Bionicle Wiki Discussion: Biosector01 Vs Bionicle Wikia

Sorry, but I feel that this is a topic still worth discussing. If this was a personal topic, like a MOC or artwork, then sure, you can ask for it to be closed. But like in real life, when you bring up a discussion in a group of people that want to talk about it, the only thing that can stop it is people not wanting to talk about it anymore.

Topic stays open. Continue discussion, everyone.

12 Likes

basically, when the staff of bionicle wiki tell you that bionicle wiki is bad

itā€™s bad

13 Likes

Wait, they did?

Wow :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Bs01s loading better on my pc

now bs01 is superior in every way.

4 Likes

I like BS01ā€™s format a lot better. Bionicle Wikia isnā€™t horrible, though.

3 Likes

Eljay, I agree the title page and categories on BS01ā€™s start pages are good. I do not agree with most of your other points. Not to mention they are about 70% opinion that I am not going to adress

I know places where there is more info than BS01. Both sites have good and bad articles. Donā€™t act like there is no place on the Wikia where there is more info than BS01. Some places are bad on the Wikia (like the Piraka), but others have more info than BS01 (fan-created masks). The trivia section also has more facts than BS01ā€™s, although BS01 has more set information.

Yes, there is speculation in some places, but it tells you it is speculation, and I like having an idea what others think.

Wikia has that

Those are short articles for a bit of extra info. Why do you act like info is bad? And they are Matoran words, so they were in the story. And even if they werenā€™t, someone might want set info as well (BS01 has set areas too)

The categories for Gali has the Toa Nuva, all Toa of Water, and all Toa. How can you go anywhere else but still be related? I donā€™t want random info about Skopio when Iā€™m on Galiā€™s page

Okay, that is completely unfair. Even if you prefer BS01, there are only a couple minor differences like the cycling pictures/info. Youā€™re acting like its the difference between a punchcard computer and an iPhone5. You are saying there is not a single good thing about the Wikia, when in reality, if you changed the main page and the look (background, etc.), they would be practically identical.

The only articles where I think this is even a little true are the Piraka pages. For most pages, it has enough info. I used the Wikia for years and have only looked up the MNOG walkthrough on BS01, and based on your answers to story questions on the podcast, I know the story as well or even better than you.

THE POINT OF A WIKI IS TO GIVE INFORMATION AND NO INFO IS USELESS! Even if it is pointless to the topic at hand, every piece of information has a use. Minor pieces of information are almost always beneficial in one way or another. Even if you canā€™t find a use for them, other people can.

If I wanted to navigate, I would be looking, right? The pictures for BS01 donā€™t say what they link to unless you mouse over them, so people wouldnā€™t even know they were links. At least I know a top tab bar is for navigation.

That is an opinion. No one has yet stated they agree with that, and you do have a large bias seeing how you do Makuta Fest with the BS01 staff.

Okay, really? The difference between BS01 and the Wikia is like the difference between a set that has black pins, and a few not-easily-visible blue pins, and an identical set with blue pins, and a few not-very-visible black pins. There is such a little and negligible difference that either can be used

Nothing is perfect! There are some aspects of the Wikia that are better than BS01! Once again, you are acting like BS01 got a gold medal at the Olympics, while the Wikia washed out in state tryouts! (Excuse my metaphors)

Eljay, after reading what you said on this topic and the other one, I think you should revive Live Pretentiously. You could be an even better host then Kahi could.

I feel bad saying that, but honestly, that is the way youā€™re treating the Wikia. Show some respect for it or Iā€™ll lose my respect for you

1 Like

Please show me these places, cause I simply donā€™t believe that. Iā€™ve been roaming BS01 for the last 8-9 years, all the while keeping up with the books and other related story content. Itā€™s all solid. The info is solid, as is being up to date and well-written. I went ahead and compared the mask pages (Which took a while since for some reason the wikia dived up the masks to their own separate pages instead of having them all in one place like on BS01) and honestly, aside from mentioning the sourceless ā€œinspirationsā€, they donā€™t have any more information than BS01 does.

And ā€œmore factsā€ isnā€™t always a good thing. Are they better? Do they mimic BS01ā€™s? Are they new and different? What are they aside from just more?

If you want speculation, find the community. Speculation has no place on a wiki. A wikiā€™s purpose is to give a reader information from an un-bias perspective, which BS01 does. If you want speculation, I think the over-all community can satisfy your needs.

Short, stubby, unnecessary articles (a lot like the fan-masks pages). And I didnā€™t say they werenā€™t in the story, I said they werenā€™t used. Those are marketing terms at best, and as such, are oddly placed as being a page used to convey story information.

And if they want set info, then make the set info either a part of the characters page or something else. When you mix them, it gets confusing.

I suppose they work well enough, then. A lot of them still seem unusual, but if it works, it works.

Yes, I am acting like theyā€™re as different as a punch-card computer and an iPhone5. One is outdated, cumbersome, unappealing to the eye, and lacking in use. The other is streamline, quick and easy to use, and up to date on everything. Actually, wow, thatā€™s a really great analogy. Huh.

But seriously, yeah. If you did do those things, itā€™d be a good step. But it also needs a lot of work on the pages, of which lack severely in regards to story information, written formatting, etc. I laid out the issues earlier.

It shouldnā€™t have just ā€œenoughā€. The only thing that should have ā€œenoughā€ is a story one is writing. This is meant to be a wiki. A resource for information. I could learn ā€œenoughā€ about a car to drive it, but if I donā€™t know everything about driving a car, Iā€™ll either hurt myself or others or get fined.

Also, sorry for knowing so much information I occasionally forget. Itā€™s a lot to knowā€¦ Good thing I have BS01 to accurately fact-check what Iā€™m saying.

Then make it have a use elsewhere, cause if itā€™s pointless to the topic at hand, why is it there aside to clutter? Maybe it has to do with how itā€™s written, then.

Theyā€™re still very evident and brightly colored, leading people to them right away. And when you do mouse over them, itā€™s an immediate understanding that they are in fact buttons. To begin navigation on Wikia, youā€™ve gotta bounce around the standard looking toolbar. If you want, I guess you could say theyā€™re fairly even in this regard, but I like how BS01 does it more.

Pal-o, Iā€™ve been surfing BS01 long before we did MakutaFest with them. 8-9 years, to be exact. MakutaFest is a partnership, but I strongly support the wiki regardless because of my reasons stated above. MakutaFest has nothing to do with this.

Except one set has a consistent color scheme that isnā€™t broken up by ugly, color-clashing pins. Why are people so complacent when it comes to that? Did Takanuva 08 just never happen to anyone?

Such asā€¦ ?

Iā€™ll show respect for something that has earned it. Wikia hasnā€™t. Thatā€™s like saying I should respect someone who kicks puppies because hey, at least they grew up strong enough to be respected. It doesnā€™t work like that.

BS01 is accurate. Theyā€™ve become well-written and thorough. Greg Farshtey has even used it as a source of reference. If what all you say is true, why didnā€™t he use wikia? Because it isnā€™t as good.

Iā€™m not saying the people havenā€™t put work into Wikia. I think they have, and I know they have a partnership with the Custom Bionicle Wiki (which is a great idea, Iā€™d have to say) which works well. Iā€™m sure theyā€™ve poured their heart and soul out into that wiki. But being proud of the effort put into something is often pointless. Be proud of the result, or donā€™t.

If you donā€™t respect me for having this opinion, thatā€™s fine. Youā€™re absolutely free to do so. But it doesnā€™t change where I stand on the matter, since I do not believe Iā€™m wrong in this case.

4 Likes

Personally, Iā€™m very fond of Biosector01. Iā€™m actually a very frequent user of Wikia, but I have found that the Bionicle Wiki (TBW) to sometimes lack the accuracy that Iā€™m used to on BS01. Iā€™m not saying that TBW isnā€™t as accurate, because a lot of the time its articles are just as good as those on BS01. Generally, however, I feel that the information on BS01 is more useful and easier to navigate. As well as this, some of TBWā€™s articles arenā€™t of the best quality, and have often led me to misunderstand the meaning of their articles due to some awkward wording. I havenā€™t visited TBW in a while so these may well have changed since my last visit, but itā€™s definitely something to keep in mind.

2 Likes

ElJay, I am eternally sorry for any stress and issues I am causing you. Truth be told, I prefer BS01. I let my bias for Wikia get the best of me.

Alright Kahi, since others want this open (including you), I will go along with it.

And the Cruel irony of this whole situation is that I drew this a little bit ago: http://fav.me/d8m4ou4

Okay, this is the reason Iā€™m arguing with you. I agree BS01 is better, but you are saying there is that huge of a distance between them. Do you know how old and unreliable punchcard computers are? The Wikia is a few steps behind, not several miles. A much better analogy would be original iPhone to iPhone5. Both are good, there are few reasons the original is better to some (smaller, some different features, not iOS 7), but the 5 has more reasons to like it and is more widely liked. Despite this, they are both good, and while one has limitations, they can both function. BS01 is better, but it is not a huge distance between them. A notable one, but not a huge one. The Wikia is a good site, BS01 is a great one. I just want you to stop acting like the Wikia garbage, because it is good.

2 Likes

I respect your previous statement.
Donā€™t succumb to the power of conformity and groupthink. Great, now my sociology notes are talking >_<

1 Like

I think youā€™re letting this get to you more than it should. So you have a different opinion than us. So what? We put up with tons of people that have different opinions than we do. This isnā€™t a flame war at all, itā€™s still a very reasonable discussion. Sure, weā€™ve made our points, but if youā€™re going to backtrack on your opinion, backtrack because you think our points make sense, not just because weā€™re the ones that said it.

The original iPhone? You mean the one that didnā€™t have MMS, any apps or even an App Store, or the ability to copy and paste, compared to the iPhone we have today? Yeah, I guess that is a good analogy after all.

Any of the whole ā€œuse more than one source thingā€ or ā€œdonā€™t use a Wiki as a sourceā€ generally apply to when youā€™re writing a research paper. Thatā€™s because it is, in fact, a paper. Thereā€™s rules and standards to that kind of thing. I think that makes for a very small percentage of either wikiā€™s audience. Most are probably looking for facts they donā€™t remember, story arcs they didnā€™t read, or just research for fan-related projects (fan fiction, primarily).

For this purpose, BS01 has proven to be consistently reliable and accurate, while the Wikia has not. The Wikia has paled in comparison in almost every area for me, including the areas where it matters most. I donā€™t think very highly of it. Really, the only thing they could start doing that BS01 isnā€™t right now is having references to page numbers in books or Farshtey Feed posts. Outside of that, thereā€™s no way they can dethrone BS01 as the definitive Bionicle wiki, at least in my mind.

5 Likes

Youā€™re right on that. I did let it get to me

Well I do consider it borderline, but thatā€™s just my opinion and my opinions have a 50/50 track record.

I agree with you. Also I let my Wikia bias get the best of me when I was responding to ElJay for the first time.

I think what we all need to realize is that when it comes to any matter of ā€œwhich thing is better?ā€ literally any argument either person makes is little more than opinion.

I think that some of us may just be getting a bit more heated if only because maybe some among us donā€™t realize that constantly restating ā€œthis is just an opinionā€ is not necessary, because it is assumed that we can all be mature and reasonable.

8 Likes

I use BS01 because usually it is not the first thing on Google to show up and I need that exercise.

/s

2 Likes

Oh this opened againā€¦ Now Iā€™m sorry I deleted that post I had been writing just when it closed :P.

I remember way back in the day when I was young and didnā€™t know much about Bionicle I went there to get some info on Kopeke and someone had messed something up so it called him a ā€œsheā€. For about 3 years after that (I was clueless about Bionicle for a whileā€¦) I thought ko-matoran were all female.

6 Likes

I have the reverse problemā€¦the Wikia will not work for meā€¦and I just like BS01 moreā€¦for my EVUUUUUL razinsā€¦

1 Like

RIP RaptorTalon on CBW

1 Like

cbw is dead

stop