Bionicle- Nova Orbis Reboot

Long have we awaited.

I find the atmosphere in this to be nothing short of crushing. I am thoroughly … not creeped out, or disturbed, just … saddened. I eagerly await the next issue.

3 Likes

There’s a lot to say but I really like how because Venti is an organic matoran, he grows wings like he evolved.
I especially love the lighting and atmosphere. It’s influenced my illustrations for a long time and I appreciate that.
The mask designs are also amazing especially in the background matoran. A little nitpick I have is that some don’t look like they’d be easy to mold which is a huge part in the design language for the original bionicle. Of course you’re not limited by those restraints and you’ve come up with really cool designs. I’m not sure if the toa of gravity is wearing a rau but it looks sick.

1 Like

As for my thoughts on the comic so far

I like it.

The atmosphere is fantastic and the art style is just the icing on the cake.

4 Likes

With him, I tried to make it hard to tell where his mask ends and his head begins.

1 Like

Very cool vehicle, it looks very close to being buildable. Loving the comic so far

5 Likes

Maybe it’s just because the sequence with Piras recruiting new Toa was more drawn out in the original, but the plot really feels like it’s moving at lightspeed right now. I’m still enjoying it, but hopefully it takes some time to breath a little once the whole core cast are introduced.

4 Likes

That’s a good point. I liked the reason Piras chose those four from the original. Here it feels like he just brought the first ones to take the offer.

2 Likes

Well… I’m trying to see if I can tell a cohesive enough story in about 20 pages at a time as an exercise in restraint.

@KanohiReqi There is a reason, but I can’t tell you now without spoiling a big reveal.

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

6 Likes

I don’t post very often on the boards anymore, but I will post here just because I think your work is amazing and I just rediscovered that the Nova Orbis reboot is happening. Totally gonna be reading it tomorrow and am excited, loved the og.

4 Likes

Everything returns to crab.
Carcinisation

4 Likes

Great start! I was a big fan of the original, and I love the reboot so far!

The first half is really great! But with the back half, as some have said, it feels more rushed and messy - I definitely understand the desire to pare things down from the original version, but part of me feels like at least one or two more pages could have been put toward the Toa-Recruitment scene, and the sequence at the very end with the Angel attack(?) could have gone to the start of next chapter/issue and had more room to breathe; as is, it’s mainly my prior knowledge that strings the first scene together, while without that context the latter comes off as rather disjointed and hard to parse. Still, you said you had a reason for that so I’ll trust your judgment; just might be something to watch out for when you’re outlining these.

Pacing issues aside, though, this is fantastic so far! The atmosphere feels a bit more heavy this time around, but not overwhelmingly so, and the differences between Ahkmou and the Nu-Matoran are as fun to explore as before! (Return to crab) The whole thing feels familiar and yet fresh; the addition of the Angels that weren’t in the original draft is an intriguing choice that throws a lot of what I remember out the window. I presume they were going to show up at some point then, but you bumped up their introduction to be a lot earlier? Though their design language definitely resembles some of the psionic-related imagery from the original, so maybe they were around the whole time. At any rate, this is definitely the element I’m most intrigued by, so can’t wait to see how that mystery unfolds!

The covers are gorgeous, by the way. Looking forward to the second issue ^^

1 Like

Regarding the pacing, is anything between Bahni and Calor still canon or do you plan to do flashbacks for each character?

Guys… I’m sorry, I dunno if I can do this if I have to make it longer. It’s easy to say “just add a couple pages here, flesh this out with a scene like this,” but it adds up. I just can’t do something like The Toa again. I don’t have the time, or even the energy. Either I make this short, concise, and yes a little “rushed” or it just can’t feasibly happen. Not unless I have, like, a team of people doing this with me.

11 Likes

not saying I’m gun-ho for the ride but I’m somewhat interested

3 Likes

I NEED ISSUE TWO

I know…

I could stop working on Planet Ripple, I guess?

2 Likes

I find it hard juggling projects so I for one would say, keep creating what makes you happy, I hope to one day self publish stuff like how you do and I can only imagine what it must be like making an entire series.

4 Likes

Thank you. I’m just… so tired.

6 Likes

Maybe a break then? Or experimenting with other ideas?

I know you are more experienced so my advice may not apply but sometimes I like to just draw totally random prompts with no expectations on myself of how much to do. A similar thing with Lego building I do is alt models as a therapeutic break, it’s moc making but with part constraints and those constraints make it surprisingly fun. Or if I am even more stuck I go outside or go random places on google earth and get random ideas rather than ones I’ve forced myself to try get done. I have Asperger’s and I’ve thought about creative block a lot, personally I start and stop a lot :stuck_out_tongue:

Btw I referenced Nova Orbis in a recent drawing so uh yeah you might find that nice to hear :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Dude i was being dramtic.I would like another issue,but i get it if you doing a different project.YO wait nevermind planet ripples awesome looking!

2 Likes