BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

So, am I the only one who doesn’t really care about armor colors?

This is all subjective, but the Hagah look fine to me as they currently are, both individually and as a team. The color scheme doesn’t have to be perfectly even to look still look good. Don’t fix what ain’t broke as the old saying goes.

11 Likes

About Kanohi for the entries the new forms would be considered as a new mask with unkwon power? I guess the Pouks’s “Kakama” would be considered as a new mask form, since is quite different to a normal Kakama. But what about Bomonga? His Faxon is quite similar to a normal Faxon (as I understand, a normal Faxon has the same form than Hahli’s Faxon, without the tubes, visor and light). So would that mask be considered as Faxon shape mask or a new unkwnow mask that looks almost the same as Faxon?

Both would be considered “unknown masks”

I sure hope this isn’t the final outcome.

I know it’s not technically in the original scope of the contests, but it doesn’t really seem out of line to have Greg confirm that these masks are variants of existing masks (or maybe even the standard shape, in Bomonga’s case).

(I’m personally hoping that Pouks ends up with a Noble Kakama rather than a Kakama variant, but I still stand behind my above statement in the event that the Kakama variant is canonized)

If we’re going to ask the question, couldn’t this also apply to Kualus? Both the Bomonga and Kualus models use unofficial fan-created mask models based on existing masks, and neither mask is an absolutely perfect replica of the existing mask.

2 Likes

Since the mask of sensory aptitude only have one draw apperance, I guess it won’t have problem to introduce a new draw to his gallery (the 3d model won’t be cannoniced). The new draw would be just another artist interpretation, especially when the original apperance was made in a not very set accurate style.

I don’t have created a post for my entry …

Couple of questions for the community in regards to Tuyet.

1. Do you guys think that Tuyet’s armor shoulder be metallic, or matching her elemental scheme?

2. Do you imagine her as Metru, Faux (edited) Metru, Custom, or other?
    (If Metru, should she have the standard articulation in line with Lhikan?)

3. Should she be about the same height as Lhikan? Or is taller okay?

4. Do you think her sword should be custom? Or are some of the prefabbed pieces we have okay?

Definitely Elemental colour scheme. The fact that metallics are considered separate from the Elemental colours is exactly why I don’t think they should be present; Toa should be easily distinguished by their unique Elemental colour schemes, not covered in a generic colour that anyone can have.

I’d prefer a simple custom build like Krakua and Helryx, but I’d be down for a Metru build as well. The important thing for me is that she looks good next to Lhikan, in terms of things like level of detail, or proportions.

Again, the most important thing to me is that the winning model should look good next to the official Lhikan model. I don’t really care whether she’s taller or not, but they should definitely be the same scale. Though I do feel like she’d be taller than him.

If she has a sword, I don’t really care care how it’s made. Having a purist sword would certainly be more convenient, but this also seems like one of the exact situations in which Lego would have introduced a new piece just for Tuyet.

2 Likes

I mean, she is a villain, I’m not exactly going to complain if people make her look aesthetically a villain with some gunmetal. I haven’t decided personally, yet.

Definitely either a faux metru build or a simple custom one like Krakua. And honestly, if we’re realistic, if she had been released as a set she’d likely have been an inika build, so that might be interesting if someone can make it look good.

I mean, as long as she’s relatively proportionate to Lhikan it’s fine. A head taller or shorter is fine by me … I definitely won’t be voting for any titans, though.

There are some awesome sword designs I’ve seen, but I’m good with either or.

5 Likes

Yes, she is a villain, but she views herself as, and poses as, a hero. She’s not like the Makuta, openly evil. I don’t think she’d look any different from any other water Toa.

7 Likes

These are not mutually exclusive. Adherence to color schemes is already very lax; remember that Norik and Iruini were originally going to be Dume and Nidhiki, respectively, implying that they would be perfectly fine as such. And when the Nuva got their adaptive armor, some kept their silver armor, others lost it, as though it were completely arbitrary.

The colors that work best that I’ve seen are gunmetal and black, they really sell her as a menacing villain.

Probably not Metru. The Mangai work best as a motley crue, uh, crew who look like they’re all from widely varied backgrounds. A unified build gets in the way of that.

Taller is fine, but not really necessary. Keeping them the same height could help portray them as equals, but making her taller would make her more imposing.

Few prefab pieces make any sense for her sword. Krika’s foreclaws could work, but there aren’t a lot of really spiny blades in Bionicle.

Uh…if? Brother, her signature weapon is a “barbed broadsword.” This is explicit canon, and TTV is most likely going to enforce it like they did with other confirmed details.

1 Like

Tuyet:

• Should be Metru blue and gunmetal.
  • Pheaux Metru to satisfy people’s demands. I have a design in mind already.
  • About the same height as Lhikan.
  • Custom. Whether that be 3D model or constructed out of existing pieces, and a couple users have proposed excellent designs for pre-built ones, but I don’t mind either way.

As for whether she is obviously a villain:

I don’t think she should go around with a hunch and the strangler’s fingers while emitting a wicked cackle but I don’t think she should be Macku either. There should be a balance, but there should be at least a suspicion that she is evil. Remember that if she were released as a set, she would most likely have some very angry mask or dark aesthetic to let everyone know without a shadow of a doubt that she is a villain because LEGO gives its villains massive chompers and faces that make dan schneider look like a kpop idol.

Don’t turn her into cruella deville, but please don’t make her innocent and cheery. She has to be capable of the cold murder of multiple Matoran and if she can’t look the part, will it really be Tuyet?

5 Likes

guess we better decanonize this guy, given that he’s made entirely of neutral colors and metallics

7 Likes

Unless you have a source that myself and others have all missed, it’s actually not. The only time the Barbed Broadsword is ever mentioned is in the Dark Mirror universe, wielded by a Makuta pretending to be an alternate version of Tuyet.

Although it was likely intended, it was never actually confirmed that her prime universe weapon is the same.

Besides, depending on which version of Tuyet the contest is designing (as she appeared in The Many Deaths of Toa Tuyet, or in Reign of Shadows), she might not have any Toa Tool at all.

So yes, IF she has a sword.

Don’t put words in my mouth. I said I don’t want bland metallics, not that they’re canonically impossible.

If said Makuta was keeping up the act while wielding the sword, it’s evident this universe’s Tuyet - and quite possibly a number of other Tuyets as well - typically wielded the same weapon. Otherwise it would be atypical for the Makuta to utilize it while under disguise.

Also, Artakha wielded a hammer as a weapon for approximately thirty minutes out of the tens of thousands of years he existed, and that’s the weapon he was canonized with in his contest. It’s not unreasonable to assume Tuyet’s broadsword will not only be allowed, but mandated.

5 Likes

no I’m gonna meme on your bad take because even Lego knew metru blue broken only up by token greys and blacks in the connectors was visually boring

2 Likes

You also think that a monochrome block of blue greebles makes a good character design and you refuse to take constructive criticism, so with all due respect, I don’t think I’ll trust your judgment.

2 Likes

This is a Toa of Stone.

I don’t think a little bit of gunmetal will really hurt Tuyet all that much. No, she shouldn’t be coated in it like Hewkii is, but even a little additional armor like Lhikan has would compliment her appearance IMO.

7 Likes

Artakha from the prime universe wielded the hammer, even for a brief time. Tuyet from the prime universe was never confirmed to carry the broadsword, only an alternate version of her. Asking Greg whether she had the sword before/during The Many Deaths of Toa Tuyet (which determines whether prime Tuyet did or not) would probably be best.

1 Like

Well lets just say that the broadsword is not mandated and only her general build is.

I’m sure that a lot of cases that the sword being present will only serve to boost the submission and not detract