Biovival Discussion (aka Christian Faber's mysterious project)

Aight now it’s really going too far.

Only on Mondays 2 weeks after invoicing and only when sacrificing A Pearl Gold Kraahkan on an altar of Mata Canister Lids.

I do genuinely work for a communications consulting firm at the moment, and I do genuinely get paid to look at people’s websites/social media. I’m not saying I could do it better than Faber by any means, but I do have a level of experience in this that’s likely higher than your average TTVBoard member.

Or TTV member for that matter

9 Likes

GIVE THAT TO ME

6 Likes

Wait, but that’s not what-

Oh NO

Well, you could do part of it better.

5 Likes

But Cronk. They were Sacrificed to you.

Are you telling me Fedex lost the order again?

(Also I guess i should do the responsible thing and not feed into off topic memery?)

6 Likes

I have not gotten a single one.

I hear some guy on an island with a volleyball has been getting them all…

8 Likes

do not cite the holy movie

4 Likes

What the heck is going on here, I thought people are talking about Faber’s recent teases not sacrificed Pearl Gold Kraahkan or ex-Mods.

3 Likes

You aren’t making sense, those are synonyms.

3 Likes

Thank you guys for this entertaining respite from the intense discussions.

Wilson!!! NoOoOo Wilsonnn!!! :sob: saddest cinematic character death

Also these recent discussions are very logical and reasonable. My thoughts are as before I’m not going to get angry at Faber for his convoluted approach and I’m going to come back when he’s done.

Mind you those hints of wanting the community to collaborate is a nice idea. Imagine if we just all worked together and made our own fun thing?

3 Likes

Now for my true thoughts on this. I do believe Faber does have something to deliver. However, I think his approach of (if previous arguments are true) depending on fan backing isn’t the best way to do it. I know he’s said “true fans” would get behind him. However, I don’t think that is a reliable way to campaign for a revival.

Especially when particular fans like me would much rather BIONICLE be laid to rest and just have fan projects/MOCs/fanon keep the base alive. I have little reasons personally to want another revival, or back one for that matter. Especially with how poorly G2 was handled (which, to be fair, my perception is probably twisted because of the mess that was moderating the 2016 BIONICLE topic, Lord have mercy on me). If Faber can somehow convince me this is a good idea after much disappointment, I might catch on.

The problem is that he has not communicated enough with the community to sway me, even if I think he does have a product. If a fan like me cannot get invested into another revival, how does he expect a huge corporation like LEGO to listen to him? That is the question I think Faber needs to ponder if he truly desires to create a revival.

However, I’d also want to bring attention to the strange trend Lego has been going with nowadays. There has been a large increase in focusing on third party/collectors themes in the LEGO aisle when I have shopped. This includes the LEGO art and other things. Besides Ninjago’s mechs and stuff, there is not much hope for constraction there, and I’ve felt very little focus on the core LEGO evergreen themes.

This leads me to believe that LEGO has been focusing primarily on their licensed and collectable or even adult-oriented series. Which BIONICLE, if Faber envisions it like he once did 20 years ago, just does not fit in. It is too risky; LEGO plays it safe nowadays, with new Ninjago phases only being experimental. Perhaps there is a welcome expansion in Ideas (but those are often expensive, geared toward adults again) and Creator, but for sets oriented toward children? I have seen little.

This is a concern for LEGO itself, however, but my point is this: I don’t think LEGO desires to delve into risk these days, and Faber’s proposal is definitely risky considering he has no other baseline besides a few logos. But even if he did have something substantial, part of me wonders if LEGO would desire to delve into the risk again, like with G1 and G2.

TL;DR - Fan backing will not work, and LEGO will likely not endorse such a project because they are not risk takers at the moment. It’s a fruitless endeavor.

4 Likes

You and many others here are fighting tooth and nail over one man botching an attempt at internet marketing and you expect the most vile toy fanbase in the multiverse to collaborate, no strings attached?

Well, you did say imagine. I guess I can do that.

9 Likes

You could turn that into a movie.

3 Likes

Black and white Snyder-styled docu-drama about a bunch of 30-year-old fans becoming hot shots and reviving BIONICLE. Heartfelt story, someone’s grandma dies, and in the end we get a tragic story where the heroes never get BIONICLE revived but realize the true adventure was the friends made along the way.

13 Likes

Yes. I was going to tack: “but that’s a pipe dream” on the end but I’d rather leave such a statement open ended and not overly pessimistic.

Also uh I’m not fighting tooth and nail. I’m not hanging off every word of Faber. I’m just popping into this topic to see what people’s opinions are.

Edit: also yeah I get we’re a part of a divided fan base who would struggle to work together. Personally I think people should let go of canon and go the route of Transformers where the story gets constantly rebooted/reinterpretated perhaps with some interlinked reboots. It makes sense considering Bionicle is established as having a multiverse with alternative possibilities.

1 Like

both™

1 Like

There is another user here with a dark red Bionicle mask pfp who is so therefore you are guilty by association

Only one option here folks

3 Likes

You realize Bionicle fans are still LEGO fans, right?

They got max moolah. Especially the unwisely incentivized ones.

If - and this is a maximum size If - you can get them to give money, they’ll fund you to the dang moon. Faber may’ve made more than just PR mistakes, but he’s not crazy for trying to poke a hole in the LEGO fan’s wallet and catch some of the spare change.

He might be crazy for attempting to use it as leverage when speaking to other companies, though.

Removed off-topic content- Prentice1215

Bruh, it’s still a double post and I’m really confused why you would delete the statement that it is. Let’s not play this back and forth edit game, pretty please- Ghid

5 Likes

that wasn’t in the thesaurus

A lot of the discussion is just speculation though, right? We don’t know what Faber said in any existent or nonexistent meetings. I think the best we can hope for in terms of answers at this point is an interview, although we know how that went last time.

2 Likes

While I have all the respect for Faber there’s certainly a problem with how he’s doing things at the moment, evident by people’s reactions to his newest posts. My recommendation is that he maybe shift things up a bit, change how he’s doing things as he’s obviously not placating people’s hunger atm.

Removed off-topic content- Prentice1215

Edit: you guys do that?

I’m aware. I’m just unsure if your point of “max moolah” is nessecarily correct. The collectors? Definitely. But that doesn’t account for everyone within the fandom. Myself included. Maybe back in G2 I could buy a full wave, but man I’m getting older, and have less money.

I’m not nessecarily saying “crazy”, more “perhaps he should not have just relied on the backing of the few BIONICLE fans around.” True, we are LEGO fans, but do we make up a majority of LEGO’s market? If you can answer that as “yes” I think my point would be null. But I feel we’re pretty niche, which means LEGO would have to be reaching into a niche market.

My point here is this: Perhaps all BIONICLE fans are LEGO fans, but not all LEGO fans are BIONICLE fans. Which is where this difference of niche markets comes from.

Which, granted, they are doing with the collectors stuff nowadays, but I think focusing on Marvel and Star Wars is a safer way of reaching a wide collector audience. BIONICLE again? Not sure. I think LEGO would have to find a way to get casual fans into it again. And this time, for goodness sake, advertise it.

That’s my point. Using LEGO BIONICLE fans in itself may not be the best idea, unless a majority of the LEGO market agrees to such a thing. But as it stands, I think we’re getting pretty niche. Already a generation of kids who never heard of BIONICLE is growing, and I have a feeling LEGO will want to appeal to those more.

But I’d be happy to be wrong.

2 Likes