BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

But this is purely opinion, correct? It’s up to creative choice, and, without trying to sound rude, you can’t dictate peoples’ opinions for them.

5 Likes

I am not. That is why I clarified it.

1 Like

what I’m saying is that for you to make the decree that there can be no ceiling on complexity is purely your own opinion. There are many people that would disagree quite strongly, I think, and they have every excuse to, for lack of a less derogatory word, complain about it.

4 Likes

I see, thank you for elaborating.
You are right, it is my opinion. Other people of course have every right to disagree. I wanted to put it out there that they should have less of a reason to do so in case of Artakha considering there is a canonical reason for his intricacy.
So I would be sad to see unnecessary comments about “too complex designs”.

5 Likes

I want to see a rendition of Artakha in lime green and pink, like I always imagined him.

Edit: another thing about arty that should be addressed-- should the g2 mask of creation be allowed?

3 Likes

I’d say yes. Why limit parts?

The G2 Mask of Creation is not currently tied to the appearance of anything in the G1 canon, so there would be no conflict.

6 Likes

To this day, I am convinced that whoever designed the g2 Mask of Creation has done so following Greg’s description from Reign of Shadows - it looks exactly as described there, down to a tiniest detail!

6 Likes

Artakha seems to be more associated with hammers than his staff, but I’d be down if someone wanted to make one.

Reptilians are people too, Claptrap.

5 Likes

yes, but are alien androids?

3 Likes

Artakha’s mask is going to be decided later so I don’t see why this would be a problem. Entries will certainly use either the G2 variant, 3-D printed parts, and brickbuilt heads. For example, KhingK and Galva made some pretty good 3-D models of the G1 MoC. It’s guaranteed that the canon design will look different, so I wouldn’t worry about it. Can’t wait for people to enter :+1:

featured_preview_Creation2

6 Likes

FINALLY!
For many moons have I labored away at Artahka, longing for the day when I would at last be able to unleash my creation upon the boards. As quarantine drew on and on, my resolve weakened. I feared it would never come. But now, that fated day is nigh.

And uh, good luck everyone! This should be fun.

6 Likes

Do we have any idea when the artakha contest will start?
and can we call the art portion “ART-akha”?

10 Likes

Does this mean you are planning on shortening the entry periods for these contests then? Because that’s only 6 weeks and 1 day away from now and we don’t yet have an official entry topic/post stating the next contest has even begun.
The entry period for the moc portion and art portion are expected to take 3 weeks and 2 weeks, respectively, leaving only 8 days for all the voting and vetting between the 2 of them.
I understand that with this particular contest you may be expecting a fewer number of entries, so maybe the voting process will be sped up compared to last time and you’re not changing the amount of time people will have to actually enter, but I still think that’s way too tight.
And this is all assuming the Artakha contest is officially started sometime today, and ignoring any possibility of holding a separate contest for the Mask of Creation.

I’d also like to take this opportunity now to bring up that only 2 weeks for the art portion doesn’t feel like enough time to me - especially for this particular character. Sure, you don’t need to account for waiting on Bricklink orders or anything with art, but most people have had some idea of what Artakha, or any of these characters have looked like for years - heck, some have even had their own versions already built for years. We’re given 3 weeks to enter our mocs of characters we’ve at least known were up next in advanced, and had all the information about their appearance so far readily available, but artists are only given 2 weeks to create a piece of full colour artwork based off a specific depiction of that character that isn’t revealed until the entry period starts, as well as being tasked with designing arguably the most important Kanohi Mask yet to be depicted - assuming that part isn’t separated. Older existing artworks depicting Artakha are technically allowed, however they will not meet the base requirement of treating the winning moc as their source material unless the artist is a prophet, and while possible to design the masks separately before knowing what the winning moc will be, the character art isn’t exactly something that can be prepared in advance.

Since I think it’s pretty rude to criticise something or bring up a potential problem without providing an alternative/solution, I’d suggest giving artists 1 week from the announcement of the winning moc before the entry period for the art portion actually begins, or simply extend the entry period by a week.

(also bearing in mind Artakha - a Titan build - and his mask are repeatedly referred to as being incredibly ornately decorated; reflecting every single culture within the Matoran Universe.)
If any character warrants having more time dedicated to it for these contests, it’s Artakha.

6 Likes

Building Artakha with bricklink’s color guide taught me that sand green is a very interesting color. There is a surprisingly wide variety of elements to choose from. Unfortunately like dark orange and medium blue, sand green elements get spread put pretty thin over many years’ worth of sets. The sets with the largest variety and quantity of sand green are the various Statue of Liberty sets and Yoda sculptures, so those are a good starting point.

5 Likes

In the past I would’ve agreed with you on this point, except I have seen so many people who’re already planning their masks (because you don’t need to see the final MoC to plan that), and the Artwork Portion worked very well with Helryx already. Extending the entry period would essentially Result in a single contest taking nearly two months to play out, which is, honestly, absurd.

Unfortunately (and this may be me just being a insert-word-of-choice-here) but the entire point of a contest is the idea that you’re under the gun. Obviously, not all artists are equally fast/happy with the work if they are, but knowing that we received the first entry for the Helryx Art Contest one day after it went live, I do honestly think that 2 whole weeks is more than reasonable.

I don’t expect everyone can make amazing art in a single day, or even multiple days, but just as with all art there comes a point where you have to finish the art - in this case it just happens to come two weeks after the contest goes up.

But hey I could be wrong. Shrug

2 Likes

Question: is it allowed to include staff of Artakha (or another important object with a name) into entry and if yes will it be canonized as well? Thank you.

1 Like

This question will be answered tomorrow.

3 Likes

Helryx contest took longer than that.

Yeah, and it was absurd.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree. I thought the staff was fine with how it went, I’m glad to see that you felt it took way too long as well. Gives me hope that things will move much quicker from now on, despite the three-week break remaining unchanged. I’m all for it :+1:

1 Like