BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Good job on everyone’s part, congrats to the winner!

Guys try to be flexible with your thoughts and don’t get bent out of shape.

11 Likes

This was an experience, I have to admit. Gg, everyone. Hopefully next contest buffs out the kinks a little smoother.

2 Likes

Nah, we wait for the results of the audit to be in. :sunglasses:

12 Likes

Trueeee, true, I forgot. We wait regardless. :grin:

1 Like

So now that voting has ended, once ttv finishes vetting the votes I would like to suggest that should hoseryx come out on top that any message asking for Greg’s permission to proceed would include some samples of the artwork that has already been made of the MOC. I feel it would be important for establishing context behind why so much of the community rallied behind.

Some examples of art that could be sent to him along with the MOC include:

I feel that since ttv are going forward considering the art to be the only true canon representation it would only be fair to do so.

15 Likes

By that merit we should also tell Greg about all the people who bandwagoned for it as a meme and only voted on it as such. its also important to tell him that the meme spawned all of these artworks, its only fair, thanks

Also “I told you guys so” 2 months ago. While I didn’t think “Hoseryx” would’ve won I still told you guys to have some quality control on these contest to avoid something like this to no avail.

11 Likes

We will have the results announced for everyone within the next two days. Auditing is going to take a while and we’re not interested in doing a poor job of it. We’re being thorough, so once we’re done, we’ll make the announcement here.

For now, we’ll say this can be handled on a case-by-case basis. So you can try it out, but if it’s too multi-colored, we may need to ask for changes or for it to be DQ’d.

Thank you for your patience, everyone.

17 Likes

Let’s hope the votes aren’t too much of a mess to sort through, considering the history of this contest thus far…

If #6 remains in pole position after the auditing process, then fair enough, well done. I may not like the entry, might not appreciate the basis for a lot of its popularity, and don’t personally want to recognise it as canon, but if it legitimately comes out on top then that’s that. But, that could change, so keep your lederhosens on.

9 Likes

Hm. Looking forward to the art contest.

1 Like

I was not expecting to be using the “Fanon Discontinuity” card on the first contest, but here we are.

I’m going to see how the art portion goes, but then I think I’m gonna be done. I’m not gonna go through this mess again in three weeks’ time. Congratulations to everyone that got what they wanted out of this, I sincerely hope that you’re still happy with the outcome in a few months’ time.

And commiserations to everyone that didn’t get what they wanted. Fortunately you can always just ignore it. It’s not like there are going to be new stories that feature Hoseryx as the canon design.

9 Likes

I think the creator’s intent for the piece would be a fairer representation, if anything. Telling Greg people who voted for it weren’t somehow as invested into this as others by insinuating “for the memes” probably isn’t a great idea.

Thats it, the world has ended… at least until we are hopefuly saved by Greg and TTV staff for the future.

Vakama’s opinion on the result of the last poll: " Bribery and vote-brigading will never be virtues the matoran honor!"

6 Likes

So I’m not really someone who’s a sore loser or gets butthurt over something else winning. What’s fair is fair. And I usually show respect to the winner as well. But in this case it is very hard for me to do.

Hoesryx did possibly win, yes, but for all the wrong reasons. The only reason she made it into the contest in the first place was because she was able to exploit loopholes in the rules, as nothing about her design technically violated anything. And NO, I am not saying this because I don’t like the design. If literally any of the other entries were in the same position as Hoseryx, I would have still judged them all the same.

Hoseryx didn’t win because she represented the community’s core values and ideals, but because people wanted to make a funny joke/meme. And while the creator of hoseryx themself have claimed to not have made it as a joke (which I still doubt as you can clearly see Hydraxon dabbing in one of the pictures on Hoseryx’s original thread), many who did vote for her ended up doing it just for that reason - as a joke. They spun her into whatever they wanted her to be. Some made her a martyr for their anti-TTV/anti-contest setimate; their own personal Joker who lives in the society of TTV. Others just wanted to pull a “totally epic prank dude” and make her the winner just because they knew Hoseryx’s design was bad and they purposely wanted a bad design to win as the joke. Some people might think I’m unfairly assuming things, but when reading many of the reactions to her you can clearly see the heavy sarcasm and irony practically oozing out of the posts.
And while there may be those who unironically voted for Hoseryx out of genuinely liking her (or claimed to), it’s very clear that the majority of pro-hoseryx people were trolls, embittered anti-TTV/anti-contest people, and complete strangers with little to no investment in this franchise or community that were bribed by a very non-bionicle artist on Twitter, who they themselves said were not really active on TTV anymore.

So now I must ask you: do these demographics truly represent the Bionicle community or its values? Are these people the community’s voice, or the community’s majority?

And even if #2 had won, I still wouldn’t be completely happy. Many people only voted for 2 because it wasn’t Hoseryx and they wanted Hoseryx to lose, not because they truly liked 2’s design and wanted it to win for that reason. Thus, right out of the gate, four other really high effort MOCs were left dead in the water from a struggle between a meme and the anti-memers. Does that sound fair?

I guess now I can only just hope that either the audits will disqualify her, or the art contest can still salvage hoseryx and her design, since that will be the true canon depiction for her and not the set.

15 Likes

I’m glad Bendryx/Hoseryx/Noodleryx whatever people want to call her won. I’ve been lurking TTV for a long time but finally joined to vote in this contest, and voted for her, for a few reasons.

1. Over the past couple weeks I have seen an avalanche of creativity on the side backing her. Really great artwork and MOCs, even some CGI animations. Regardless of what you think of the actual build, none of the other entries even came close to inspiring people this way and that creativity and passion should be valued. Frankly most of the entries don’t look or feel anything like Bionicle. They’re great builds but they don’t make me think Bionicle. I actually do like entry 2 since it looks like an early constraction set, really reminds me of Throwbots especially.

2. I was not impressed with the attitudes and behaviors of the people who were against it. I have seen a lot of nastiness accusing people of voting for 6 of being trolls, being brigaders, being sockpuppets, lots of mind reading and unfair assigning of bad intentions. I’ve even seen people saying those who voted in for 6 in this contest aren’t real fans. I’ve been a Bionicle fan since 2001. My first sets were Tahu and McDonald’s Matoro. No one has the right to tell me or anyone else that I am not a fan and do not care about this series, because I do and have dedicated a huge amount of time, energy, and money to it. Those of you who were so strongly opposed to 6 and the people who voted for it should consider that your nasty attitudes and bad faith behavior is exactly what drove so many people to vote for her.

18 Likes

I’m sorry but you painting voters for #6 as “not true fans” that aren’t reperesentative of the core what Bionicle stands for seems really hyperbolic. More so when you insinuate most of them were bribed from one literally who artist nobody heard about prior to this. Many people voted for her for many reasons. This whole character assassination of people that voted for #6 is getting really old. So some of them may not be “real” fans. How many users scrambled to get friends or people on their Discords and whatnot to vote for #2 because they were that adamant to stop #6? How many of them were not fans of Bionicle? We already know dupe accounts were in both voting pools during the last round prior to the finals. You and others repeating your talking points come off like voting for #6 and having emotional investment in this brand are somehow almost mutually exclusive.

13 Likes
  1. While it may be true that the entry attracted a lot of artwork, most of it was either fueling the meme, or desperately trying to justify blatantly inferior design.

2. People against the joke entry were in general much more respectful and considerate than those backing it. And the claims you mention are not just mindless acusations but are based on verifyable facts - that being direct reports of vote-brigading and bribery, as well as large amounts of people admitting their ill or careless intentions.

So while you may be sincere in your intentions , It cannot be denied that a significant portion (probably most) of the entry 6 backers are not.

9 Likes

Why? Seems unnecessary.

1 Like

You have no way of discerning that.

Well that seems like a biased take.

The amount of “I will leave the fandom and never return” or “this is a slap to the face” or “you aren’t a true fan” or “this should have never happened disqualify it” that has sprung from the opposing parties is what you consider much more respectful and considerate? Really?

How big is that amount, since around 300 or so votes were cast for the entry. 300 claims? Enough to verify the majority of #6 voters are in this camp?

Again, you can’t discern this.

3 Likes

Well, it was also proven that 4chan was used to do vote bombing, from people who most likely are not fans of BIONICLE. There’s an image of the thread floating about.

4 Likes