BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

The only stipulation should be that the paint isn’t rare or overly expensive, so it’s common enough that it isn’t hard to find. There should also be more than 1 brand. Maybe something like this:

That way if one brand becomes hard to find, another can replace it.

Also Vallejo Gunship Green seems to be a decent match for Metru Green. I’ll report back about it once mine comes in the mail

1 Like

I didn’t bring up Spinner as a likely candidate for a contest; just saying that he and Lesovikk are the only other Air Toa who could have a contest. They’re both unlikely, though.

6 Likes

Please no more color pedantism! “Emerald” is just fancy language for “green”, nothing more and nothing less. We cannot determine Nidhiki’s color from canonical information alone, that’s what the contest is for.

This, however, is a good question, that I think needs an answer. Personally, I would be against paint that does not represent an official LEGO color.

14 Likes

I just want to mention this before its too late, Hapka mentiond that Kopaka was Silver in the books and to my knowledge Greg did the same. I don’t know if that tells anybody anything but to me it says that quotes about colors on already established characters apperances should be taken with a grain of salt.

Off I go again

4 Likes

I also heard the same for Pohatu, that he was bronze

7 Likes

I’m a really big fan of everything the individual quoted above said.

A really big fan.

The colors being described – especially “azure” in Varian’s case – are a stylistic choice and not representative of their exact RGB code or Crayola color or whatever you want to claim “azure” or “emerald” mean. Heck, the use of the word “azure” for Varian was by a fan, a non-professional writer and child. There isn’t a snowflake’s chance in the Mangai volcano that the authorial intent was to depict a hyperspecific shade of “azure.” It was a fancy word for blue.

12 Likes

Yeah and even still, Azure is one of the single hardest things to nail down in terms of color. Like look at this:

There’s over 48 colors according to Wikipedia, with all of them having the same legitimacy of “Azure”.

6 Likes

This is literary writing. Toa have metallic, reflective armor, whether or not they use metallic pieces, because they are robots made of metal. Of course there is a distinction between Kopaka’s silver and the silver of a Toa Nuva’s chestplate, but it’s just more adjectives for the writer to use. “White” over and over again gets boring. That’s where “emerald” comes from, it just happens in that case that there’s no LEGO color that shares its name. As I mentioned above, we cannot algorithmically determine Nidhiki or Varian or Tuyet or anyone’s colors based on how they were described in canon.

In addition to this, the writer of NOGLB could not, under any circumstances, have meant modern LEGO azure, in any of its shades. That color did not exist in LEGO’s palette when that story was written. Make Varian medium blue all you want (because it looks good), but do not fool yourself into thinking that the author meant LEGO’s medium azure to be her armor color, because he didn’t.

10 Likes

Just to further bury this pedantry deep in the ground where it belongs, we could add the multitude of issues presented by NOGLB other than Varian’s color which suggest it should not be taken as a precise or accurate representation of characters’ appearances.

4 Likes

I mean there is “Maersk blue”

1 Like

please be a joke

3 Likes

Yes, it was but the color was introduced in like the 60s not that I think Greg or anyone else on the story team was aware of its existence though

3 Likes

Heck I didn’t even know that was a color before you said it’s name. It also seems to be a really uncommon color, even in it’s heyday.
Another thing is we’d have to paint every single piece in the MOC as no Technic or Bionicle/HF parts exist in that color so I really wouldn’t suggest it’s usage.

Edit: Here’s the only Technic piece:

I think that when it comes down to it, ball joint and limb pieces are hard to paint (due to friction rubbing off paint), meaning outside of 3D printing we can’t make custom colored versions of those parts. So whatever we end up deciding, will be limited by those pieces.

1 Like

Ok, I am here with the promised diagram of arguments regarding the Barbed Broadsword. I encourage @Eljay and @Mesonak to go over it.
NOTE: I use my language very carefuly in this post to properly convey my thoughts, so please read carefully yourself.

When it comes to the question of wether the prime Tuyet had Barbed Broadsword (BB for short) there are only two options, here represented in the following statements:
A: Prime Tuyet did wield the Barbed Broadsword.
B: Prime Tuyet did not wield the Barbed Broadsword.
These two statements are in direct negation and thus a true dichotomy.

The following diagram of scales depicts arguments for both statements.
A: includes numerous arguments comming from at least three independent lines of evidence converging in support of the statement.
These are color-coded yellow - default story rule line; green - contest requirement precedent and object usage line; red - Greg statements and language line

B: No evidence in support of statement B has been provided up to this point despite multiple claims of its existence. All that has been provided are statements of lack of evidence or a non-conviction by some of the discrete arguments supporting statement A.

The numbered arguments are explained in text form below the diagram:

1. As an empirical rule permeating the G1 canon – in general, all of the alternate universe (AU) characters have the same equipment (this includes toa tools and masks) as their prime reality counterparts by default, unless there is a very specific reason or circumstance stated for them not to (such as the Melding AU).

2. Explicit confirmations of the identical weapons include but are not limited to: DM Kualus, DM, Bomonga, DM Kopaka, DM Onua, DM Shadowed One, DM Roodaka, Kingdom Takanuva, Kingdom Axonn. Notice most of these come from the same universe as DM Tuyet‘s BB.

3. This default rule is also logical, since the AU‘s diverge from the prime reality when a different decision is made. This means that the DM Tuyet and prime Tuyet are identical and the timeline only diverges at Nidhiki‘s decision in the Many Deaths of Toa Tuyet.

4. Aside from BB, other toa tools were enforced in the contest and canonized based on their sole appearance in an AU, such as the very recent Seismic Spear and Sub-zero Spear which only appeared in Dark Mirror (same as BB).

5. Tools never explicitly used by their prime or AU wielders (and therefore with less usage than BB) were already mandated in the contest such as the Artakha‘s hammer. This hammer is never even mentioned or hinted at in any story material, and the only reason we know of its existence is due to fan demand in Greg quotes. Also this hammer is not a signature weapon in the first place, just a repurposed crafting tool.

6. Prime Tuyet performes a „slashing attack“ in the Reign of Shadows, implying the usage of a sword-like weapon. Based on the assumed reader‘s knowledge of the combatant‘s weaponry, this would have to be BB.

7. Greg has stated several times he was going to reveal Tuyet‘s toa tool in the upcoming story serials including during DM. Greg then delivered on his promises describing „her Barbed Broadsword“ with proper name and capitalization specific to signature weapons.

8. Both its actual appearance in DM and its originally intended appearance in Into the Darkness was meant to convince the witnesses to believe they are seeing the actual Tuyet.

9. After its reveal, Greg answered numerous questions about BB including both its detailed appearance and functionality, asked in a way where it was clear the question referenced Tuyet‘s Barbed Broadsword. Greg answered all of them without ever correcting anyone even though he is known to often correct fan assumptions, especially those assuming certain rules apply where they shouldn‘t.

Conclusion: There is an overwhelming amount of evidence supporting the view that prime Tuyet did wield the Barbed Broadsword as her toa tool. This evidence also does not come from a single source or a line of thought, but instead there are multiple lines of evidence converging on the same answer.
While some counter-arguments have been raised toward select isolated arguments, these are either a severe strech or can be disputed further, and even if their targets were to be ultimately discredited, there are multitudes of other arguments lying in wait unaffected.
Meanwhile, zero evidence has been provided to the only alternative option - prime Tuyet does not wield Barbed Broadsword as her toa tool.

Therefore, the evidence is sufficient beyond any reasonable doubt that the prime Tuyet did in fact wield Barbed Broadsword as her toa tool and was Greg’s intention all along. For this reason, Barbed Broadsword should be mandated in the Tuyet canon contest, as a bare minimum, at least in the art portion, so that the final canonized product is equiped with it.

No comprimises are necessary nor justified. To suggest that the two options mentioned are somehow even or on an equal footing, and thus in need of a compromise, would be an intellectualy dishonest position to take, in the light of the current evidence.

Mandating the BB is the only logical and sound option.

And of course, if anyone actually has some evidence supporting claim B, they are more than welcome to come forth and present it.

17 Likes

when’s the next contest gonna start?

1 Like

I could be wrong, but my sources say sometime in the year 2022.

6 Likes

I’d also like to drop this piece of handcanon I’ve had for a bit: Koa sword for inspiration. It fits within Bionicle for Polynesian influence, and could be considered on brand to a water character for its islander influence.

The shark teeth-blades act as both a way to serrate and barb opponents who pull away.

I think it also makes the weapon less barbaric and more ceremonial and cultured. The lens of perspective could change it to utilizing fish bones to prevent waste and be functional, such as Nokama’s trident

20 Likes

The only reason in the past I was for both sides having equal say if they wanted it or not was I wanted it to be a fair chance for both sides. However after reading about the slashing quote during discussion about this changed my mind. This post confirms to me that it should at least be mandated for the art.

I will restate the idea I had earlier, as it’s relevant to the current conversation.

What if we used the same system for masks, where you can choose whether or not to keep your sword design for the art or allow for it to be changed.
This would allow for more Tuyet entries and for others who just have the sword design to enter as well. We could also run both the sword and mask at the same time to speed up the process. This is just a suggestion, not a mandate

I love it! Definitely making mine wield a sword like that. Thanks for bringing it up!

Side note, do we know if both sides of the BB have spikes? I swear there was a quote that says it does but I can’t seem to find it.

2 Likes

Yep, it does

Interesting, I hadn’t heard of that weapon till now

In a similar vain, a fishbone-inspired sword could work well. It too would connect to her element, and could also subtley reference her murderous side

4 Likes

Thanks!

I mean Toa can technically kill Rahi without breaking their code so yeah I’d agree. “The rule against killing does not appear to extend to Rahi, but only to sapient life.”
Would the sword be a shade of blue then since Nokama’s trident was made similarly?

1 Like