BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I would only like this if we had two polls.

i agree

I agree. I’m not interested at this point canonaizing alternative universes beings that didn’t put a foot in the prime universe.

If prime Tuyet looks evil, fine. If she looks heroic, fine. Voters would decide wich incarnation best represent her. Leave empress Tuyet open to imagination. Some would consider her looking the same than prime Tuyet, and some would consider her darker, spiker, with a cape and with an evil beard.

9 Likes

I think this stuff is kind of subjective. Like, if a dark spiky person saves you from a rampaging Rahi, you’re still gonna be grateful regardless. And even more so if it’s a Toa.

6 Likes

. I agree this.
If I and you see Inika-Nuparu in real world, with no our own meories, I believe to we can judged him as a vilain.
But actually, he is kind and friendry.
And this fact can be find out by talking with him only. :wink:

12 Likes

I would’ve judged him for a pedestrian.
20220107_104931

6 Likes

Everyone talks about depictions of “primary” Tuyet and “Dark Mirror” Tuyet, but never “waterlogged shambling corpse” Tuyet. :pensive:

16 Likes

I agree, and conversely Pridak (pre mutation at least) and GSB are supposed to be handsome despite being supervillains. Bonk’s characters look however they wanna look. Tuyet could totally work looking evil.

Also, from the reader’s perspective, Tuyet is p obviously a villain even before the “”twist”” of her serial. The name of the story is literally called the Many Deaths of Toa Tuyet, it isn’t exactly a secret that she’s evil. From a meta pov, there’s little reason not to play into her design as a “Dark Toa”, especially given how rarely we get an opportunity to depict an evil Toa in canon.

Ofc I’d be down for a squeaky clean Tuyet too, I just think we should be open to allowing all interpretations into the polls.

4 Likes

To be honest, I’m not a fan of the complete super evil villain tuyet, but I don’t want her to look like a completely clean and right hero.
I want her to stand at the boundary between good and evil.
Regardless of whether I can express it well.
In fact, most of the problems come from Kanohi.
But it’s a little strange to do this by dividing the vote. After all, it’s a matter of preference.

11 Likes

Honestly I agree that only doing Prime Tuyet is a good idea. We don’t know enough about how Toa Empire Tuyet looks to warrant an extra contest or artwork.

As for the color scheme, I’ve been vocal in the past on her looking heroic, as her evil is below the surface. That being said, I’m leaning more towards evil looking Tuyet or a middle ground now. Partially because of my own experience attempting to build a heroic Tuyet (went for a darker color scheme in the end) but also as said above, it just makes sense to go for the middle ground, that way both sides get represented in the MOC.

In the end, Tuyet is probably gonna disappoint some people and make others happy. However tons of people love and hate designs from throughout the series, as taste is subjective. The important thing is we remember why we’re doing the contests, to give characters who haven’t been seen a canon appearance. As long as the winning entry isn’t a joke entry, I’ll be fine with it. If all else fails, you can always make a custom for your collection that fits your vision of Tuyet.

3 Likes

Oh definitely, the “personality” of these characters is gonna be determined by the Kanohi. For instance, I’m trying to make my Tuyet look like a samurai, and the best option of that is Galva’s predator/samurai looking mask. It’s an impressive design that I like quite a lot, but I would like something a bit less menacing for my interpretation of the character. I suppose that’s why I’m happy we’re still keeping the art portion for Tuyet; we’ll get a diverse variety of masks to choose between.

1 Like

On the one hand, this sounds like a fascinating idea since I imagine a number of people would imagine DM Tuyet as having a different, more aggressive feel from PU Tuyet. On the other, it sounds like just another unnecessary hurdle going forward. Yes, DM Tuyet would probably be more decked out, looking like the leader of an empire with the cape and all, but that appearance should just be adding to PU Tuyet. It wouldn’t make sense to have a canon appearance of Tuyet only to have to subtract from it to determine her PU appearance.

1 Like

I actually find it kind of hard to believe that this quote was never brought up, even by myself:

At the end of the day, though, it probably wouldn’t have mattered; Greg did end the quote by leaving it up to others, and saying it’s not his call.

3 Likes

Speaking of colors, zaria’s colors are gunmetal and burnt orange. As I’ve said before, dark oranges are quite rare, so can I just replace them with oranges or other browns?

Also, regarding the mask color of Chiara.
basically, when Toa uses Kanohi, Kanohi changes to the primary color. However, there are some exceptions. Can Chiara’s Kanohi be white, not blue?

1 Like

I have never been under the impression that Kanohi follow any pattern related to the Toa’s primary/secondary colour breakdown, and I cannot find any source that would suggest that they do.

Plus, some of the Toa Mahri have silver masks, despite having very little silver armour.

I would say that Chiara’s mask should be allowed to be white, or maybe even silver. (I personally dislike this second option, but it would certainly be nice for purism reasons.)

EDIT: By sheer coincidence, I stumbled across a quote related to the Lightning colour scheme while looking for general Kanohi colour info:

This shouldn’t be taken as hard canon, but it’s still something that people could keep in mind while designing Chiara.

2 Likes

I swear we’re frighteningly close to crossing the event horizon of the fandom realising “Greg is actually medically incapable of visualising character designs and likely doesn’t remember much about the statements he made in 2011, you could stick a silver Nidhiki with a Kualsi in front of him and he’d still go ‘Sure, it’s canon’, maybe we shouldn’t treat his vague statements that top out at “a rough ballpark of a colour” as absolute gospel.” So close.

We are officially three for three on the contests overwriting Greg’s ancient statements about the colour schemes of characters he didn’t have a design for, and nobody really cares. Helryx being regular blue instead of dark blue got some laughs just because “We missed a Greg statement about the colour scheme” was kind of the perfect coda to a contest that basically revolved around wilfully misinterpreting or outright ignoring some cherry-picked quotes, but nobody cared about Artakha being green and grey instead of green-grey, nobody really cares about Bomonga and Gaaki’s metallic colours or outright prefers what we got, and I daresay nobody will care if we get blue-and-green Lariska or the previously-mentioned silver Nidhiki. God knows the latter would be a massive improvement over the blob of Metru Green that following Greg’s vague statements to the letter would doubtless result in.

13 Likes

I don’t know why you’d consider “I guess, but I don’t know” to be a statement on the same level as definitive statements like “he’s grey-green” and "she’s dark blue.

Personally, I laugh at people ignoring half of the question to make their point.

2 Likes

Not really. Not at all, actually.

Again, the quote I posted should not be taken as canon. It should not have been taken as canon at any point in the last 7-ish years; desipte giving an answer, Greg also specifically said that the metallic colours weren’t his call to make, and that it should be left to other people.

I didn’t post it to show that the Hagah contest overwrote canon, I just thought it was funny that I had never seen it before, despite the months of discussion about the Hagah.

Also...

Also, the Artakha contest didn’t contradict canon either. The only quotes I have seen regarding Artakha’s colour are those that specify that the word/phrase “gray-green” is in reference to a single colour. I have never seen a quote that says he has no gray at all.

I also disagree with your larger point.

Just because Greg probably doesn’t remember his past answers doesn’t mean they should be disregarded. There’s probably a lot that he doesn’t remember about the main plot as well, but that doesn’t mean that the novels suddenly don’t count.

There are many, many times where Greg answered a question about a character’s appearance with “I don’t know”, so him actually giving an answer (especially if it’s to an unbiased question) means he actually thought about it.

EDIT: @Racie02 is right, Helryx doesn’t really contradict canon either. It’s ambiguous at worst. Here’s the original quote for reference (it’s tricky to find because Helryx is misspelled):

There are two ways to interpret it, and neither concretely contradicts the current Helryx appearance.

Option 1 is to assume that the question is referring to specific Lego colours, in which case it’s ambiguous; Blue is light when compared to Dark Blue, but it’s also dark when compared to Medium Blue.

Option 2 is that the question refers to the general concepts of “light” and “dark” blue, which would be impossible difficult to police even if this quote had been found before the Helryx contest [EDIT 2: and likely wouldn’t have disqualified the winning Helryx anyways].

Either way, there’s no way to concretely police the quote in a way that would also contradict the winning Helryx.

7 Likes

I just want to point out that Matau Metru also has a decent amount of grey, despite being described as “just green”.

There are eleven shades of lego green. Twelve if you count teal.

Also, I’d like to point out the question was about set design – i.e. if Bomonga and Gaaki had sets of them as Toa. Which… they didn’t.

5 Likes

Hey sorry to sidetrack this but apparently ALL matoran masks were made to honor past heroes:
“4: The Toa Metru wear Great versions of the Turaga’s Noble Kanohi (Toa Vakama wears a Great Huna, since Turaga Vakama wears a Noble Huna). Is this an accurate statement?
5: If #4 is indeed accurate, why do the six “Chosen Matoran” in Legends of Metru Nui (LoMN) appear to be wearing Kanohi similar to their Toa masks? (Example: Matoran Nuju wears a Mahiki that looks more like an Akaku Nuva).
4) Yes
5) Simple. Matoran masks are made to look like Great Masks and Noble Masks as a tribute to past Toa.”
Official Greg Discussion | Page 45

EDIT: Apparently the Noble masks are from Turaga of the past as well:
“2.) They say Matoran are suppossed to wear Masks like the Toa’s to honor them, soooo, is there a story reason we have Matoran wearing mock-Noble Hunas and such?
2) Sure. To honor Turaga that have gone before.”
Official Greg Discussion | Page 41

2 Likes