Botar's death

Hey everyone! So I read that Icarax killed Botar with his power of Magnetism. I’m trying to think about how that would go. What would that look like?

2 Likes

I suppose you can just scrunch him up like a tin can if his armor is magnetic. I don’t see how that is in any way better than using gravity to do the same, but eh.

In most cases Magnetism works the same as gravity except worse/limited. You can exert a virtual force on a thing and use it to move it around, crush it or pull it apart.

4 Likes

Maybe Icarax crushed botar inside his armor like a can of soda. Maybe he tore him apart

2 Likes

Ok so from what I checked a Makutas Magnetism seems to be most commonly used to pull steel apart, as opposed to gravity which usually crushes. So it may be safe to say that it was the second option, tearing apart.

Alternatively, consider blasting a piece of steel through his brain using magnetic power as a railgun, but I’m not sure if a Makutas limited Magnetism control can do that.

3 Likes

Interesting, It does say “Has the power to warp, shred or crush metallic objects” on the Kraata powers page. I always imagined it like he just instantaneously flattened him to the ground in that scene so quickly that dust kicked up. But crushing him into himself sounds crazy as well.

1 Like

I think I saw somewhere that Icarax used magnetism to crush Botar.

1 Like

Your right! I just read it in Federation of Fear online serial: “The island that came into view was little more than a piece of barren rock. It was not the original site for this meeting, but plans had changed. Two Order of Mata Nui members, Botar and the nine-foot tall warrior named Trinuma had been dispatched with a cache of weapons for a rendezvous on a small, wooded island just off the mainland. But a Makuta named Icarax had spotted their appearance and attacked. The fight was furious, but brief. Botar was slain, crushed by the Makuta’s magnetic power, and Trinuma barely escaped to tell the tale. In desperation, he stored the weapons at the first place he came to before returning to Daxia with the tragic news.”

Well that figures considered that Makuta don’t follow a code like the Toa, so it makes sense that he would do something like that

2 Likes

This quote might not be literal in that sense; “crushed” is often used to mean “swiftly defeated”, and to crush someone can imply overwhelming victory over them. I think it’s vague. Plus, if Icarax could use his Magnetism powers to physically crush someone as big and powerful as Botar on a whim, he would have used this power elsewhere in his many combat scenes (against Ignika, especially). I think it’s likely (and a “furious” fight supports this) that Icarax used his magnetism powers in secondary conjunction with either brute force or another power, as he has been known to do, to defeat Botar.

1 Like

It might not be literal but I think it is, in Q&As with Greg Farshtey he has stated more than once that the Makuta as a species are vastly more powerful than the toa and could easily kill them, the Makuta in Karda Nui were holding back as they did not want the toa dead before completing their task. He even stated that their elemental power is greater than that of the toa as well as the will and mental discipline to use it with greater result, according to the Q&A he said that the only ones more powerful in elemental power are the element lords and Toa Tuyet with the nui stone( but she lacks the will and discipline to use it better than a Makuta). For instance like when Icarax defeated the entire Toa Nuva team single handedly with little effort or Botar. When fighting the Toa of Life/Toa Ignika he did not want to risk destroying the mask of life as he wanted it and since if you read that battle in legends 9 page 118 he was clearly not in any need to use such power, he was easily winning that fight and he thought he could just reach out and grab the mask without any problems but he was not aware that the mask of life could turn a non organic energy being back into a biomechanical one. I can actually put a link to the quotes if I need to back up my source.

1 Like