Bionicle movie lines that sound better in other languages

Wow, that is definitely a uniquely sounding Nidhiki! I see where you’re coming from - his voice does have that Toa of Air flavor in it. Also I’m getting some Joker vibes from it lol.

One thing I remembered after rewatching a little of the Polish dub of LoMN I posted - making Nidhiki female led to one amusing change. In the English dub, when he is about to capture Vakama, he simply says:

“Where do you think you’re going?”

But in the Polish dub, since he was made female, he says:

“Going somewhere, darling?”

I remember my friends and I used to laugh at it a lot in the pre-school days.

4 Likes

Yes, that Jokeresque, Toa of Air, snappy sense of humor type of voice. I can easily imagine him sounding like this during his Toa Mangai days.

Darling? interesting. So they really meant it.
I mean, if it was Nokama it wouldn’t be exactly out of character for Nidhiki to say something like that. You know: “Hi dear, I’m home!” type of stuff.

So you knew back then that Nidhiki was supposed to be male? Was it just a movie thing, or some other Polish material?

3 Likes

The movies were the only source of lore we had back then, aside from some promo comics and activity books, but those only started to appear in 2006. So no, I didn’t know he was supposed to be male, not until around 2010 when I read about it on the wiki or somewhere else.

Talk about a life-changing revelation.

5 Likes

And yet they still sound like Takua and Jaller…
Most interesting. :+1:

The voice is definitely more unsettling…

I feel for Vakama the couple of times Nidhiki sneaks up on him.

That was indeed a good gasp. :point_up: (Although, I must admit that for the most part, I still like Toa Lhikan’s English voice better. :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

Just when I think that surely not another reason to learn Polish will pop up… :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s difficult to assess the quality of the voice acting without knowingwhere the emphasis is going, but the choice of voice actors definitely feels more suited on par.

Maybe these dubs are the reason why some people seem to be fonder of the original movies than I ever was, aha. The English versions have their moments, but mostly aren’t fantastic.

Out of curiosity - did anyone watch TLR in a language other than English?

2 Likes

I’m really Curious how “the shadow has arrived” line from lomn (legend of metru nui) sounds in other dubs.

1 Like

In the German dub Makuta says: “The shadow has triumphed”, what I think is a downgrade to the original, since it doesn’t fit as well with “Dume’s” mirror talk.

2 Likes

In the Polish dub he says what can be roughly translated to “the age of shadow has begun”.

4 Likes

The original is: “Too late Toa. The shadow has arrived.”

In the czech dub it goes: “Too late Toa. The shadow is already here.”

It should be noted that in the second movie, the voice filter for Makuta was changed to a much more uncanny one than the Mask of Light (again czech dub).

I would assume that anyone who watched any of these movies dubbed, has watched dubbed TLR as well. I can say for czech version that it is not much different quality wise. Maybe I’ll check it for some new stuff, though.

3 Likes

In my opinion the Polish Makuta voice really sounds like it may fit Karzani better.

3 Likes

In the Japanese’s dub of legends of Metru nui, Nidhiki and Krekka are just Super sentai villain’s, and thats just perfect.

2 Likes

Seeing how this topic was brought back from the dead, I thought I’d write down some other lines that sound better in the Polish dub than in the original.

In English dub of the Mask of Light, I find Makuta’s monologue to be pretty decent (except for the delivery). The bit near the end with Unity, Duty and Destiny is fine as well, but I like the Polish dub version a little bit more.

In the original it goes: “Their Unity will be poisoned, their Duty will be broken, their Destiny I must shatter.”
But in the Polish dub it goes: “I will poison their Unity. I will turn their Duty into ash. I will tear the thread of Destiny.”
(it’s worded in a way that keeps Unity, Duty and Destiny at the end of their repsective sentences, keeping the “integrity” of the line I guess, however it cannot be translated back into English that way due to English sentence order)

As for the Legends of Metru Nui, there’s also quite a few lines that were changed. One of the examples I could think of is the scene where Makuta tempts Vakama to join the Brotherhood. The dialogue goes:
Makuta: “You are a Great Mask Maker. You could have many destinies. Come, join my brothers and me.”
Vakama: “I desire just one, noble Destiny. More than any power you could offer me.”

But in the Polish dub, while similar, it was changed slightly:
Makuta: “You are a great Mask Maker. You could achieve many goals. Come, join my brothers and me.”
Vakama: “I want to achieve only one, noble goal - and that means we are enemies.”

It wouldn’t necessarily say that the lines were changed for the better, because I think they are both fine, but the difference is there nonetheless.

However, there are also some lines that were changed for the worse this time :stuck_out_tongue: In the original, once Makuta is defeated, he asks Vakama how did he do it alone. Then the other Toa show up, with Nokama shouting “Because he’s not alone”. Which was fine I guess, but the fact the Toa show up after the whole job is done makes this line kinda awkward in my opinion.

But in the Polish dub it was made even more awkward. Once Makuta is defeated, he asks Vakama: “Even Toa Lhikan couldn’t defeat me, how did you do it?” And then the rest of the Toa Metru show up, and Nokama shouts: “Because we did it together.” Like, what? No you didn’t, you did jack-■■■■ the entire fight :man_facepalming:

I’ll leave the Polish dub of the G1 movies alone for now (I can’t really think of any lines that were changed for the better in Web of Shadows, but it’s been ages since I last saw that movie). I’d like to touch upon G2 for a moment, most specifically the 2015 online animations. While I think the Polish dub was handled pretty mediocarely (as everything else in that theme), there’s one interesting thing I noticed, and it wasn’t even in the Polish dub.

In the Korean dub, of all things, they actually hired a voice actress to dub Gali. The video doesn’t want to embed for whatever reason, so I’ll post the link. They also added some grunts during the fight with LoSS which were absent from other language versions.

Makes me wonder why they couldn’t do it for the other languages as well…

6 Likes

Good grief, it is funny to hear them all speaking Korean. :stuck_out_tongue:

But seriously, why couldn’t they do this for the English version? The voice actor delineated his voice between the Toa more noticeably (especially the Narration) and the whole thing felt more like an actual story rather than just one guy reading out the whole thing. And it’s much less jarring to hear Gali speak in Korean than it is to hear her voiced by a male.

It’s not like it would have been that hard for Lego to do this in the other languages, surely…?

3 Likes

Really, past tense and all? That is hilarious :laughing:
This line is almost identical in Czech to the english version, but there is one small addition: “If even Toa Lhikan himself couldn’t defeat me, how could you? Because Vakama is not alone!”
I just like the addition of Vakama’s name by Nokama in this exchange, making much clearer comparison between Lhikan and Vakama. It should also be noted that the word “himself” in Makuta’s sentence in the czech dub sounds exactly like “alone” giving it a double meaning depending on the interpretation.

Wow! The Korean dub is way superior to english.

1 Like

10 Likes

I have seen some mentioning Nidhiki’s
“Why do I bother?” line in the Small things that Bothered you about the movies topic. In the German version Nidhiki says: “What did I do to deserve this guy?” I think that’s hilarious when you know why.

3 Likes

That is quite funny - that may be the best translation for that line I have heard.

1 Like

In movie three, finnish version makes it sound like the visorak in the city escaped from the archieves and conquered the city. Isntead of whenua only mentioning he noticed the species.

1 Like

Honsetly, I get that impression from most of the languages considering it is a follow up question right after Whenua talks about breached archives.

1 Like

The Bara Magna saga was weird for finnish children since names of Vastus and Kiina mean “the opponent” and “China” respectively

Vastus is cool, but in the movie line “we must save Kiina/China” had different meaning altogether. XD

9 Likes