BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

@NOTaHFfan
@TheJerminator

How good a color scheme is is very subjective, so I don’t see the point in arguing about it. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder

like Etnurb GoodGuy2006 said, it’s a good design.

2 Likes

So now we’re debating whether monochrome works or not?

Canonically, monochrome beings do exist. In fact, it’s possible to make a monochrome character look good - even in Bionicle. But if we have the option to make a character with multiple colors - new color schemes, even - why shouldn’t we take the opportunity given?

Rather than argue about how right your opinion is, back it up with a quality build. Hate monochrome designs? Love monochrome designs? Your arguing doesn’t speak nearly as loudly as a MOC will.

8 Likes

I saw that warning, but I was hoping that some tempered, measured viewpoints on the subject would be allowed. This topic is, after all, supposed to be partially focused on rule feedback:

Hence I’m going to (probably unwisely) risk a little more discussion on the topic. I daresay that constructive conversations about the rules shouldn’t be squelched. If they are, well, I again reserve my right to claim the point of the topic is for feedback.

There’s not really a reason for a canon build to have any specific body type outside generalities (i.e. Toa are humanoid). But yes, you’re right, a curvy build probably would start a big argument even if it were not intended to do so (and here I remind everyone that curvy builds are not automatically intended to provoke people).

I fully agree with this. It would be decidedly odd to put a blanket ban on a canon build method in contests that are specifically, and, I might add, maddeningly scrupulously occupied with adhering to canon. It’s not really fair to say that we should all ignore a canon build and ban further use of it just because a lot of people don’t like it. It is still canon.

That is weird, but I like it. I personally think monochrome color schemes can and often do look good.

4 Likes

Just like black licorice tasting bad is subjective - it can be generally accepted as a bad thing because an overwhelming majority agrees on it.

3 Likes

Even so, it is still an opinion and there are always exceptions. Its nuance to debate, and I doubt they’d make a rule against it. I’m all for letting it happen and allowing community vote to decide.

1 Like

oh but cmon winger, they’re sweet and silky how could they taste bad

Attention all users, this is a funny. Please laugh or burger emoji

As for Tuyet n01in particular, I think monochrome looks bad. Put it on a Matoran, with a much smaller stature and build, and you can get away with it, but a Toa-sized individual with humanesqe proportions looks bad in only one color imo. Would much rather see Metru blue and some other shade on the spectrum, like turquoise, lavender, or metallic blue. The one Helryx which had metallic blue as the base color is a perfect example.

7 Likes

I loved the sword! It’s given me hope that there will be a lot of good looking custom blades for the contest. It actually made me start wondering how it would look if you used the Takadox blade on both sides of that axle connector (I don’t have the connector piece irl to test it, nor are the Takadox blades in Stud.io to test it out there either :sweat_smile:).

Speaking of the sword, I had a passing thought the other day on if the (blue) Corroder blades could work, particularly if you reworked the handle so it could be held more conventionally. Ultimately I don’t think it’s something I’d end up using (largely because of the size of the piece), but I’m curious if anyone else had any thoughts on it?

3 Likes

I would like to add that I think monochrome can work for lighter colors. A flat Mata red or blue model will be more distinguishable than a Metru one.

They give me headaches. can’t explain it

1 Like

I’m just gonna throw this out there but if so many people apparently have a makuta bone to pick with colors and weapons, as long as they adhere to whatever canon wordage has been said, the contest results will decide the outcome. Simple as that.

6 Likes

I tried that out and here’s the result:

The blade tip is shaped quite unconventionally, but it’s supposed to be an alien sword anyways. I do quite like the look actually.

I think that I’m still going to stick with my original design because it looks more interesting and I don’t have to tear off a half of my Zyglak’s lower jaw (l’ve got only one spare Takadox blade)

Well, the connection point on that piece is in a very inconvenient spot and then there is that nasty curvature, so attaching the handle to it won’t be easy.

It’s also too thick (almost two studs wide) and short to be a sword blade in my opinion.
It’s certainly possible to turn it into a sword, but I’m not sure if it’s worth it

10 Likes

As do I, it’s really a neat design. The only issue is that it can no longer function as a stabbing weapon, more of a sawing one.

9 Likes

Thanks for doing that! I do agree it has a certain je ne sais quoi to it, but as Winger said, the tip makes it less of a sword and more of a saw or cleaver or club-esque weapon. Still cool to see though!

I figured that as well. The initial consideration behind it came from looking at the unique triangular shaping it has, but that very same shaping doesn’t make it particularly “barbed.” If anything it’s more jagged.

1 Like

My favourite depiction of Tuyet’s weapon is unfortunately in art form rather than in the plastic. Specifically, Perp3tual’s take.

9 Likes

I find that one far too massive. Yes, it’s Bionicle, but eh.

It looks like something that needs to be weilded in two hands, too, which kinda doesn’t work with Tuyet in my eyes as she’d need one hand to hold the Nui Stone.

3 Likes

It’s a nice drawing
Bionicle always holds giant sword with one hand, so I don’t think it’s a problem.
But it doesn’t look like Broad Sword, either
I think blade ends should be sharper.
Because Greg mentioned stabbing attack .

Any weapon can be used for stabbing if you put enough strength behind it.

Also I like the idea of her having a big weapon on account of her working alongside Lhikan’s giant greatswords and Nidhiki’s scythe, which which be large by definition of being a polearm.

6 Likes

Tuyet doesn’t wield the Nui Stone in battle, only when she needs to draw more power from it.

2 Likes

There’s this line in the “The Many Deaths of Toa Tuyet”, though:

Stunned and thrown off-balance, Tuyet dropped the stone. Out of contact with it, her new powers abruptly vanished, and the sudden shock of such a loss stunned her.

And regarding her not carrying it in battle - the quote only says she doesn’t go into battle anymore as empress. Of course not, she has minions for that. But if she ever were to do battle, I think holding the Nui Stone would be something she’d want to be able to do at all times - a giant weapon (she doesn’t even need because she’s stronger elementally) just hinders that.
And in the main universe she has to fight herself.

5 Likes

It seems that was because she was still absorbing power from it.

Fair enough about the first quote, yeah; I misremembered what it said until after I linked it. Still, I think holding the Stone in her hand in combat is a risk – as you just showed, she drops it the first time.

Personally, my opinion is that she would just use the power she has whenever she has to go into battle. Most opponents probably wouldn’t be able to fight her long enough for her to need a recharge.

I’d argue she should then still have retained what power she already absorbed, though.

As to her using it in battle - I personally imagine her always carrying it with her in a pouch or something so that she can use it as a trump card if absolutely necessary to safe her own life. Wouldn’t seem reasonable for Tuyet as a character to for example face a threat like the Kanohi Dragon that is more than capable of killing her without a personal life ensurance in the form of the Nui Stone.
And should it ever come to that, she’d need one free hand.

Also it doesn’t strike me as particularly likely that Tuyet would want to be separated from the Nui Stone for longer than necessary. Not in the main universe, and especially not in the AU where she has surrounded herself with a Toa army, every single one of them capable of also using the Nui Stone.