BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I think there’s this. That means: The breathing thing on the side is gone. And the place where the tube would be is gone. Additionally the visor is gone. And all that makes KhingKs version a pretty accurate representation

1 Like

Yes and also no. Tuyet should look like a regular toa HOWEVER I find it rather dumb that all of the Toa Mangai who came from different continents have the exact same body plan. It’s like trying to make a diverse team of old british men in bowties.
( I will get you a silver nuva get you get that reference)

Yeah thats just a personal thing. I like the metru build just a lot. And with

I meant all of them not just the mangai. If i could i would make all of the Toa metru builds but i neither have the time nor the pieces (and money) to do that. (And it would be too boring over time)

1 Like

Thank goodness someone has said that! I totally agree and same with Marandar! although in Tuyets case perhaps there could be some visible sign of corruption? At least when she has the toa stone.

THIS
Please for the love of Mata Nui, people, stay away from Vahki heads, high heels or even the same size as Roodaka. What we know about Lariska is that she is: Dark teal, size of a toa and as of story end has a mechanical left arm. This does leave plenty of room for imagination, but when we read the context of Birth of a Dark Hunter Nidhiki says that Roodaka has an unusual face whereas there is no standout comments about Lariska, this makes me personally think that Lariska does not have side facing eyes nor a muzzle

However there is never any highly detailed descriptions of characters so we have been left guessing about say whether she has digitigrade legs or a tail or as someone suggested feathers. However I suspect such a stealthy person would not have anything to showy nor anything that could get snagged on a branch etc.

7 Likes

Lariska is canonically the Kakapo confirmed.

5 Likes

:gregf:
A flightless, feather covered, endangered creature?
That could work and shall work.
We now need to make Lariska’s species a reference to the Kakapo!

Personally, I’d prefer that all of the Toa (except for the Hagah, obviously) have simple custom builds, like Krakua or Helryx.

Part of the problem with the Inika build (to me, at least), is that the shoulders are too wide for a character at this scale. Maybe Marendar or the Golden Skinned Being…

I agree with this.

I agree with this as well, though I’m not quite sure how you’d enforce it; there’s a lot of Dark Hunter-type builds that use the Vahki head, and that’s one of the most iconic features of the Vortixx. (Unless you copy the Vortixx body shape…)

I’m not sure if I’d say “should”, but I’d definitely prefer it. And yeah, Sanok-Orde all the way.

I also think it would be interesting if some of the Yesterday Quest Toa used projectile weapons, since they weren’t used for very many characters outside of the sets. (And it would give Orde another reason to have a Sanok).

This isn’t just a preference, this is an actual rule.

I suspect that this will be an actual rule as well. For the Art Portion, at least.

Whatever colour she is, I hope she has a different palette than Orde. Bionicle parts have been released in four shades of blue (arguably more, if you count metallic blue and trans blue) and two (ish) shades of gold, so variability should be achievable. Plus, I think Orde being a darker blue-and-gold and, Varian being brighter fits both of their personalities.

To be fair, black has been used as a filler/secondary colour a lot in Bionicle; I think you could get away with it. Just look at Artakha; he was only ever described as gray-green, yet his canon appearance has gray as a generic secondary colour.

Nidhiki just can’t have silver, since that has been explicitly stated. Besides, I wouldn’t want him to have it anyways; I really don’t like when Toa have random non-Elemental metallic colours (looking at you, hypothetical gunmetal Tuyet).

I’m pretty sure that it is.

On the one hand, Greg has always left the possibility that there might be other differences between the Mahri masks and standard masks, in which case Khingk’s and Galva’s masks could still work.

On the other hand, Mazeka, who is known to wear a standard Volitak, uses the standard part, and there’s really no reason to assume that it’s non-canon.

Additionally, Greg has said before that he left some appearances and/or names open-ended in case the set designers wanted to reuse parts or depict standard version of masks, which is what happened with Mazeka.

So, yeah… I’m pretty sure Mazeka’s Volitak is standard. (That doesn’t necessarily mean that the other Mahri masks are, though. They could still have differences beyond the tubes and visors.)

3 Likes

Orde should absolutely not have the Sanok because it makes no sense. Unless maybe he has a ranged weapon.

This is my objective opinion and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong.

8 Likes

COrdeak Blaster.

2 Likes

I only say this because it’s how I envisioned her, since she was related to the Metru era in the serials she appeared in.

Inika build is good, you guys are just mean.

3 Likes

Here’s my three cents on the inika build: it’s fine for sets, but we as moccists can be so much more creative. I’d rather say Orde, for example, have a cool custom build, rathe then just a rearmored Tarix.

5 Likes

Unpopular opinion: Most of the time being so much more creative is just doing what the Inika build does, with more parts.

1 Like

Because of my stance against fanfiction pieces, I feel I have to clear up this misconception caused by over ten years of fanfiction and unanalyzed personal preference:

My guys… the Mahri masks (AND Inika masks for that matter) are the standard designs. That’s not just me saying that (although to be perfectly clear, I am absolutely saying this), that’s TTV saying that:

["In Greg’s mind, there isn’t a meaningful difference in appearance between Inika masks; they were not “mutated” in design to look different, only the material the masks were made out of changed. As such, we feel it’s completely fine to allow for the Inika masks to be included as it’s completely possible that any Hagah could wear such a mask. Unfortunately, by this same logic, any fan-made “inorganic” Inika masks or custom altered Mahri masks (which we’re about to get to) created by the 3D modeling community would NOT be up for canonization, as these masks don’t fit Greg’s prior specification of what the masks would look like when worn by other Toa. It’s the pieces released in the sets or bust I’m afraid.

“Finally, in reference to the Mahri masks and the “breathing tube” discussion, our official stance on the issue (based off Greg’s wording in numerous answer) is that there is no design difference in the masks worn by the Toa Mahri and the “normal” versions of the masks,with the exception of breathing tubes and visors. The following quotes serve as our evidence for this, and although plenty of people have presented possible alternate ways to interpret Greg’s words, we feel that when taken in aggregate, these quotes paint a fairly clear vision of the intent of his words…”](Toa Hagah Canon Contest Survey and Final Q&A - #371 by Mesonak)

All the fanfiction pieces that claim they’re “standard versions” are just that: fanfiction. And, if a fanfiction piece is canonized as a pre-existing mask (such as in the case of Chiara’s Volitak), that won’t be the supposed “standard design,” it will be a variant, like Lhikan’s Hau.

Moreover, Nidhiki wears a green* Volitak mostly identical to Nuparu’s (or in other words, identical to Mazeka’s).

I’m pointing out this particular instance because it’s abundantly clear that Greg had a canon appearance for Nidhiki’s mask in mind, and I can’t see the TTV that made the above quote telling people to go ham in that department. Begrudgingly however, I can see them saying that for basically the rest of the contests.

*Of course, I’m perfectly fine if there’s a ruling similar to the Hagah where the MOCs can be entered wearing a silver mask, but the final art must change it to green.

1000% this. In theory, I don’t necessarily have a problem with Orde wearing a Sanok, but doing it just because someone else did it? Nah, not here for it. I know the rationalization is that the Sanok looks like it has a “brain” design or whatever on it, but that’s not good enough a reason for me.

Personally, that design always reminded me of a tire tread :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You know they went back on that post, right?

8 Likes

you are objective wrong

you are objectively right

1 Like

No, u. Long live the efficiency of those pieces

2 Likes

long live the broken and worn sockets

long live the custom limbs that accomplish the same purpose
also the vahki hip is infinitely superior fight me

2 Likes

Just WHY

I … I think I love you.

2 Likes

Because he isn’t. Greg literally said multiple times that he has no silver.

My reason is because I like BCs version. It has a nice design.

Yes that is somewhat true but,
according to BS01:

It allows its user to turn virtually any inanimate object into a projectile weapon and hit almost any target they aim for.[1] For example, a blade of grass could be thrown to cut a chain.
so anything can be thrown with it.

3 Likes