BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Alright, sure. Let’s say that, hypothetically, Lariska has a mechanical Rhotuka Launcher built into her arm, but she was never willing and/or able to learn to use it.

What difference does it make?

Whether she doesn’t fire Rhotuka because she doesn’t have a Launcher, or she doesn’t fire Rhotuka because she simply can’t, the firing function on the model would be equally non-canon.

2 Likes

Yep. Thats all I was saying. That the fact that she can make rhotuka just like most other beings doesn’t have to be relevant. I’ve said it before up above in previous comments but if Greg doesn’t want rhotuka to be relevant or functional, then it isn’t.

2 Likes

This is just a theory:

Lariska lost her arm as punishment from tso. She was also given a new arm by a DH inventor(Not Avak) I think because of this that its completely in the realm of possibilty that TSO told the DH inventor to not include a rhotuka as to keep the arm as a reminder of her failures.

Idk if I like that for a number of reasons. For one, at least one Dark Hunter also had an arm rebuilt to facilitate Rhotuka usage (Guardian). Also, Lariska could easily just use a handheld Rhotuka launcher if her mechanical arm doesn’t have one.

Well, so could anyone else in GSR. Doesn’t mean they do tho :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Source?

this looks like a tool to me:

1 Like

Source: the text of the book

POWERS: Guardian’s right arm was rebuilt to allow him to wield a staff that launches Rhotuka spinners.

4 Likes

The arm was adapted to wield the tool. The arm wasn’t the launcher

1 Like

Okay, I didn’t say his arm was the launcher though

3 Likes

Fair, but Lariska’s arm would certainly have it built into her arm or just implied through headcanon that she has the same mod as Guardian.

1 Like

Guardian’s arm wasn’t rebuilt/replaced as a punishment, though.

2 Likes

this too^

Edit: actually we do not know if the arm was ordered by TSO

1 Like

That’s true, and we are discussing a theory here, I just don’t see the utility of specifically saying “I could have put a Rhotuka here, but I won’t, and that’s the punishment” especially if the Rhotuka would make her a more effective agent, and if she could just use a handheld launcher either way. But idk, it’s not that big a deal.

1 Like

However Lariska could also have been so confident in her own skills that she did not feel that a rhotuka was necessary. This is also specualtion

edit 1;

1. We haven’t seen/heard of Lariska’s species before, have we?
    1a. Are super-agility and senses natural traits of the species, or just Lariska?
    1a) No, they are things she trained to obtain
    Official Greg Dialogue | Page 135

Edit 2: Also found this while quote mining:

1. When you say Lariskais blue-green, do you mean like a teal-ish color or blue and green?
  1. I mean like a tealish color
    Official Greg Dialogue | Page 265
1 Like

Either way, this isn’t exactly the place to discuss the semantics of a theory.

11 Likes

Ruh Roh, Rarge!

6 Likes

I’ll add on to that: I specifically searched a few keywords such as “Lariska weapons”, and “Lariska Rhotuka”, and “Lariska arm”, to see if Greg ever specified if the arm had any weaponry. There was nothing.

However, there is this line from the Updated Encyclopedia: “Lariska is a skilled hand-to-hand fighter and an expert with many weapons, but she prefers to use daggers”.

I would say that the line from BEU means Lariska has used other weapons. So this would just be confirmation of one of the weapons that she might have used. Emphasis on Might, because just because a Dark Hunter has a weapon in their body doesn’t mean they use it – see Primal’s Paralysis device.

So basically: I don’t see any reason to disallow a Rhotuka arm. I think it would be fine even if we did canonize the Rhotuka arm, since there is canonical basis for it, but I get some people might disagree, so I’d be fine with just saying “this is what her arm looks like. Whether it can shoot a Rhotuka is up to you.”

Now, this next bit is just my opinion: I don’t care for the launcher arm. Not because of any canonization, but because having a launcher in your arm would probably hinder mobility somewhat, and I feel Lariska would prioritize mobility. Again, just my opinion, I don’t think a launcher arm should be disallowed on that basis.

8 Likes

What? A person who can argue in favor of allowing something they dislike, putting canon above their own personal preference, in this topic? Inconceivable!

/s

4 Likes

Considering this the only logical(to me) explanation for why she can fire rhotuka with her Robotic arm is because she has a similar mod to Guardians mod not because she has it built into it.

However seeing as the DH guide book refers to Guardians mod as a power. Something(powers) Greg has been adamant about Lariska not having it kind throws a wrench in that.

EDIT:

There is also canonical basis against it.

Edit 2:

1 Like

The DH guide lumps everything under powers, including skills and weaponry, so I don’t think that’s an issue.

2 Likes