BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

Posted this inorganic suletu 3d model here previously:

well I finally have an update to share:

8 Likes

I think your model is missing the crest and chin of the mask, but that just my personal taste.

Itā€™s still wip, so those will probably be added with v.3 unless you mean the scales

it seems short? how does it look on a mata/metru head/build?

I havenā€™t tried exporting it to stud.io yet but Iā€™ve based it on the actual suletu piece so it should be accurately measured in milimeters

Edit:

Here the mask is in stud.io still wip but works for both head types

8 Likes

I wouldnā€™t necessarily make this assumption. Thereā€™s a limit to the extent to which a Matoranā€™s physiology can change upon turning into a Toa:

Oh, yeah, for sure.

Iā€™m not saying itā€™s vague whether or not sheā€™s ā€œToa-sizedā€, Iā€™m saying that that definition still has some wiggle room.

3 Likes

Perhaps the largest toa is Takanuva, and the smallest toa is Takanuva.

hey! Itā€™s the same person!
Therefore, all sizes will be allowed.

/s

6 Likes

What does NSFW stand for?

Not safe for work

Was does that mean?

From Wikipedia:

summary

" Not safe for work ( NSFW ) is Internet slangor [shorthand used to mark links to content, videos or website pages the viewer may not wish to be seen looking at in a public, formal or controlled environment. The marked content may contain[nudity, intense sexuality), political incorrectness, profanity, slurs, violence or other potentially disturbing subject matter. Environments that may be problematic include workplaces, schools, and family settings NSFW has particular relevance for people trying to make personal use of the Internet at workplaces or schools which have policies prohibiting access to sexual and graphic subject matter.Conversely, safe for work ( SFW ) is used for links that do not contain such material, but where the title might otherwise lead people to think that content is NSFW."

Oh I see thanks

I donā€™t see the problem with lariska mimicking a female body though. Now iam not saying she should have massive nuva boobs or anything like that. But for me at least if the moc has feminine proportions then I say itā€™s a good thing.

5 Likes

There is no problem with Lariska mimicking a female body, though

Female proportions and NSWF art isnā€™t the same thing. However the drive to make NSFW art of a entry may affect how people vote.

2 Likes

The problem with Lariska ā€œmimickingā€ a (stereotypical) female body is that thereā€™s no reason for it. Women in BIONICLE do not have proportions that match those of a stereotypical real-life woman. They do not have breasts, they do not have butts, they donā€™t have hourglass figures or thick thighs. The only thing that making a ā€œfemale-lookingā€ Lariska shows is that the MOCist considers the stereotypical male body - long legs, broad shoulders, rectangular torso - to be ā€œdefaultā€, and that ā€œfemaleā€ is a modifier on that body. BIONICLE does not have sexual dimorphism like real life does, and, most of the time, you cannot ascertain a gender just by sight inside the Matoran universe - the only thing gender affects is a beingā€™s voice.

9 Likes

Watch out, using logic doesnā€™t work here for the people who just want to make every female in Bionicle look a certain type of way

4 Likes

At the end of the day, a bionicle character can have all sorta of different proportions: tall and lanky, short and chunky, upside-down torsos, etcā€¦

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with leaning into feminine proportions for a build. Nobody complains about Gali or Nokama in the movies.

And temperament, according to the Great Beings

(Edit: toa of psionics are female because the GB believed that females were less brash after creating Orde)

4 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if this is part of ā€œtemperamentā€, but Greg has also stated that the different genders can have different attitudes and body languages:

(Admittedly, though, there are multiple cases throughout the story where a character doesnā€™t necessarily conform to their genderā€™s ā€œexpectedā€ attitudes)

1 Like

Thereā€™s nothing wrong with building a MOC to appear proportionately feminine. At the end of the day, weā€™re discussing appearances here, and a key part of the character can be building with a similarity/callback to real life. Canon can go to heck.

The issue is sexualization, the objectification of the character/gender. Iā€™m not sure whether people are unaware of the issue or just donā€™t care, but you donā€™t exactly see tons of Tahu MOCs with defined codpieces, right?

14 Likes

There is a massive, massive difference between a MOC/art having feminine features, and a MOC/art being NSFW. Not being able to tell the difference is a huge problem, and I am saying this about MoCists, artists, voters, and just, likeā€¦people in general.

Obviously, this is a conversation that, for a long list of reasons, probably shouldnā€™t happen on this website. But, for the bigger side of the problem of MoCists/artists not knowing the difference: there is a rule in place for that. When it needs to be enforced, it will be pretty unambiguous.

EDIT: just so that Iā€™m not pointing at some vague concept of ā€œthe rulesā€, Iā€™m looking at these here:

A combination of these two will probably knock out any entry whoā€™s sole purpose was an NSFW lariska. Not a feminine lariska, because, again, itā€™s a categorical difference.

8 Likes

Also marking her as a ā€œfem fatalā€ like sheā€™s depicted in many mocs is just incredibly inaccurate to her character. In each of her media, she is shown to be a cold assassin who deserves respect from a clan of mercenaries. None of these attributes can be associated with a fem-fatal like Roodaka. Others may point to when she convinced Nidhiki to join the DH but not only was that of his own full volition but Lariska was much more sincere in their conversation which again feels less like a fem-fatal.

6 Likes