BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Well Artakha exists now and he is a whole slew of system pieces.
Its not my preference and I’ll still likely vote less system heavy mocs, but those tiny lil ball joints do have a small strike towards a Bionicle vibe to me

5 Likes

hooooooo boy

The biggest no-mixel joint reason I can see is that the ball-and-socket system, at the size that it exists at, is iconic for Bionicle, even though the theme didn’t invent it. The mixel joints would greatly contrast if included, especially since the ‘standard’ head - the Metru head - uses a standard ball joint as it is part of the piece.

Personally… Heck yeah, let’s get some mixel joints in here. Tow balls are really fun pieces and the smaller system of articulation means more that wasn’t previously possible is now capable of being achieved. It will, of course, come down to personal preference and whether or not it does a disservice to the appearance in my book. But I highly encourage people to try and use them.

2 Likes

Is there a System piece that maybe can connect to the holes on the Takadox blades?

I think they break the “BIONICLE aesthetic” that I look for when I vote for an entry. But if someone manage to make it looks good and cohesive, go for it.

1 Like

Has anyone taken a look at the semifinal poll rankings at all?

1 Like

You mean checking the votes from the semi-finals to guess who will be the final winner?

Just looking at Pouks semis, just keeping in mind the first preference, Kodiak’s Pouks should beat doni’s, and Perp3tual’s should beat Galva’s (these last two were so close it’s hard to say without taking into account the second and third preferences). But it becomes more difficult to compare between the four. Maybe by counting the votes and checking who voted for whom an estimate could be obtained.

On the one hand, I think it would be interesting to see how good someone from here could be at predicting the outcome with the data provided. But on the other hand, I want the results to be a surprise.

2 Likes

I would, considering I just finished a statistics class. But alas, I have no clue how to even predict such things so it’ll be a surprise for both of us lol.

Challenge accepted.

Using just the data from the semifinals, I determined which of the Hagah was most popular in those polls.
Hidden for people who want to be surprised. Keep in mind these are just guesses.

Raw Data

Kualus 1 75x1, 42x2, 32x3
Kualus 2 45x1, 22x2, 11x3
Kualus 3 52x1, 46x2, 27x3
Kualus 4 53x1, 29x1, 39x3

Gaaki 1 52x1, 38x2, 38x3
Gaaki 2 46x1, 42x2, 34x3
Gaaki 3 69x1, 47x2, 21x3
Gaaki 4 55x1, 45x2, 32x3

Pouks 1 87x1, 66x2, 34x3
Pouks 2 39x1, 35x2, 32x3
Pouks 3 51x1, 35x2, 34x3
Pouks 4 55x1, 35x2, 43x3

Bomonga 1 70x1, 65x2, 30x3
Bomonga 2 82x1, 54x2, 35x3
Bomonga 3 88x1, 31x2, 21x3
Bomonga 4 33x1, 41x2, 34x3

Predicted winners
Kualus

M:Y–S:Y–A:Y

Gaaki

M:N–S:N–A:N

Pouks

M:Y–S:Y–A:Y

Bomonga

M:N–S:N–A:Y

Some thoughts on accuracy(also spoilers for the predictions)

Pouks is the most accurate, as #1 got way more votes than any other contender in the Pouks category, and it had the highest Score out of all the Hagah finalists. I think I can safely say Pouks #1 is the winner. Kualus and Gaaki beat the competition solidly, but not strongly; this could have swung in the finals. Bomonga was close, very close – he was the only one to get less picks for first preference and still win in the predictions. In fact, the first three on the Bomonga poll all had about the same score/votes, so this one is the most unpredictable (though #4 is probably out)

11 Likes

I’ve been wondering on the odds of Kodiak or Perp3tual winning all four polls. They’ve both seemed consistently popular, but is that enough for either of them to do a clean sweep? I don’t know, but it’d be interesting to see!

2 Likes

I have a feeling a lot of people voted for Perp’s because it was good art, which is not the reason people should be voting this round.

17 Likes

They were based on neat mocs though. I’ve made it clear on the polls what they were supposed to look like when built. And yes I know that we should be voting based on its entry photo, I’ve heard it before. I’m just acknowledging that “good art” may not have been the only factor in popularity.

1 Like

Neat mocs you couldn’t even see for pouks and Bomonga. How many people do you think actually looked at your mocs before making their votes? They voted based on the art, which did a bad job of portraying the mocs.

3 Likes

I personally loved Perpetual’s Bomonga because of the shape: short, wide and flat. I think the shape fits the character well.

Even though that Bomonga isn’t in the predicted winners, I’d still be down for those results; Double’s Bomonga still has a unique bulky shape, and I didn’t have too many strong feelings either way on the other three. Just change Kualus’s or Pouks’s colour, and those would look great.

2 Likes

Keep in mind that section was the least accurate by a long shot.

Oh no, I hope you are right in some and wrong in others

Very nice. I need to learn how to do this lol. I’d ask you but this probably isn’t the topic for it.

All in all, I’m good with these results, and still hopefull gigabomonga can win

@TheJerminator This. Also it has a lot of character.

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

Disclaimer: I’ve been writing this for a few days so I haven’t read far past Eljay’s reply.

I wasn’t, and if it came across that way, I apologise. Early voting disclosure was just a precedent set by the Artakha contest and I was curious why it wasn’t being implemented this time. Again, some people will find it useful. I personally don’t think I need it. Just trying to be diplomatic.

The one about why pre-disclosure of poll results is useful, you mean? A few people did like my message which could have indicated it’s something people would like to see. And Willess said as much not long ago. As did a notable community figure privately to me.
If you mean the post where I told you you were being unnecessarily rude, that was also popular in terms of likes. Whether or not you wish to offer me personally anything - again, I’ve never been intentionally disrespectful, and that post was not written because of your behaviour to just me - I do hope you take it on board for the benefit of those that did agree with me.

Again, if at any point I’ve come across as unreasonable or disrespectful, I sincerely apologise; and I’d be greatly appreciative if someone can help me figure out which of my posts have given this impression. As I’m sure is the case with many Bionicle fans, I’m not the most socially adept or ‘forum-savvy’ person, and context gets lost over text. But if by this you simply mean I’ve been annoying, I’m willing to accept that.
I recently tried to clarify ‘the headcanon argument’ in another community and was met by toxic and unnecessary bullying by someone who was aware of my activity here. This led me to take to heart the idea that I’ve genuinely irritated people here by talking about things most fans don’t care about (headcanons, consistency issues, etc.). I won’t apologise to that particular person, but I will to anyone else. @Ghid you are someone I’d like to make amends with in particular, as I feel like the majority of the heated discussion was a result of us misinterpreting one another.

Again, trying to come across as ‘rhetoric-less’ as possible, what do you mean by this? That I’ve posited demands rather than suggestions, or at least polite requests? Because again, it’s usually been the latter, and where they have been demands, I have argued from a place of deep concern and consideration of others who might feel similarly.

Back before the Hagah contest started, I was very insistent about stuff in regards to the consistency rules, and was very frustrated given how much I care about how the Hagah ought to look. I look back on ‘pre-entry period me’ with some measure of regret, as I do think I let my frustration get the better of me at times. That said, Meso did agree with me on several points and the result was the colour and spear consent rules - which seem to be much appreciated inclusions.

To clarify: I’m not arguing about who is being more hostile/unreasonable between myself and Eljay. Granted, I would still say the latter, but I’m open to the idea that I’ve sounded more hostile than I actually was. Maybe the same is true of Eljay, I don’t know.
My argument has been that as a contest runner and mod, Eljay should and is held to a higher standard than us average Joes, and his behaviour has greater power to shape the attitude and quality of discourse on the forums. If he uses more than minimum necessary force, people are likely to respond in kind. And regardless of whether or not his attitude has been a reaction to unreasonable people, I can name multiple times when he could have done better. His initial handling of the “Artakha MOCs should be able to have more shades of green” discussion, for instance, or his flat-out dismissal of someone’s polite inquiry as to why there was no option to say “I don’t want more contests” in the “pick the next contest” poll.

I think some people are more inclined to see the contest holders as peers and equals rather than, for lack of a better word, politicians or role models; and are thus more forgiving of Eljay’s rudeness and bluntness (that and if you have no inherent qualms about the contests, you probably won’t mind it anyway).
I come down more on the latter, and think the reputation of TTV is something that needs to be preserved at all costs to preserve the reputation of the contests. If in future that means getting a mod to speak on Eljay’s behalf so his image isn’t as easily tarnished, I say go for it. And I’m very happy that there will be increased moderation going forward.

I will also say I fully stand behind a position I neglected to mention earlier: three times now (at least that I can count), Eljay/TTV have disappeared on us and left us in the dark. There has been a great deal of discussion and frustration born from the fact that we have no idea why things are delayed. Or at least, in the most recent case (namely them being away at Brickfair), someone has to speak on their behalf.
I think all we’d ask is that we get a “Sorry for the delay. We don’t know currently exactly when things will proceed, but we’re dealing with IRL stuff that needs to take priority.” For the sake of Eljay’s and Meso’s health, I don’t think they should be forced to stick to deadlines or tell us what those deadlines are if they can’t be confident of them. But I think we do deserve to be told that there’s a reason for the delay, to set aside both reasonable and unreasonable speculation and to preserve TTV’s reputation. If my credibility has been irreparably sullied over the last year, I’d appreciate if someone can carry the torch on this point, because this will be my final post on the subject for now.

@Eljay You may not remember, but we’ve spoken over Discord in person a few times before, and I hope you can understand the ‘man behind the mask’ (a Noble Huna, in this case) is a nice guy that just cares a lot. You were very helpful and kind to me when I was trying to get my group project off the ground, and I see it as a shame that you’ve seemed far less cordial since the contests started. Not just to the ‘annoying’ or disagreeable people, but to people raising genuine and serious concerns. I do hope that whether you’ve replied to people about their grievances and suggestions or not, that you’re taking them to heart and discussing them with Meso and the community board you’re a part of. I know from recent activity off-Boards that there’s a growing sentiment that TTV have stopped listening to people.

2 Likes

2/4. I wouldn’t gamble with your predictions :rofl:

It’s not like the predicted Kualus was far off from the winner, though…

1 Like

True. Now the real question: Is the scarf part of the mask??