Brickonicle G3 Elements Poll [Worldbuilding] [Pitch]

The pink, as a secondary color for Lewa, was an afterthought on my part. To be honest, purple would probably work better. I must have missed your post where you stated that you wanted a yellow and purple Lewa, because I was operating under the assumption that you did not want a yellow main character.

2 Likes

Don’t a lot of sea animals also have subdued color schemes or camouflage to hide from predators…

5 Likes

And magic is not the premise of Harry Potter, a dark wizard trying to take over the world is. And the force isn’t the premise of Star Wars, it’s the battle of a rebellion against a corrupt empire. Magic and the force just facilitate and explain the story, as protodermis does for Bionicle.

They are not creating energy, they spend energy to use their powers.

Yes, because the magical unexplained substance doesn’t exist. But iron does. And if you call it iron it has to be iron.

What this guy said.

Technically their organic parts are made of protodermis which actually only mimics organic compounds, so we don’t really know if water plays a role in their bodies. Also we never found out in canon of the actually had lungs. So far as we know, the only Toa that can mess with the inner workings of the inhabitants of the MU is a Toa of Iron.

Book are actually entirely mechanical… cool scene though.

Well for starters iron ore is a mineral found in stone and this could be called a subset of stone the same way stone can be called a subset of earth. Moving past that, naturally occurring metallic iron is riddled with impurities making it basically just a shiney brittle rock. And if the entire iron desert is oxidized, it’s really no more useful than regular sand. So what your saying is that you want to replace stone with a Toa that can only control shiney stones that are easy to break.

2 Likes

But without magic, Harry Potter would be nothing. Without the Force, Star Wars would just be a generic space opera. Bionicle doesn’t need protodermis.

Ah, right, elemental energy exists. We nonetheless don’t learn what that actually is and how it’s generated.

The substance still doesn’t really answer any questions. It still leaves the nature of the impossible things we see in Bionicle wide open, with more questions that if it didn’t exist to start with.

Tell that to G1. “Iron” was only used because it sounded more mystical than metal; the element was actually comprised of all metal. Even if that weren’t the case, this world operates on different terms, so why couldn’t we just make that how it works in G3, with “Iron” being only how the element is referred to.

Toa of Iron also control regular metal. The part about oxidization doesn’t cripple them because Toa can create their element out of thin air as needed. So, no, Pohatu wouldn’t be able to control only “shiny stones that are easy to break.”

I, honestly, was assuming you wanted to have a yellow and dark blue Lewa!Before I realized you wanted pink

I never really said I wanted a Purple/yellow Lewa (sorry if that was confusing); I was just trying to use Danju’s color scheme as an example.

I’m not against having a yellow main character, but I’d want to keep the same elements as well. Lewa G2 had yellow accents or Keet-orange or something to go along with the green. I wouldn’t really care if Lewa was yellow and had a secondary color of green, or if he was yellow and had a secondary color of cyan (as it’s sort of a blue color, which could work in the color scheme).
I’m really fine with Lewa’s color choices, as long as he still controls Air/Wind. (it was really changing him to lightning that bugged me)

@Joe It goes either way honestly. I was thinking of all the different colors of fish, but you are right in the amount of animals with camouflage color schemes.

1 Like

Crabs are neat

Where are my Bionicles covered in grime that look like a sea floor? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Questions no one ever bothered to ask, and this never got answer.

We also never saw them use iron or any other metal in canon.

Yes, they could, but naturally occurring Iron, or other metals, are riddled with impurities and are this brittle. Also, no they can’t make iron out of thin air, they can make metallic protodermis, that magical element you have such a problem with. In fact this was true of Pohatu, Onua, and Gali as well, they didn’t actually create stone, earth or water, they mimicked it with protodermis.

1 Like

This does not change the fact that the question wasn’t answered at all.

I’m going on BS01 here. Also, if we never saw them use their powers, how can we be certain of their limits?

Impurities aren’t part of the substance itself. The Toa in question could suck the metal out, leaving the junk behind. Boom, metal ready for stabbing.

First, all Toa can create both the naturally-ocurring version of the substance they control and the protodermis equivalent. Second, I don’t have a problem with protodermis, I’m just saying it doesn’t instantly make anything that’s physically impossible in Bionicle totally negligible because we don’t learn enough about it for there to be no further questions.

Ha-HA!
Zaria uses his powers to force Chiara an Zaria to the ground and to pull at the Vorox weapons in The Yesterday Quest.

~W12~

1 Like

The impurities are fused into the metal at the molecular level. Suggesting that they could simply “suck out the metal” is to suggest that they can manipulate the individual molecules of the element, which is preposterous.

They tell us that protodermis can be use in those ways. Asking why it can be used that way is like asking why carbon is hard when formed in a crystalline structure. Or why mercury is liquid at room temperature. It’s a property of the material.

I stand corrected.

I get that we have to fuse some elements (plasma to fire and lightning, magnetism and iron to metal etc), but why can’t we just have the standard six, switch Pohatu’s stone out for plant and have Lewa have a pale green or dark green (emerald green and Metru green) or grey/silver and have Pohatu use Lewa master’s colours, a more vibrant green and yellow to convey jungle vibrancy.
As a kid, whenever I saw cartoons and other media depict wind or air it was a pale green (except avatar) or with greyish blur effects. Couldn’t a toa of air therefore be easily recognisable as a pale or dark green mixed with greys and silvers?
Could someone clarify why this is/isn’t the case, I’ve gotten lost in the discussion of character colours.

I am unaware that Toa were able to do anything involving ducks. However, I do know that what’s really preposterous is implying that that’s somehow more ridiculous than the prospect of elemental powers existing at all.

The properties of protodermis are really vague. It seemingly just has the traits of whatever substance the Great Beings want at the time. When it’s at room temperature, it can be either a liquid or a solid. In its liquid state, it adopts metallic properties when it’s hot. We don’t even learn what it really is–it’s organic, it came from Spherus Magna’s core, and apparently it can be alive, but that’s it. How was its original state (energized protodermis) formed? Where does its energy and sentience come from? How does it know anything about destiny? In having this mystery goop be the explanation for everything, more questions are raised than answered.

And that’s all fine. Bionicle always had an air of mystery to it, anyway. But that still means that Bionicle isn’t suddenly feasible in real life.

I mean, if there’s a forest of cacti in the desert, and that’s where Po-Koro gets its water supply, then maybe a plant motif works; but if we’re keeping with a lot of the core concepts G1 threw at us, Le-Koro is probably staying in the forest, where plant powers make the most sense, and Po-Koro is staying in the desert. Though I will admit that the prospect of farming cacti for water is cool in any case…

and like i have brought up before, air does make more sence in the desert than in the forest/jungle, given that there is not so much stuff in the desert that can slow down or block the path of the air.

I hate autocorrect.

That’s because protodermis was artificially created by the Great Beings, based on the naturally occurring version Energized Protodermis.

That’s it’s natural state.

It’s a living thing. Living things have energy. Living things can be sentient.

Maybe it’s a forth dimensional being that can see all of time at once. I don’t know. No one in the story ever bothered to ask the Energized Protodermis Entity how it knows. So it never got explained.

Anyways, this is day three of this debate and I’m pretty sure people are tired of us taking up the entire topic with it. I’m just gonna make a poll to see what people think and then wash my hands of this nonsense because at this point it’s not much better than spam.

Should stone be replaced as an element?

• Yes
  • No
0 voters

If it was to be replaced, which element would you choose?

• Iron
  • Sand
  • Air? Someone suggested it I think…
  • Other
0 voters

Crap, I forgot to hit show voters on the second one…

I was gonna make a reply to your arguments in that post, but you’re actually right there. This thread isn’t about EP, it’s about the elements G3 would have. So yeah, I’m not even sure how we got so derailed to begin with. Oops.

EDIT: Ayy, better call Iron Maiden, because it looks like metal is in the lead so far.

EDIT AGAIN: Also, to any voters, keep in mind that we’re designing G3 to be Bionicle in a more approachable form for newcomers, most of whom will expect Earth and Stone to be under a single label, since that’s how it’s pretty much always done.

Because a mod didn’t stop us…

IF it was replaced. Jury’s still out on weather or not people even want it to.

Anyways, that’s enough about this, time to move on…

Honestly, no, I wouldn’t be disappointed. I doubt that at 30 years old I’d really care so much that a Lego set resembling one from my childhood had a different name, and it certainly wouldn’t keep me from buying it and others for my kids (or for myself, for that matter).

But yeah, I guess I understand that there are others who’d be disappointed in the fact. Considering that G3 could very well be a System theme, though, I assume that the characters’ names would be the least of nostalgic fans’ worries.

Considering that Pohatu will be relocating to the jungle as Toa of Nature, why not have him and Lewa trade spots? The rocky, barren desert can serve as the new Le-Wahi and be fraught with thunderstorms to communicate the idea of it being the “Region of Lightning”.

EDIT: Just saw the post where you suggested a Thunder Meadow type location. I like that idea, but a desert feels like an almost necessary locale in the world. I suppose such a desert could exist as a dark, cold, and harsh place where the majority of baddies hang out.

1 Like

Wait, isn’t the poll about whether Stone should be replaced to start with kind of pointless? I mean, the OP’s poll on which 6 elements should be included shows that only about 38% of voters want it on the main team, which indicates that 62% want it gone.

No because 38% is still more than any other element (excluding the main five above it) has. And as you can see it’s a very close call. Right now Yes is barely winning, but 18 voters is a very small sample size.

If we have Pohatu as a toa of nature, can’t we make his region a jungle and have the region of air be filled with high mountains, ravines cliffs etc, anyway shouldn’t most regions have some form of foliage?
The only differing part of the jungle region is it’s a heavily forested jungle?