BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

regardless of the outcome of the contest this will always be the canon nui stone in my heart

2 Likes

Sorry about that, haven’t got the best memory on me. Yeah then that’s cool.

Yeah sorry see above. I do agree with the consent for masks should be brought forward

Yeah I totally agree with that. I’m not saying the sword should be just art, it has to replicatable. I’m just saying at this current point, the only way to not disregard either side would be to use a similar idea. If it’s ultimately decided one way or the other I’m ok with that. I’m just not ok to bending to one idea just because of past precident.

I 100% agree, even though I’m in the BB camp.

Yes

3 Likes

tbh, nui stone is an indispensable tool for Tuyet. More than BBsword,

Every moment she appeared in the story is with it.
(I think the time in prison is unnecessary because it goes by with a brief explanation.)

I just want it to be an option in MOC because it seems very difficult to express it in Lego, and I want it to be essential in art.

All Toa within a radius of 3,000 kio must lose its toa power to jelly beans that emit red light.

Then, when that broke, did a piece of jelly bean stick to Tuyet’s body?

5 Likes

If there’s “no proof”, then why are we banning other weapons?

If there really is “no proof” of a Barbed Broadsword, then any weapon should be allowed. But there is proof.

Greg: “Her weapon will be revealed in the Story Serials.”

Greg: “her weapon will be revealed when she shows up”

The ruler of the Toa Empire had not spoken a word since capturing the three of them, simply gestured with her Barbed Broadsword for them to get moving.

Greg: “Here, I’m finally revealing her weapon.”

That’s it. People wanted to know what weapon Tuyet had, so Greg told us. Not just in a Greg quote or through a poll – in the official story, published on BionicleStory.com.

What more proof do you need?

And if you still don’t think that an AU weapon counts as Greg revealing something:

" Who are you? Speak or face the power of my Seismic Spear. "
— Alternate Toa Bomonga to Takanuva, Dark Mirror

This is the same serial that revealed the names of the spears used by Kualus and Bomonga.

You know a piece of gear that is vague? Naho’s Huna. It was canonized, but then retconned, both by Greg. Then a poll was held, but got cancelled when BZP got hacked. Therefore, it isn’t definitive canon whether she has a huna, and if there is a Naho contest, any mask should be allowed.

That’s not the case here. Her weapon was revealed, in canon, written media. Allowing the artists to draw her without a weapon doesn’t change that. It just allows us the option to not canonize what her Toa Tool looks like.

Edit: just to be clear, I’m not saying a Greg answer or poll would’ve been less canonical. Just saying that to contrast with the example I gave about Naho, where both were done, and then undone/unfinished.

9 Likes

sugar crush!

2 Likes

Look I’m on the Barbed Broadsword side, but I absolutely hate the argue met of “Why not another weapon?” It’s one of those argumements that’s like “Ha gotcha! If you disagree you’re saying she has a BB and if you agree I’ll just say no the canon disagrees.” Its a catch-22.

The fact is, the Barbed Broadsword is about as canon to the main universe as that random axe on the wall. That axe could exist in a Toa Suva, but we haven’t seen it in the main story. As for Greg quotes, all of them never explicitly state if it exists in the Main Universe. Neither side is objectively wrong here and should be given an equal chance to win.

As you said, it’s not about if it exists, it’s more of a question of did this Tuyet use or have it? The stories outside of DM suggest No, as she doesn’t have it, unlike the Nui Stone. The Greg quotes suggest Yes but that’s the problem. Suggest.
No one has a definitive answer, so it should be left up to the mods or (if they decide so) a vote.

1 Like

dude you gotta follow the logical flow of the statements. if greg said tuyets weapon would be revealed in an upcoming serial when the question he was asked was talking about main universe tuyet and then dark mirror reveals she has broadsword then logic sayz that both tuyets have a broadsword

7 Likes

Not being mentioned =/= she doesn’t have it, unless there’s mention of her lacking a weapon or having a different weapon, which there isn’t.

The only thing like that is when Dark Mirror Tuyet fights Takanuva, where she had to use her other hand to hold the Olmak.

And there is a line suggesting she has a bladed weapon, outside of Dark Mirror.

Helryx avoided Tuyet’s slashing attack – Reign of Shadows, chapter 9

5 Likes

Yes logic would follow that. However you see how mad people get over Artahka, Helryx and the Hagah contests? The fact is if the sword side can’t provide 100% proof to the swordless side, this argument will go on forever. Same with the other way around. The fact is we have no definitive proof on either side, so both sides will basically fight forever on this.

I’ve actually never seen that brought up before. That’s a great point
(Nearly doubleposted, my bad)
Has anyone brought this quote up to the mods? This basically says she has some kind of Sword, as slashing is a sword motion, as opposed to cleaning or stabbing.

1 Like

I found it linked as a source on BS01, on the Toa Cordak page.

3 Likes

I mean between the greg quote and the slashing attack thing it seems pretty set in stone that greg almost definitely intended for both tuyets to have the same sword and wrote with that in mind

2 Likes

Some people don’t want a quadsillion 3d printed masks, So I feel like the art shouldn’t be the deciding factor of the mask. Besides it opens a loophole in the rules I only recently discovered. It was implemented early in the contest that moccist had to include a 3d model of the mask used in their entry as to give people an free alternative of the mask used. This was implemented to prevent people from being able to have the most canon accurate mask as a selling point essentially locking the winning entry behind a paywall. Cannonizing a shape without a 3d model essentially is a work around for this since even if 3d modelers make the files public they have no obligation to valts around with it, instead the are engouraged to keep their free model files relatively unknown because advertising the free model will hurt sales of masks.

So a consent system for the mask like the hagah is the only compromise I see moving forward.

2 Likes

That’s enough proof for me, considering slashing is defined as:

So there we have it. Let’s show the Mods and see if it’s enough proof that she had a sword…
unless she slashed with her hand?

2 Likes

I don’t think anyone is disputing this. Everyone I’ve interacted with in this discussion seems to agree that Greg almost-certainly intended Prime Tuyet’s weapon to be the same as Dark Mirror Tuyet’s. The disagreement is over whether or not that is solid enough proof to build a rule around.

Of course, there is also the option to ask Greg himself, if people think it’s appropriate. It might be a long shot, given that the stories in question were written 14-15 years ago, but this also isn’t a super intricate detail.

3 Likes

No one got mad that the Hagah were asked to have mettalic armor in line with Norik and Iruini (i.e must have metallic thigh armor, must not have metallic shins or hands). No one got mad that Artakha wasn’t allowed to wield the Staff of Artakha. One person did get mad that the shields were mandated for the Hagah art, but that was more about the rules not being clear and being asked to change their art after so long.

The way I see it: if a person with a 3d model wins and the moc is canon, then that 3d model is the only canonical piece. If an art with no 3d model wins, then anyone can make the most accurate representation of it and it’s just as valid, similar to what’s being done with other art-only pieces, like the battera helmet.

4 Likes

I mean I feel like we have canonized more for less as far as concrete proof goes lmao

found the full thing thx for info

3 Likes

Well since I’m won over on the Sword, I don’t see a reason for not including it. That quote, along with everything else basically says she has her BB on her. Like what else could she have slashed with? The Nui Stone?
Honestly I’m embarrassed I missed that line while reading, as that throws out the no weapon argument easily.

2 Likes

I dunno maybe she carved it into a prison shiv while in order of mata nui custody

2 Likes

The Nui Shiv

(Its just a Bohrok eye in Trans Red attached by an axle)

4 Likes

I fundamentaly disagree with this, because this doesn’t acknowledge the issue. TTV also made the art be the canon depiction and mocs semi canon due to the issues with Derek on BS01. All elements of the mocs was open to change see Helryx’s art piece same with Arthaka but it wasn’t as substantial. The Hagah were more stricter in terms of what you could change. However that means that the moc build is only canon if it makes the neccesary changes to be more in line with the art.

It is here the mask problem arises now since with the exception of the Kualus, Pouks and Bomonga all contests have introduced new shapes through the art that did not previously exist. Which leaves room to 3d modelers to be allowed to make masks and sell them under the statement that they have the most canon accurate masks, which directly goes against the spirit of the rule implemented for the moc portion. Since it’s more likely that the mocs mask will change in the art that could be used as a means to profit from these contest. Which is why rules like the 3d models rule was implemented to prevent people to essentially profit from the contest.

The problem here is that this mask was officialy designed by LEGO and its file is more widely available for free than the contest masks from what I’ve seen. Then we also have to consider the popularity of the characters, I think a lot of people are more inclined to or have a desire to build any of the characters on the contest list making the masks canonized this way more desirable which will drive prices up. Since the list of contests are only consisting of fan favorites its just logical that whatever masks comes from it will be more desirable than say Baterra’s Helmet or Nikila’s mask because both those characters are semi non-replicable.

1 Like