BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Okay, he’s mostly Mata red. It’s a pretty negligible amount of Metru red.

Its just about half and half.
Either way thats not what monotone means?

:man_shrugging: if you insist

I forgot who said they wanted to see a metallic and metru blue tuyet (or if someone asked) but here’s a recolor to see how it looks.

1 Like

And others.

13 Likes

they all have grey heads.

1 Like

I’ve been biased against artwork for the building/artwork phase because I find them more abstract and would rather see the final artwork based on something that is visualized with standard pieces. This image here is giving me great reconsideration, but then the argument could be made that the entry should have used physical models in the first place (though this contest has shown my tastes to be contrary to what the majority of people want).

2 Likes

Well, it’s kinda monochrome and that’s the reason why I think that this model doesn’t look that good.

Your MOC works so well because it’s actually not monochrome, there are quite a lot of glowing red accents that make it pleasing to the eye.

Okay, there are indeed some monochrome Matoran with no story significance, but I think that my point still stands

3 Likes

Careful of what you say about my boy Kapura.

14 Likes

Kapura most definitely had story significance.

So does my Tuyet

5 Likes

Okay, you win, there is one single monochrome Bionicle character that is worth caring about!
It doesn’t change the fact that I don’t like monochrome colour schemes though, so my point still does, in fact, stand.

3 Likes

:man_facepalming: dude, are you really saying that those images disprove his point?

And even if you are, all of those are artwork, sprites for a game, with shading that makes them look way more visually interesting. And even with that, they look kinda boring.

4 Likes

That depends what his point is.

If he’s trying to say “Tuyet shouldn’t be monochrome because no one else is”, then yes, they do.

If he’s trying to say “Tuyet shouldn’t be monochrome because I don’t like the look”, then no. That’s an opinion, and there’s no disproving to be done.

3 Likes

I care about the Fikou :disappointed:

At the end of the day, it depend on the MOC itself if monochrome looks good or no, but I agree that is more probable that a non-monochrome Tuyet would look “better” that a monochrome one.

2 Likes

I believe he’s saying “Tuyet shouldn’t be monochrome because monochrome MOCs look bad”. Which they kinda do. No one’s ever shown me any monochrome build of any pertinent size that looked good without major highlighting.

5 Likes

Changing the subject from preferences to rules, should be the size be restricted? I remember it was quite open for Helryx, but I think the same restriction should be imposed as for the Hagah: no shorter than Whenua and no taller than Iruini. Maybe she could be one stud shorter or taller, to be more lax, but no titan size Tuyet or Matoran size Tuyet.

Yes, that’s basically what I was trying to say.

What makes a good colour scheme for a Bionicle MOC?

• Good colour contrasts
  • good colour combinations
  • good colour blocking

With one single colour the things listed above are impossible, meaning that monochrome Bionicle MOCs are objectively inferior to non-monochrome ones.

I think that this discussion is going nowhere at this point, I was hoping that everyone would be discussing the sword I made for my Tuyet, but oh well… so let’s move on to other subjects

3 Likes

it was quite good

1 Like

I think the size should be a guideline rather than a rule.

2 Likes

Absolutely not. Every point you just gave is completely subjective, as is the choice of whether they’re even necessary.

You’ve made it perfectly clear that you don’t like monochrome MOCs and that’s fine, but don’t try to attach any level of objectivity to your opinion.

2 Likes