BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Tbh I kinda like the original build. The white sockets don’t really stick out that much irl. That render does not make it justice imo

1 Like

Perhaps, i would just change the organic Kanohi Kadin for an inorganic one while chaging the white sockets for a red one and a blue one for positive and negative. Something like that.

2 Likes

Canonically there is no difference but you do you

2 Likes

I really hope Varian isn’t mandated to have Jaller’s calix because of those quotes.

3 Likes

Well, variant shapes are allowed, like the faxon on Bomonga. The real question is how it will be enforced – where do you draw the line between a “regional variant” and a hagah-esque misshaped mask? Same thing is gonna apply to Chiara…

5 Likes

I remember someone mentioning that the Volitak made by KhingK can be used for Chiaria, but I’m not sure on it rules wise.

EDIT: this one:
Nidhiki Volitak

2 Likes

I do like the idea of using new variant masks since it would increase our piece variety, but I feel the Volitak custom designs in particular don’t feel too much like the actual piece. I’m not saying they are not good designs, but still, it’s hard to recognize them as the piece they are supposed to be, compared to others like Lhikan’s Hau or Bomonga’s Faxon.
I get that the tubes and the vent in the mouth look too aquatic, but wasn’t it already stated that the Mahri masks look like the regular ones? And Mazeka has exactly the same mask even with those structures. This most likely means that these things are actual parts that a Volitak should have. Perhaps if Nidhiki ends up having a custom Volitak, it should be something that preserves those features like the prototype version to avoid to much deviation.

3 Likes

Or we can just use the intended piece, would save people having to spend half a fortune(shipping price included) for each new 3d printed masks they need. a 3d printer is still something not everyone has

Also seeing as the Matoran can use the same 24 masks over and over again I really don’t see why Toa should be an exception

5 Likes

Yeah that’s one of the reasons I don’t use 3D printed pieces in my builds, since while it is easier to get a 3D printer, it’s still not as widespread as it seems to be. I personally think we should use the Volitak in set form for both Nidhiki and Charia, as it looks like either a skull for Nidhiki or an edgy, Bane style face mask for Charia.

Now for characters like Toa Dume, that’s a different story as they require a brand new mask.

3 Likes

I understand your reasons for being against 3D printing and I partially agree with them. However, I wanted to discuss how close to canon one of these custom Volitaks would be, not how expensive or accessible they are. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want canon mocs to be expensive or hard to replicate either.
The problem here is what would happen if one of these masks ends up being canon even if we don’t vote for them. I mean it doesn’t fully depend just on us, all the community decides it. We already have 3D printed canon masks for characters like the Hagah. At least, I believe they should have an appearance that matches certain features from original piece in case they are variants of them to make sense, that’s all.

2 Likes

I think you got my argument wrong while accessibility is an issue with 3D printed masks that is not why I’m “against” them.

The reason I’m “against” 3D printed masks especially in cases where they are not necessarily needed is that it doesn’t really make sense to me at least, that each toa should have individually shaped masks when the only species that become toa all share masks with at least one or more members of their species. The odds that all known toa would have unique kanohi or unique shapes of Kanohi is statistically improbable. So when I look at the Hagah it would have made more sense if Gaaki had a Rode, Pouks a Noble Kakama and Bomonga a standard Faxon like Halhi and Lesovikk.

3 Likes

That doesn’t make more sense. I can see the argument for Bomonga and Pouks, being unlikely to both be honoring heroes with variant masks, but Gaaki just has an unknown mask shape. It could be a new mask we’ve not heard of, or one of the 19 or so masks with unknown shapes. It being a Rode doesn’t change anything other than we would know what it’s called.

Nevertheless…

I think it would be simpler to just mandate the use of the Calix and Volitak models for Varian and Chiara(for the art at least). Even though I like the 3d model variants, if they’re allowed, it opens a can of worms that any 3d model is allowed. The only way to draw a soft enforcement would be “looks like a Calix/Volitak”, which would be way too subjective to enforce.

4 Likes

Evil Kopaka Phantoka confirmed

2 Likes

Tuyet looking “evil” is funny, therefore I built her that way and will vote for versions that represent her as such

9 Likes

I made a design for her as a “subjectively evil” appearance.

And as stated by others, the gunmetal I put on her was also to contrast to Lhikan. I also feel like it would’ve been a contrast that Lego would’ve done themselves.

I did give her blue eyes though, to make it less obvious that she was evil. I think her having blue eyes or another light color would be a good way to show she is Toa, a “hero”

3 Likes

“Tuyet is a traitor, she should look like a villain.”

Ahkmou, Vakama Hordika, Metus, Velika: *look like everyone else

6 Likes

While I agree that it would be simpler, there just isn’t a strong canon argument so long as the regional variant quote exists. If someone has a quote from Greg that states that Varian/Chiara have default versions of those masks, we’d go with that like we are Nidhiki. Otherwise, it’s fair game.

6 Likes

That looks great. Kiina did it, no reason Tuyet shouldn’t either.

(also, it was possible to have Mahri Hahli in that color scheme too, the reviewer for BZP did it way back in the day:)

13 Likes

Exactly! Most traitors arent going to wear it on their sleeve that they’re gonna betray you. I mean Nidhiki does, but that’s because he’s more of a “do whatever it takes to survive” kinda Toa. After all he did try to kill the Kanohi Dragon, probably because of some other creature he encountered in the T.K.P. that he spared, leading to it nearly killing him later. We also know he values sentient life when he says to a Vahki:
" Nidhiki glanced at them with undisguised contempt and gave one a shove.
“Back off,” he snarled. “This was a living being once. You wouldn’t understand that.”"

Which would be strange if he just liked killing stuff or did it out of cowardice.

Back on track, Tuyet was trying to attract as little attention to herself, as she knew the DHs were after the Nui Stone. So a super evil looking Toa of Water would be a pretty easy thing to spot compared to a more average, heroic ToW.

Also the idea that the Toa Mangai, a team made out of random Toa called on the fly, would have constant theming or color schemes that mesh with other members is basically a 1 in 11 chance, or higher if we count the amount of color options for each element. Even still we now know that Metallics aren’t on any of the main 6 elements so Gunmetal wouldn’t be a viable choice.

7 Likes

Love that color scheme more than the lime green.

I would vote for this 2nd image.

3 Likes