BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

It technically stresses pins to remove or insert into a pinhole. So I’d say minifig arms are fine.

6 Likes

I find the best way to remove minifig arms is to stab the minifig through chest and work the gash outward to the socket. Just make sure your blade doesn’t knick the arms. Discard the carcass when finished. You can keep the head and legs as a trophy if you’d like/reuse them.

8 Likes

No thanks, I don’t like filet-o-fig.

9 Likes

One quick question, are parts allowed to be recolored into different colors in stud.io
that they do not exist in real life (i.e. a Metru foot recolored into teal) for the canon contests?

Yes.

Recoloured parts are allowed in both physical and digital entries.

1 Like

But it should be? I don’t have problems with Lariska and recoloring pieces to teal, since there are few pieces with that color. Tuyet on the other hand is blue, without being a specific shade of blue. There are a lot of pieces of those colors, so it should be restricted recoloring pieces for that character, for the sake of replicability.

Why would replicability play any role here? No MOC is ever going to be 100% replicable, there will always be that one person that doesn’t have all parts required to build it. Tuyet is going to have a custom mask anyway, getting one is much more of a hassle than painting some pieces. I say no to any restrictions here.

3 Likes

A lot of pieces come in blue, but not all of them.

The focus of these contests is the appearance of the character, not replicability or purism. If someone believes Tuyet would look best with a dark blue Gahlok shield as a chest plate, they should be allowed to express that appearance.

Now, if you want to only vote for purist MOCs, that’s totally fine; I try to do that myself as well. I just don’t think it should be a mandated rule.

It’s not just about the hassle for some people; it’s also about not damaging official (and possibly retired) parts. 3d printing might be more of a hassle, but it doesn’t damage official parts.

12 Likes

Then 3D print the parts that need to be painted, duuhhh

6 Likes

I know this is a half-joke but i’m fully serious in the fact that I think we should encourage artists like Kingsidorak who are working on replicating parts for 3d printability and accuracy in order to maintain our stupid little hobby.

10 Likes

Now learning how to paint well, THATs the challenge.

6 Likes

There’s always the alternative of commissioning resin molders. Zion Tryos work is amazing, so is Socketballs

3 Likes

Since Orde has no canon kanohi, and he was created before the implementation of the Toa Code, can he be dipicted in kanohi that would later be considered immoral, like a tryna or a mask of aging?

5 Likes

thats
actually a really good question
tryna orde gang anyone?

4 Likes

I mean, he might’ve existed before the Toa Code, but he was still a Toa for all of the code’s existence. I don’t think that exonerates him from following it.

Just because you were born before a rule was made does not mean you don’t follow it.

but… helryx

5 Likes

That had more to do with the fact that she was running the Order Of Mata Nui (and just generally taking on tasks that Toa normally wouldn’t, regardless of whether she killed anyone) than the fact that she was created before the Code.

If Helryx ever settled down to just protect a village, I’m sure there’d be a little more onus on her to follow the Toa Code.

5 Likes

On the topic of Varian and other Toa of psionics;

In No One Gets Left Behind, we see Varian perform a “nice trick” using her psionic powers when “wicked looking blades suddenly sprouted from her elbows, and a massive spear appeared on Norik’s back. Both carried shields that seemed to radiate light, despite the oppressive darkness.”

For the longest time I thought Varian conjured the weapons for herself and Norik. I also thought I saw somewhere that Toa of Psionics have the ability to conjure weapons… which would have reinforced my explanation of her stunt- and would be a really cool ability. As such, I picked transparent blades for my Varian MOC (the same color as her eye stalk) to properly reflect the idea that they were conjured using mental energy.

However, I was reading through BS01 and found no mention of this ability under the list of psionic powers. So… Varian just used some sort of illusion to hide the weapons until they were ready to be revealed… right? Can psionic Toa conjure weapons, or did I just- imagine that detail?

4 Likes

I believe that implies that Varian conjured an illusion of the weapons/shield. Unless they later literally use the items?

3 Likes