BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

It’s designed to flex inwards and you are flexing the pieces outwards. But I suppose it doesn’t matter since Helryx’s joints involve a stud in pin hole connection than loosens the hole and Artakha requires you to deform rubber connectors. Krakua requires you to damage ball cups and even lego themselves used this connection in the Wairuha combiner, so I guess illegal connections are fair game. I’ve got a couple of illegal connections on my Zaria I’ll post sometime.

3 Likes

I’ll wait your Zaria! hang in there! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

P.S.
The Thornax has soft parts so that it can be bent inward, so it can be bent in this way as well! :wink:
(I also don’t like the parts breaking, but on the contrary, I thought it was a waste not to use the “possible” functions!)

6 Likes

Its still possible to warp soft parts, especially if not in the intended direction it was originally designed. But illegal builds are allowed so I guess thats not a significant point in the rules, although I won’t vote for something that stresses parts

2 Likes

Please remember : the thornax launcher deforms “outward” when loading a Zamor or Thornax. If it can’t deformed, there will be no clamping force and the bullet will fall out of the launcher.

We then force the launcher “inward” with our fingers, and fire it by deforming it until the two fingers are in contact with each other.
From this point, we can see that the piece can be deformed both inwardly and outwardly.

This is “a piece that is premised on being stressed”.

6 Likes

The width of your launcher parts on your sword design is not the width of a zamor/thornax. Its pushing past that width. Meaning if it is strained outward for an extended duration, it may not be able to even hold a zamor/thornax anymore.

I know this is possible for that piece specifically because I’ve gotten a few of those parts that don’t work well for launching for the exact reason of being stressed too far outward. You can restress the part and bend it back inwards, but the part is weaker than a standard piece

8 Likes

I am sitting here quite perplexed by the fact that we are sitting at nearly two years, and yet the mountains out of molehills keep getting made, over and over and over again.

Reading through the majority of this post and most others arguing against the ability for the inclusion of the arm design, it comes out to be most simply that they are reductive opinions formulated in large around a perceived head-canon rather than any actual canon contradictions or citations.

In story Lariska was described as:
“She is a limber being clad in dark teal armor and the size of Toa. Her left arm is completely mechanical after being punished by the Shadowed One. Although she is able to wear and use Kanohi like the rest of her species, she chooses not to do so… Lariska is incredibly fast and agile and can perform astounding acrobatic maneuvers… has senses so acute that she was able to detect Nidhiki when he was using a Kanohi Volitak.”- BS01

Additionally, she was listed as having/being:
Two sets of daggers[1], her Protosteel set produced by the Nynrah Ghosts[2] as her prime set that she used primarily for combat and not throwing. Her physical athleticism along with her keen senses are trained abilities, not innate an innate one[3], Greg stated that she certainly lacked telepathy[4], listing her “powers” as physical prowess and marksmanship and at the time(2005) saying no others, and later stated there are no other powers she has known of yet offering the potential for such to be written(2006) [5a, 5b]. He confirmed that she is not a part of the Vortixx species[6], any of the six kingdoms species[7], or of Johmak’s species[8]. He confirmed her arm was crafted by a Dark Hunter inventor[9].

So what does all of this mean? These alone are her traits, there is nothing more to try and shoehorn in as a restriction one way or another for this contest. A writer is never capable of writing a literal list of all the physical aspects a character has and doesn’t as that is not only restrictive to the goal of writing a story and having an audience imagine parts to a character but doesn’t often fit narrative flow and required dynamisms. Asking said writer additional random questions to attempt to narrow the scope of the contest to ideals of a single party or headcanon are in general bad faith, as it indicates a conflict of interest more often than searching for clarity. The importance of these contests is engagement and enjoyment in the community to depict canon characters who haven’t yet been shown. Which is being dredged out when people continuously bandwagon one way or another on a topic due to their beliefs of how canon should be, which is what the votes are for, not something that has been deconfirmed and should be upheld to comply with lore. Rider’s concept was a unique and creative take on Lariska’s mechanical arm, incorporating multiple functions into it which adds massively to her characterization, fitting in line with her marksmanship skills remarkably well, and suits the philosophies of Lego as a company without contradicting any written lore, and being nitpicked by personal taste instead of canon is just pointless. There is no reason for its removal from the moc, or using art as a means of removal either; so long as its function is not the centerpiece of it the inclusion and depiction of a unique build in compliance with canon as already stated, there are no issue. Even so I’d highly doubt the Rhotuka would be the focus of the artwork anyway as is, it doesn’t create as interesting of a visual.

Now in terms of the listed attributes I mentioned above, this returns to other needless debates relating to restricting community idea and design, while not a rule the athleticism one ironically circles back on the whole hoopla that took place months ago on her having a digitigrade leg style. If Lariska had specifically trained her own body to achieve such feats then it is irrelevant as to the muscular ease or construction of her body as it’s not an innate attribute, which people have already tried to argue as for or against in terms of this “backdoor canonizing” a feature that wasn’t described. Factoring that into the story aspect as mentioned to you already, a Dark Hunter using different tools is not out of the question, let alone one constructed by the very organization itself, which you acknowledged as well. And there shouldn’t be a restriction on at all in the first place, which is what the majority of these debates seems to lean into by asking Greg and thus creating a restriction.

As for the powers mention you brought up an innate power would be correct, however as this is a mechanical tool, we have no real clue or basis for function, nor should we as it doesn’t need to be defined to suit her character. For that matter if you’re looking for one that suits her character of being an assassin/bounty hunter and is something already in canon, a snare rhotuka would work just fine for captures, thus aiding her retrieval of targets to be kept alive, etc. Your later mentions as to relating to removing a function to her arm to be reminded of her failures is purely, not to be rude, headcanon and doesn’t really have a basis to this fruitless discussion or in this thread in honesty.

All I really have to say on this matter’s discussion is, just that it in its very nature is pointless and is only making matters worse both in terms of enjoyment and community climate, but as well as the function and integrity of the contests. I am an incredibly lore centric person, but I love seeing the creative and passionate designs that are made, and I’d honestly prefer for that joy not to be squeezed out of everyone, let alone constantly assailing Greg for questions to get the “ah ha” for petty squabbles. He is a man with his own life who has been incredibly kind over these years reading and answering questions for hundreds and more of fans up to around 15 or more years now, and inspiring so many people with his story telling and personal community engagement. The amount of ill taste comments and rude discussions I’ve seen others take towards him, present or past, speaks volumes to his character and kindness despite what others nitpick in his writing or canonizations. Do not take such things for granted to get some random petty personal victory written into canon. Greg was a writer of solutions, fan models were made and submitted to canon and he worked his writing around to suit those characters and reflect them in their environments, he never was a visual thinker but always tried his best to answer questions of fans wondering about what he envisioned of characters. The purpose of a writer is to connect and share a story with someone, and he did that masterfully in inspiring so many bright-eyed kids. The constant pedantry that I come across here always bothers me often, whether it be barbs, this, etc., as it misses the spirit of the writing, of the details, the communication, and the sets themselves. The point is to engage and be creative and kind, build your own stories and future whimsies, not to tear other down and sap the love out of something dear in the hearts of many. That is all I really have to say on this matter, I hope the best for things to improve, but hope needs action as well. I wish the best to Greg and hope he doesn’t lose his joy for something he cares greatly about.

Citations:
[1] Official Greg Dialogue | Page 57
[2] Official Greg Dialogue | Page 89
[3] Official Greg Dialogue | Page 135
[4] Official Greg Dialogue | Page 52
[5a] Official Greg Discussion | Page 154
[5b] Official Greg Discussion | Page 269
[6] Official Greg Discussion | Page 204
[7] Official Greg Dialogue | Page 130
[8] Official Greg Quotes | Page 2
[9] Official Greg Discussion | Page 118

20 Likes

This is certainly a possibility(I once used a method like this on my past MOC, but in that case, launcher had works well after I removed it few years after, so I don’t think so…
but I can’t say that it will never happen, because you were so.)
However, there is a second reason why I adopted this piece.
This piece is one of the most easy to find (every Glatorian and large set comes with two pieces).

This is a similar topic to the one about the hose piece, my friend.
once the piece is deformed, it will definitely bear the marks of deformation and damage will accumulate.
As a result, a “straight, unused hose” is a very rare item - and that is what the 3rd version of my BB requires (only the tip needs to be bent).
More than any amount of stress topic, this jumps up the difficulty of achieving the MOC in building it.
(Plus, I first decided that I will entry to Tuyet contest with this 1st sword. 2nd and 3rd were alternative version for when 1st has banned. :no_mouth:)
(Also, there is a reson that I like is the 1st version because it’s the closest to the design feel of the G1!)

Forgive me to I can’t follow to your like. :cry:
But in extreme, all piece will be stressed when they connected to any other piece.
And I think this method is doesn’t make fetality stress to piece, for its softness and toughness. :slightly_smiling_face:

I can’t force you to support my MOC, but I’m so glad if you understand my think! :wink:

To add, I’m not dismissing your idea - in fact, I certainly expected it to be considered that way (which is why there was already a similar question once, to which I was responding).
Your suspicions are never wrong.

(Illegal connections are allowed in contest, but I don’t want to using clearly illegal connection, Yes me too. So leaving aside the difficult debate of whether or not this is an illegal connection in the first place)
I was careful not to make a connection that was clearly illegal or too stressful, and I was looking for “the expression that was possible only with that piece”. :wink: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

12 Likes

Something I very clearly labelled as a theory not fact.

Noone is actively trying to do this.

We determined in the discussion the one you’ve claimed to read all of that Rhotuka are a personal power and is innate to most living beings. Powers is something Greg has been adamant about Lariska not having. It is also one of Greg’s characters he personally created and if Greg intended her to have any special abilities or powers he would have said so.

The boadh shows of the intent Greg had for the character pretty well. A skilled assassin who has risen to the top not because of some sort of innate power or special ability but because of sheer determination and skill. Lariska isn’t intimidating because she can use a rhotuka or breath fire or turn invisible. Lariska is scary because she has trained herself for so long that she can see invisible people. Purposefully missing a throw of a weapon while still having the blade hurl a hair lenght from the targets face. We don’t actually need to ask Greg anything he seemed to have been pretty clear with his intentions for the character.

Do I still think we should ban rhotuka launchers from Lariska mocs? No, but it should not be canonized as a rhotuka after Greg looks at it and says his “sure”. If you then want Lariska to have the launcher she really have no reason(No actual powers but enough skills she refuse to wear Kanohi) to have you can headcanon that.

3 Likes

My man, I’d encourage you to reread what I wrote the majority of what I provided to you is in quotes througout paragraphs 3-7. The last paragraph was an overview broadly over a range of topics and things I’m actively seeing and watching people contributing to, which by its nature is subjective and why it was written with its transition as such, and as such doesn’t really pertain to the point you are still attempting to make.

As for your counter arguments, yes you eatablished beings due possess innate cabilities and focused powers above in the various debates relating to Guardian and so on. However a mechanical arm is not alive by its nature, it is a prosthetic or crutch that does not ensure 100% function or connection with the intial body. As there have been no cases like this, as I stated there is no precedents for such. Which is what I already levied on this matter above. And again, a tool is not an innate ability, and this attachment would be a tool, would not really have had reason for discussion of a potential “power”. Similarly this is why I mentioned your headcanon inclusion because it did not fruitfully contribute to your underlying arguments but rather indicated further bias towards and concieved headcanon already amidst a discussion over canon guidelines.

You are correct in her prowess and skill, and rising to the top via her own ability, and as stated again those traits do not undermine her utilization of said tools where it is beneficial to combat. However, she was not headstrong she evaluated how to best oppenents as often time if she was physically weaker than them it would require another solution. Thus that accounts for taking all of her potential tools and benefits on hand into account.

And you are correct, there is nothing that needs to be asked to Greg, in any section of this discussion. There is no written canon that decanonizes it, and therefore does not require restriction or any confirmation either. I am sitting and saying at the end of the day, even as a lore fan who has read the ins and out of many things in lore, there is literally no reason to get upset and debate over this nothing says no, nothing says yes, let people create and choose their favorites simple as that.

These contests are about creating what a person imagines the character to be based on the guidlines given, that by its nature is sharing your imagine idea and seeing which one people like best. I think you are genuinely missing how this is not constructive or logical arguments you’re making in the end, and how its being construed towards other readers here. It would be akin to sitting and concluding that because Marendar was written to break his metal contaiment chamber he used a high impact weapon yada yada and therefore would not carry sharp blades. That’s reasonable to read it that way, but it does not mean that something unwritten and interprted by one reader should be enforced as a standard or rule. You’ll presumably argue on the basis of more circumstancial writing and not enough time for characterization which, if that is your fancy, I’m fine mentioning other examples Helyrx is the next easy one.

(Edit: Tark, whatever you may be typing already, I’ll get around to reading later, its 5:30 AM I’m going to sleep)

8 Likes

What part of determining that rhotuka is a power and Lariska doesn’t have any powers via greg quotes is Headcanon evidence?

Just clarify that for me please. We are never going to understand each other here. Because you choose to write off the canonical info I’ve found and I don’t see how your post disproves them.

Greg said very clearly Lariska’s only power is her marksmanship and athletic capabilities. Something he later said in a different quote is a skill she aquired from years of training. Greg also said in a question completely unrelated to Lariska in premise. Lariska doesn’t have any super powers.

It doesn’t matter if the arm is mechanical giving the arm a tool that grants her a power is giving Lariska a power.

Lastly it’s great that you are a lore person and you’ve read the ins and outs of it. That’s awesome, however it brings nothing to the conversation at hand all it says in this context is I have a higher read count than you and thus I must be right completely ignoring the fact that I have made my own reading and researching on this topic we both are discussing. Which is kinda counter intuitive to some of your earlier points.

Your first post did not enlighten me with any new info regarding Lariska and the conclusions drawn from that info did not seem to disprove the info I had presented. At this point I’m tired of all of this. I never argued from a headcanon angle. There was no info against a rhotuka a couple a days ago and as such I very clearly argued its exclusion as an opinion but not as a mandate or a rule. For all intents and purposes I thought and still think TTV won’t put in a mandate for it. However by accident while looking up info on Lariska’s arm I came across the two Greg quotes about Lariska’s powers and asked if rhotuka was a power. I got a yes to that question and proceeded to show my findings. From that conversation I did throw together a small little theory about the arm based on what I’ve found(Not that anyone else haven’t done that before in this topic, people are however getting upset because I did it.). We discussed some of the theories semantics before winger told us to stop so we stopped. Then it was brought up again using a similar argument as the ones before my theory talk. I posted a proposal of a canon compliant solution to the issue however I was quickly disproving myself considering the info from the greg quotes and some from the theory semantics discussion that were still relevant + mechronus rhotuka quotes.

However I’m so tired of this discussion, TTV should have final word on the rhotuka, anyways. Your point did not convince me. That she can have one. I’m not done arguing that she doesn’t have one but I’m done having this conversation with you.

To me personally: The weapon could be allowed to be used but it should not be allowed to be canonized as a rhotuka after the fact.

Good day

1 Like

All right, I thought I should be in a position to remain silent. because everything I say at this point is bound to be emotional.
But I have to tell once.

I felt sorry for the big controversy caused by me.
There were several arguments, and TTV was answered.

this controversy had to end a day ago.

I don’t understand that this conversation started again.

eljay gave an answer that implies that mine may not be allowed while being as neutral as possible.
He was fair, and I was satisfied with the answer and was willing to follow if the rule was set later.

eljay gave everyone a satisfactory answer as much as possible, but you just seem ignore the answer and want to break the equity by insisting that you should ask this to Greg, the only one who has the power to decide everything.

did you read my position and eljay’s answer correctly? How much more do we have to say that the use of Rhotuka parts is acceptable, but it will not be canonized as a backdoor?

His answer certainly says it is not allowed to be a backdoor canon.

I don’t know how many times talking about it.
I made rhotuka arm because just wanted it to be a respect for 2005 toy. so if it’s after the rules are set, I’m willing to change it. because I also prioritize respect for canon.
There are still months left before the contest. There is many time for more accurate and fair answers and set rules.

It’s only been a day since eljay answered. They are preparing a lot for a better contest. There will be an important conversation in a few days.
so, it is greed to ask for an answer immediately, and it is not polite to TTV, it is not polite to a few MOCists, including myself, who are likely to have to fix the MOC directly due to this problem.

I triggered this conversation, and I have to face all the aftermath accordingly, everything at a disadvantage.
there is a possibility that this conversation will cause inconvenience to many MOCists.

That’s why I’m just really sorry for others.

11 Likes

My head is swimming from everything I just read. I thought I had a lot I wanted to say, but instead all I want to say is that everyone should just give it up and go home. I’m tired of seeing all the lore-wielding, canon-clarifying, quote-chasing, and one-upping that has defined this thread.

It’s one thing for all that argument to occur over a current contest, or to occur with regards to continuing the contests at all, but we are at this point arguing about contests that might take place at some point after another contest whose opening date has not even been formally announced. How badly do you need to be “right,” how badly do you feel the need to argue, that you have to argue over the contest after the next contest that hasn’t even started yet?

Go outside, seriously. I took a great walk around town today, had some food, got scammed by a vendor. I had genuine real-life experiences with friends. I implore all of you to do the same. For your sake as well as mine.

17 Likes

And that’s exactly why I’m not looking for a mandate against the rhotuka construction.

Personally for what its worth I like alot about your moc and I really do think you did an amazing job on it. As I’ve also said before your moc will likely get a vote from me either way.

I’m also sorry for dragging the conversation out again though my intial post to Eljay was just a take on what he laid out. If I misinterpret him I’m sorry too.

I did read it but Eljay also said that asking Greg to canonize it as a rhotuka after the fact should be allowed. At that point its technically just as much backdoor canonizing as implying it to be that. However I digress. DO NOT TAKE THIS DISCUSSION FURTHER FOR EVERYONES SANITY please thank you.

5 Likes

Please turn off your computer and enjoy your day outdoors and in nature. People getting the last word in wasn’t what I had in mind when I wrote that post.

6 Likes

Jokes on you, its raining and cold here. I’m not gonna stand in cold rain.

5 Likes

skill issue

7 Likes

I had a very fulfilling dnd session with some classmates yesterday and friday night I was working. I think I have a good internet, life balance.

however this is kinda off topic so with that said. Do we have everything discussed about tuyet compiled somewhere for ease of acess. I can’t imagine there is more discussion about her to be had unless anyone wants to discuss the intricasies of what makes a toa build or a water toa build

1 Like

Ok so to get back to the current contest, I have a question about Tuyets armor.

“Matoro looked where he was pointing. Half buried in rubble was a Kanohi Mask of Power, one whose shape seemed vaguely familiar. Scattered nearby was blue Toa armor. “What is this?” said Matoro.”

Here’s the part I find interesting. Matoro has only ever seen the Toa Mata/Nuva and the current Inkia/Mahri.
Now personally I theorize that the Inika/Mahri Toa would be more inclined to think of the Nuva as the first Toa to come to mind, since they were their image of a Toa for the longest time. So personally I read this as him recognizing Nuva-like armor.
What do you guys think she has?

@Tarkur

Edit: I want to say this now, I won’t even touch the idea of limiting the armor type of Tuyet to Nuva, Inika and Mahri with a 10ft pole. This is more of a speculation question until a quote or more info is found. And even then I’m still not saying to limit stuff unless it’s almost 100% confirmation.

2 Likes

The quote only says that the Kanohi’s shape seems “vaguely familiar” to Matoro, and that scattered nearby was “blue Toa armor.” There are at least two ways this could be interpreted.

This may mean that the mask vaguely resembled one of the Kanohi seen by Matoro in the past – meaning the 12 Kanohi on Mata Nui (including their Great variations worn by the VNRT), the eight Kanohi worn by the Inika/Mahri, the Olisi, the Mask of Adaptation, the Kualsi, and the Noble Kiril.

It may also mean that, deep within Matoro’s suppressed memories of Metru Nui, he recognizes Toa Tuyet as she appeared when she was a member of the Toa Mangai – this is the option that I personally subscribe to, since the shape seems “vaguely familiar.” It hints to the idea that Matoro feels like he’s seen Tuyet’s mask before, but he can’t place where because those memories were locked away by his time in the pod. We see that memory erasure can involve resurfacing memories/deja vu in Karda Nui later, when the Toa Nuva slowly realize they have been there before.

In neither case do I think this involves Matoro recognizing the armor as belonging to a Toa variation he recognizes – the addendum of Toa armor being scattered nearby is completely in the third person and does not invoke Matoro’s point of view like the Kanohi’s description does. This means that the narration is calling to attention the presence of Toa armor for the audience’s sake and that whether or not Matoro recognizes it as such is irrelevant.

9 Likes

it’s just toa armor my guy, it’s not that deep

please spare us

5 Likes