Toa Tuyet MOC

I’ve had this design pretty much complete for the last few weeks, but I finally hammered out the last kink in her arms. I intend to enter this in the Tuyet Canon Contest. I’m not sure if the contest will require, or even allow, either her sword or the Nui Stone shards in her armour, but I’ve included both.

I really only had two ideas in mind when designing this. This first was that she would be a simple-custom build, like Krakua or Helryx. The second was to make her as purely dark blue as I possibly could. I’m very happy with the results.

Most importantly, though, she scales very well with the Toa Lhikan model:

Additionally, the build almost uses only pieces in colours that they came in. The exception is the use of a handful of Part 32449 in Dark Blue. They could easily be replaced with black with very little impact on the colour scheme, but I’m kind of hoping that Lego will recolour the part by the time the Contest comes around (I had been excited for Set 42128 based on leaked images, but now it seems that that set actually uses Mata blue, not dark blue).

Other Pictures

(I really like the way that the Bohrok tooth and Air Saber almost blend into a full handle)

Thoughts?

22 Likes

I really like this moc, it compares to Lhikan well while still being original.

Really solid, man! I think it fits her well. Only issue I’d take would be to add an upper connectionpoint to the flexible zamor tube on her spine, rn it looks like it’d stick out a bit irl. Other than that, it looks solid! I think it’d be cool to get at least one character with a mata feet torso canonized, I always liked that particular custom torso. Gl!

Update:

After yesterday’s talk about Tuyet’s Broadsword, I decided to have another go at working with the .obj file of the Air Saber from stud.io, and I managed to figure it out. So now Tuyet has a custom sword, though I think it’s close enough to the original Air Saber that the official part could still reasonably be used as a stylization:

2 Likes

Back with another update. I’ve made minor changes to her colour scheme, and completely replaced the sword:

The colour changes were mostly practical, rather than aesthetic; I replaced all the dark blue instances of Part 32449 with black (since the Part doesn’t come in dark blue), and I replaced the dark blue ball joints in her ankles and shoulders with the black through-axle versions.

The big deal here, though (for me at least) is the sword; after reading some more about the Barbed Broadsword, I realized that it should have barbs on both edges of the blade, instead of just one. Rather than try to further modify the existing model, I decided to just start from scratch with a simple custom part that could be integrated in many different ways with existing parts:

This new design reverses the barbs, aligning them as they would be on a fishhook (and hopefully with the same effect), as well as reducing the number. I personally love the silhouette of having just one large barb on each side, close to the end.

The custom blade part is 1x2 studs at the base, and is 16 studs long. The blade has an axle hole on the bottom, and two 3.18 mm bar holes part way up the blade. What’s more, these bar holes are a set distance from the base such that they can be connected in-system:

Other Sword Possibilities

The barbs could easily be made smaller by using a different official part, or the piece could be used for a completely different weapon in a different MOC.

Any thoughts on maybe improving the sword?

4 Likes

Not always seen eye-to-eye with you but that is a bomb sword.

1 Like

I forgot to showcase this before, but that is another thing I addressed in the update:

I had avoided doing this at first simply because I didn’t want to break up the solid blue and I couldn’t think of a way to do it with existing dark blue parts, but with all the other black being added with the update, I figured I might as well go all the way.

Thanks! I’m really happy (and a little surprised, honestly) at how well it came out.

Sword Update

Also, as can be seen in the above picture, the sword’s been updated since yesterday to get rid of the open studs, and I’ve added parts so that it can be connected to her back (which wouldn’t work as well if not for that new part holding the tube in place):

4 Likes

This update contains all the relevant information for the Duckbricks Fanon Contest, compiling the information from all of the above posts.

Full instructions for this model can be found below:

1_1x

I really only had two ideas in mind when designing this. This first was that she would be a simple-custom build, like Krakua or Helryx. The second was to make her as purely dark blue as I possibly could. I’m very happy with the results. The build features the Barbed Broadsword and the Nui Stone. The custom mask is modelled by Khingk.

For her sword, I wanted to make it look as non-evil as possible, while still matching the description given. The Barbed Broadsword is an assembly built around a custom blade part modelled by myself:

Additional Custom Blade Details

When I made the decision to make a blade from scratch, I knew I wanted it to be a simple, generic part, for two reasons. First, to maximize reusability and customizability, and, second, because that’s about all I could do in Solidworks.

As can be seen below, the blade piece is entirely in-system. It is 16 studs long, the base is 1 stud wide by 2 studs deep, and the bar connection is 1 stud long:

The blade can also be customized for use in other models:

I tried to make the sword as fancy as possible, as opposed to just being a generic sword. To that end, the sword has a gemstone embedded in the hilt, and a leather-wrapped handle. It is also capable of attaching to Tuyet’s back for storage:

In contrast to the custom-built sword, the Nui Stone is just an existing Lego crystal part:

It attaches to her hand through a little-used connection that only exists on the original socket part:

The model can also be configured in a way that shows Nui Stone shards in her abdomen:

Since Tuyet was a Toa Mangai, I also designed the model to scale with the official Toa Lhikan set:

Turnaround Images

Finally, to wrap things up, I recreated a few of Tuyet’s scenes from Reign Of Shadows:

Model Links

Mask by Khingk: Great Mask of Intangibility by KhingK - Thingiverse
Blade by TheJerminator: Lego Large Figure Sword by the_jerminator - Thingiverse

4 Likes

Ah this looks pretty good.