BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

All of the ones you cited I don’t understand as they all seem like legitimate criticisms. If there’s a MOC which has:

-exposed ball connectors
-exposed ball sockets
-ugly color scheme
-exposed axle
-messy appearance

Why shouldn’t someone criticize it? I’m all for new building techniques, but even I have to admit a lot of my older MOCs’ new design techniques were pretty garbage. Just because it’s a new design doesn’t mean it’s a good one.

Also, you say

to which I raise the entirety of the Artakha contest. And nobody’s getting their kicks out of squashing creative liberty by telling someone how to improve.

2 Likes

Because all of those things are opinions on whether or not that looks bad.
Frankly I don’t care about exposed balls, sockets, and axles on a MOC and I bet many others do not as well.
One of the most common popular methods I see to address this subjective opinion is to absolutely stuff a MOC with tiny pieces to simply fill space (which to me looks even clunkier and worse)
There aren’t laws to this sort of thing because its literally all interpretation but theres quite often people speaking hyper-objectively on what makes a MOC ‘good’

They’re opinions which are universally agreed on and have been for years. Not just here, but most everywhere. Those who don’t take issue with it are very much in the minority.

There are also people who are some of the best builders in the world that not only don’t do that, but go out of their way to encourage others to avoid it also, their experience and knowledge giving them credibility on the topic.

Yes it’s an opinion, but it’s one of the most prevailing MOCing opinions out there. And nobody, not a single person, is reiterating it out of spite, or attempting to crush creativity by bringing it up. 90% of the time an exposed socket or ball exists, it is a byproduct of an intended look, and would have been avoided if the MOCist knew how.

Ergo constructive criticism. To build alternative solutions to the problems at hand. If that squashes creativity for you, don’t bother posting your MOCs here, because someone out there is bound to give you helpful advice on how to improve.

5 Likes

I’m not trying to imply that it is done spitefully, just simply that it is occurring as a by-product of this whole mindset that has developed of “theres a few correct ways to do things and things that are no-no because blank said so”

I will do what I want, thanks for the opinion.

While we’re discussing exposed axles, check out this Marendar I’m working on way in advance. I had this idea - what if he had a bunch of 1/2 module exposed axles sticking out, like dull spikes or rivets?

11 Likes

I like it! I know he is a Bio-mechical being like the GSR inhabitants but I imagine he’d be on the more cybernetic side of it to fulfill his duties, and that definitely works towards the aesthetic imo

1 Like

I’m serious about getting my design canonized. I’m open to constructive criticism and alternate ideas, just not for the colour scheme on this exact MOC. The solid-blue colour scheme was basically the only reason I made this design in the first place, so changing that kind of defeats the purpose of my (eventual) contest entry; if the community decides that monochrome Tuyet “isn’t it”, then I’d prefer to just pick between whatever other people come up with.

3 Likes

You don’t have to take feedback. You’re allowed to post what the hell you want, so long as it doesn’t qualify as harassment or spam. But there’s something you need to know about the creative process: our projects often become something very different than what we initially set out to make, and that’s generally for the best.

I have a novel in the works that started out as a mythology-inspired buddy comedy. It could’ve been a YA novel with the way it was going. However, after learning more about my subject matter, I realized that the novel I initially set out to make was never going to turn out good because it simply had no substance. I was pursuing so many ideas just because they sounded novel and not because they’d ever amount to anything actually interesting, and I was missing out on telling a very different story–one that might actually offer some social commentary as well as a more emotional, fulfilling narrative, even if it certainly wasn’t kid-friendly anymore.

This process continued after I started university, where I wrote excerpts for my writing classes and received feedback. I realized that the direction I was taking my protagonist, even though I thought it was a good idea, made him really annoying and unlikeable. Without feedback from other people, I wouldn’t have realized this until it was too late, and the book’s eventual publication would certainly flop.

The book, on its current trajectory, is very different from how it started years ago, and it’ll undoubtedly change even more as I go forward. That’s ok. It’s still my book because I’m writing it the way only I can. But to make sure it doesn’t suck, I need to know what other people think about it. My reasons for starting the project don’t have to figure into the final product. I wanted to write a silly comedy. I ended up with a dark, political story about PTSD, largely because I accepted change and feedback as a natural part of the creative process.

Take feedback or don’t. It’s up to you. But again, if you really want your Tuyet canonized, you need to be open to the idea that your Tuyet can change and improve in ways you didn’t expect. I submitted a Tahu revamp a while ago, and I got feedback on his color scheme that I didn’t even consider. I wasn’t sure how to incorporate it, but I tried to remedy it, and it worked. I didn’t want to do it at first, but once I did, I saw the merit of the suggestion.

5 Likes

Given my stance towards lore, “oppression” seems like the correct term to call it. Though maybe to clarify - you have to take my message up above in context with the previous ones.

The key point that makes them oppressive is the withholding of pro/contra polls from TTV’s side, as that makes it impossible for one strongly affected part of the community to actually get a word in.

To clarify:
I am still overall arguing for getting official polls that allow the community to at any point legally stop the contests. Which I hardly think is too much to ask.

If these would be implemented, this would solve a lot of arguments at least from my side. It would not make me a fan of the contests, but it would show me that contra-contest opinions are at least considered and not just ignored.

1 Like

i don’t like it
those axles just don’t look good to me

TTV is not a government. They are a website holding polls to determine whether or not someone’s figure and drawing goes up on a fan wiki for a dead toyline. This is not oppression, it is you being upset (rightfully or not) about something in a dead toyline not going the way you like. Oppression is when people in places of power actually restrict you from doing something important, like me not being able to receive the medical care I need or dress the way I please, not a detail in a storyline being made up.

I know this is an overused sentiment, but please, step outside and reset your bearing on normality.

10 Likes

If you can replicate it without it being jarring on the torso and arms, I’d say go for it. Although I do have to say, those upper thighs need some serious armoring.

2 Likes

That you would call it that is the most self-entitled, over-dramatic thing I’ve ever read on this board. You’re not having your rights taken away, you’re just having your headcanons decanonized. To call it oppression is the highest form of belittling to actual oppression, which many people face in the developed world.

And if it’s oppression to you to have your headcanons decanonized, what is it to us, who want the right to ADD to canon? I can just as easily call it “oppression” to not have an official appearance for a character if I want, and a majority of fans–whether you like it or not–want that canonization.

At this point, all you’re doing is complaining and demanding that the entire fandom drop what we’re doing and conform to your precious little headcanons because you refuse to do what most of us do and just ignore canon you don’t like. If the canon contests upset you that much, you’re letting them upset you.

We’re having fun. We’re getting together for a group activity. And, no, no matter how much you insist on it, it’s not at your expense. We’d all like to wipe our hands of these petty arguments and focus on the fun in all this. Once the Hagah contest ends, it’ll probably be smooth sailing, and that’s what I want to set my sights on, not some horse that’s been beaten reduced to a horse-flavored liquid due to post-mortem beating.

This is a silly hill to die on and your objections to the contests are little more than theatrics at this point. If you reply to this comment, I don’t even know if I’ll have it in me to respond, because honestly, I’m sick of the discourse around these contests being pedantic, circular, inconsequential arguments that serve no purpose, and I’m frankly not very proud of participating in those farcical “debates.”

15 Likes

The definition Wikipedia uses is as follows:

Oppression is malicious or unjust treatment or exercise of power, often under the guise of governmental authority or cultural opprobrium. Oppression may be overt or covert, depending on how it is practiced. Oppression refers to discrimination when the injustice does not target and may not directly afflict everyone in society but instead targets specific groups of people.

Of course, there are different levels of oppression, with some worse than others. But right here we have what I perceive as:

Unjust treatment under the guise of canonical power. This leads to the discrimination of a specific group of people who have no way of changing it unless the holder of the canonical power (TTV, as they are the sole connection to Greg and host the contests) grants them a legal voice.

One of the wonderful things about fiction is that authors only have as much power as you choose to let them, so you can entirely disregard the results of these contests, or heck, even some of Greg’s more questionable decisions. TTV and Biosector01 only have power over canon right now because we as a community have decided they ought to, and you can decide they don’t have that power over your Bionicle experience. You don’t need to believe that they have this legal voice, or that Greg does either. You have decided that you’re oppressed, and you can also decide that you’re not.

9 Likes

No, Voot, you don’t understand. Helryx has TUBES. TUBES!!! This is LITERALLY what George Washington warned us about in 1984. WAKE UP, SHEEPLE.

12 Likes

Fair enough, it’s not for everyone

Yeah, the shin was made at about noon and the thigh happened at about 2 AM, so that’s what happened there.

1 Like

Me checking on this topic 99% of the time:

14 Likes

That is just the same old argument again now. Of course I wouldn’t bother about these contests if I didn’t bother about canon too closely. But I do. And apparently you don’t. Which is entirely fair, but why do these then need to be canon contests?

Seems to me like everyone would be happy if Greg was not involved and it was just a TTV-internal thing. Heck, I’d even enjoy that then.

1 Like

I suppose I have one more question, barring all the attempts at legalese and absolute ridiculous claims of “oppression”: If involving yourself in canon this deep makes you this miserable, why bother?

4 Likes