Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

I would imagine Faber, who worked on the original G1, would try to handle it like it’s supposed to be. Sure, G2 was undeveloped, but I highly doubt Faber would screw up G3.

10 Likes

Not really, I personally quite liked it. The sets were pretty decent and gave us quite a bunch of useful parts for MOCs, the problem was, as I have said already, in the story.

G2 had nothing from the original Bionicle, and was made by just some random designers that probably weren’t even very familiar with the theme. This reboot is made by Christian Faber, one of the original creators of Bionicle. So yeah, trying to reboot something that partially he created will definitely have quite some effort put I to it.
Also, remember how he told us in his posts to look forward instead of backward? I don’t know about you, but that’s exactly what I am going to do: Ignore what didn’t go well in the past and think about what could go well in the future.

8 Likes

But something is happening, and it’s worth talking about. If Faber does a good job, this can only serve to help keep Bionicle alive in some way for longer, which will only help any official reboots.

The story, yes. The sets, no; and without a merch component, Faber will be free to do whatever he likes with whatever medium he’s working with, which is nothing but good.

You have no grounds on which to assume this, and you just look like a geewunner for it. Faber was also one of the OG concept artists, so he should have a better idea of what Bionicle should be like than whoever the hell was responsible for G2.

7 Likes

Exactly. Even if this doesn’t turn out to be that great, at least it will help the community stay alive, and maybe, who knows, it may also bring a few new fans in.[quote=“SirKeksalot, post:308, topic:48962”]
have no grounds on which to assume this, and you just look like a geewunner for it. Faber was also one of the OG concept artists, so he should have a better idea of what Bionicle should be like than whoever the hell was responsible for G2.
[/quote]

I can’t agree more.

4 Likes

My only problem is that people are still assuming this is a G3 of some kind. We don’t know for sure yet. All we know is that Faber had plans to go to LEGO (which we still don’t know if he’s done that yet or if he did and got rejected), and that Cryoshell might possibly be involved.

If we’re talking about what might be plausible, I personally think some kind of multi-media storytelling effort is what Faber would be going for, adapting Bionicle to fit the modern age and using a primarily art medium to tell it.

It’s also quite possible that since Cryoshell might be involved, the entire thing could be heavily music based.

14 Likes

I would argue that, if it is meant to be a new Bionicle narrative set in its own universe, it would count as a sort of G3 regardless of Lego’s blessing. At worst, we could consider it G2.5, which I think is the best way to look at it until further notice.

7 Likes

On the subject of G2, i personally don’t “hate” the story, or the sets. Personally i liked the more mythological based lore that was used instead of the sci-fi angle that G1 used. Plus the masks had a some what larger meaning in G2 were as in G1 they are more like tools.

I do wonder if what ever Faber is working on would try something like that.

5 Likes

Greg Farshtey: brought in as a creative consultant.
Story: has several references, similarities, and call-backs to the original – two brothers, the protectors’ similarities to the Turaga, the Toa being summoned to the island, the Toa having amnesia upon their arrival, masks that can control your mind, etc.
Art: we got an entire artbook of concept art, much of which was based on stuff from G1.

Not if he’s working with Lego. Which seems to be his goal.

Slime put this pretty well.

There is plenty of reason to assume that, if G2 failed, a G3 would fail (again, if Lego is involved). Maybe Lego has learned from their mistakes. Or maybe not.

Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m looking forward to whatever this is. But there’s no reason to say it will be good just because Faber’s involved. If Lego is involved, we’ll probably get sets, but the story might fail for the same reason G2 did. If Lego isn’t involved, than the story should be handled well, but it limits what Faber can do.

~W12~

5 Likes

I agree here too. Even if it’s a project that is completely independent from LEGO, it would still count more or less as Bionicle G3, or at least that might be the way the community will refer to it as regardless of the official name.

I personally highly doubt they had. Their current marketing is all about System themes, leaving very few space for investments in other things such as constraction or Bionicle. That was kinda the main reason G2 flopped. If they have learned from the mistake, then they would have to change their marketing significantly, which I honestly doubt they would really do.

4 Likes

I want to stop the stigma that G2 flopped because LEGO ‘didn’t care’ if they didn’t it wouldn’t have had a Netflix series hell they wouldn’t have made it at all!

Lego do things to make money yes but they also do things that they want to do, if they didn’t care, it’d be a poorly made rushed theme and they wouldn’t get well…

Money

And also can you stop talking about Licensed vs Unlicensed themes? We have a pleathora including Hidden Side, City, Friends, Technic, Duplo and Juniors!

1 Like

Just as I was about to say, “For once, LegoDavid and I agree!”

1 Like

If they had cared it would’ve had a fully-fledged TV show from the start like Ninjago, Nexo Knights, or Legends of Chima.

Sure, they cared a little, but not enough.

5 Likes

Well… That is what o kinda was… A poorly rushed theme. Didn’t you say yourself that it sucked?

Exactly! If they really cared, they would have at least bothered to make a TV Show, like with most of their modern in-house themes. It’s no wander why themes that for some reason people hate nowdays (aka Hero Factory, Chima, and Nexo Knights) were so much more successful than G2.

2 Likes

Wait I didn’t realize this was a Debate G2 topic

Oh it’s not?

It’s a 310N topic?

Huh.

13 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByfwQTJp8eb/
Faber’s back at it with a picture of…NGC 7773? This may mean he’s either teasing that 3IONICLE will take place on many planets and maybe even in space, or he’s asking “where am I?” to get the audience to try to figure out where in this galaxy 3IONICLE takes place.

7 Likes

I guess the location will be something similar to Hero Factory, where the setting is in space on different planets. I’m super excited to learn more about this new setting!

1 Like

######People just like to bring it up wherever they can so they can continue to bury it.

13 Likes

What if it takes place on that one jungle planet with the dinosaurs we never got to see

10 Likes

uhm acktually it was a moon :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Looks at post for some amazing conspiracy theories

Sees G2 debate

facepalm

4 Likes