki

Kualus

Pouks

None of these would be my ideal Hagah, I wouldn’t be disappointed if all the Hagah above won but I’m not too crazy in any of them either which is why I hope we see some different options in the actual finals tbh.

Not related but I hope if anything at least one of my Hagah make it past round one at least. Also on the topic of my Hagah, my moc doesn’t use pearl gold (or copper if that is what you choose) armor, it uses reddish gold but this is just a nit pick

As for some statistics I would like to see is which entries you predict will go out in the first round. The suspense from waiting for the polls is killing me and I frankly just want it to be over with.

5 Likes

But the winning mocs can be altered in the art portion. Why vote for mocs with unorthodox colors when you could vote for a moc with a better design?

Both categories could have their colors changed to either standard or non-standard colors in the art portion.

9 Likes

First and foremost its very much a personal preferences. Secondly if I were too vote for more orthodox colored hagah, statistically the chances of them then being changed into unorthodox colored hagah in the drawing portion is less likely than if the reverse were to happen.
Lastly design is part of my voting process too, I’ll vote for the hagah that matches most of my preferences. I have preferences for the designs as well so if a orthodox colored Hagah fills most of my design related preferences, I’ll vote for it over a hagah with unorthodox colors that only fills one or two of those preferences.

I’m gonna leave it at that tho.

1 Like

This is a personal preference as well, but since the Hagah come from different teams and different parts of the Matoran Universe as well, shouldn’t the Hagah we choose be similar to the preexisting ones without being clones (they wouldn’t look like from different places) but at the same time not radically different with excessively complex builds that we definitely wouldn’t have had as official sets in the past?

This is something that I have been thinking before the contest even started and thought that more people would mention it since it would give us more canon accurate appearances. What I’m trying to propose is something in the middle, not too similar and not too different.
What do you think about this idea?

3 Likes