Brickonicle: Golden Masks of Time [Concept]

I know the pitch has been dormant for some time, but this idea came to me about a month back and I’ve been meaning to get it out of my head.

The Mask of Time is supposed to be broken into fragments after time is frozen across Artakha (as seen in Oomatu’s old pitch here) but I’ve always struggled to reconcile that with how they would have been presented in sets, especially given LEGO’s love for collectibles.

Then the Golden Kanohi and Great Disks came to mind, as well as the Time Blades from Ninjago and a healthy dose of the various time-related Stands in JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure (dangerous territory I know), so the end result of brainstorming was that the six fragments of the Mask of Time would each become a new Golden Mask with a different power over time, and each one would be patterned or molded with a section of the Mask of Time itself into its surface (I think that prints would probably be more likely so fewer moulds would need creating though). I might do some rough sketches another day f the mood strikes me. This would be yet another take on the Golden Masks, yes, but a more unique one than previously given both Gen1 and Gen2 were basically power amplifiers or enablers.

The major risk of course would be the characters who use said masks becoming too overpowered, though as the mask would presumably be merged back into the Mask of Time at the climax of the first year to free the island, it’s a problem that at least would not persist in the remaining years.

I tried to assign the mask powers to characters and/or elements they fit. Some were easy, like Pohatu, Tahu and Kopaka, but the others were trickier and I’m not entirely sure I got them right. I do love the idea of Lewa having an ironic power though.

Kanohi Vakakama, the Great Mask of Time Speed: Allows the wearer to accelerate time in a localized area. Toa Pohatu found this mask in the Great Canyon. This mask bears the right cheek of the Mask of Time.

Kanohi Vasuko, the Great Mask of Time Stop: Allows the user to stop time for a moment. Toa Kopaka found this mask atop the highest peak in Ihu. This mask bears the left eye of the Mask of Time.

Kanohi Vazemi, the Great Mask of Time Destruction: Allows the user to eliminate the perception of a fraction of time for all beings in range, except the user. Toa Tahu found this mask in the largest volcano in Mangai. This mask bears the mouth of the Mask of Time.

Kanohi Varua, the Great Mask of Time Slow: Allows the user to slow time in a localized area. Toa Lewa found this mask at the highest of the floating islands of Kanae. This mask bears the right eye of the Mask of Time.

Kanohi Varotu, the Great Mask of Time Reversion: Allows the user to rewind time a few minutes. Toa Onua found this mask beneath the Great Archive. This mask bears the left cheek of the Mask of Time.

Kanohi Valda, the Great Mask of Time Sight: Allows the user to experience visions into the future. The further seen, the less clear the vision. Toa Gali found this mask in the Abyss Trench. This mask bears the forehead of the Mask of Time.

11 Likes

Ok, that’s actually really cool! I can see this working well as a line of sets!

5 Likes

agreed - sounds very intersestin!

5 Likes

Yeah this idea with the six collectibles forming the Mask of Time is interesting. Sounds cool

2 Likes

Really cool ideas

2 Likes

Will these get 3d models?

1 Like

Likely not from me. I have no 3D modelling experience beyond modelling clay. I am hoping to do some sketches this weekend though.

1 Like