Chlorine & Scrubs

“Hello! You have reached Chlorine’s Purification Services! How may I help you today? Got any bats–I mean algae! Any algae or other pests that need to be removed from your pool or other water holders?”

Click!

“Uhg. I really need to stop doing that. How did the others adapt so quickly?”
IMG_1282a

Forgotten, some argue never existed, members of the Mass Mite Counter Coalition, Chlorine and Scrubs have moved on from the war to more peaceful occupations. Or at least Chlorine is trying her best, might stir up trouble out of jealousy.

IMG_1244a

As a water skidder, Chlorine can essentially walk on water and is most at home there. Though on land, she has some difficulty in traversal and sometimes requires assistance. Not that she’ll take it with gratitude. Usually harmed with a high-pressure bleach cannon.

Chlorine’s General Body:

Scrubs is Chlorine’s dull-witted cousin, some sort of odd water bug. He usually does as he’s told, until he becomes distracted by his own thoughts. Generally seen as harmless, but has somehow glitched out his robotic eye, making it a lazy robotic eye. Repairs have been unsuccessful so far.

Scrubs General Body:

Most often, Scrubs is distracted by the idea to dance. He does the Zombie pretty well, but is always trying to add some new move.

Scrubs showing off his dance moves:

Imminent doom for slacking off to dance.
IMG_1301a
IMG_1297a

Chlorine trying to prove she can stand like a batgirl.

Scrubs trying to cover her after she does the splits.
IMG_1284a

She will never recover from this embarrassment.
IMG_1285a

Oh well, she will just blast anyone that makes fun of her.
IMG_1292a

Designer’s Notes: Perfectly balanced, as all things should be.

Though in all seriousness, I originally wasn’t planning on making any bugs. While Bumbleberry and kids were conceptually in the works since September after some discussions, these two are last minute. Mostly due to my sister being surprised and asking why I made a batgirl over the bugs. Bugs seemed to be more my thing.

Stares at all the bug MOCs I’ve made this year alone.

Which is partially the reason why, I build bugs all the time. So building a batgirl was fresher for me and way more fun than I anticipated. I can definitely see why some have made a good handful.

. . .

As of writing this, I just realized that I have essentially made Nidhiki and Krekka. I wasn’t even going to make a duo at first, Scrubs was a tablescrap, how did I. . .

Anyways, figured that if I was going to do a bug, might as well keep to the batgirl template with a few changes. Originally, Chlorine was going to be more humanoid with the axel legs springing out to give more height, but didn’t have time for that. Which, in theory, would have kept her closer to the batgirl design, but eh. Looks like smol “Primal,” has a Nidhiki dynamic, just how it works out sometimes.

But if you want some closer photos/break downs of Chlorine’s and Bumbleberry’s builds to compare with Mr.Monopoly’s template version, see dropdown below:

Torso Variations

Chlorine’s on first.

IMG_1303a
IMG_1304a
I don’t have a good answer as to why I did a quick custom build for the waist here. It probably would have been better to use the Vahki waist to avoid voodoo balls popping off.
IMG_1306a
IMG_1308a
Obviously, not angled like Mr.Monopoly’s design, much flatter. And the leg piece is upside down, mostly to alter the positioning on of Hordika necks. Speaking of which…
IMG_1309a
IMG_1311a
IMG_1313a
Yeah, those robot hand clips aren’t doing a whole lot. They are there to help with stability, but are only held in place by the liftarms. This entire construction puts a bit of strain on the 1x2 liftarms, and probably the other parts connected to it. Not exactly the best design, but wanted to do something different compared to what was done with Bumbleberry.

As you can see here…

Bumbleberry

Due to how dark some of the photos were in her topic, thought it would be good to go back and show some close ups. Like the two tires in her midriff, which are pretty much invisible in the other photos. They don’t limit her forward bending much more than she already was.

IMG_1316a
IMG_1315a
Though unlike Chlorine, I did make a quick custom waist due to it looking better with my armor pieces of choice. And while the robot hands, once again, are only there for stability and can’t hold on their own, the Hordika necks have a more stable and less stramineous connection. And now you can see the tires on them as well.

Oh, so fun thing about the trans-orange studs on her and Chlorine; they’re TLR’s eyes. His scope eye is also a trans-orange stud, so he’s watching them do things like it was a video game’s FPS camera angle. Scrubs also has a trans-orange piece in a similar place, but the bat twins do not.
IMG_1319a
IMG_1321a
A better showing of how this connects to the back. That empty space between the Hordika necks is where this plugs in. You can also now see how those shield pieces are place.
IMG_1322a
IMG_1324a
In case any were curious, here’s how I did the head. I wanted the ears to have a different color on the inside and options to add earrings, so the hockey skates seemed to be the best. I also didn’t like how separated the ears were from the head on the template version, so this alteration was to make the head closer. The blue Bohrok eyes there are to help keep the Rahkshi head from wobbling too much.

Though during an earlier version when I was following the template head design, I did use a yellow hand connector. The yellow part in there is very intentional for the eye color.
IMG_1326a
Also due to how dark the photos were, here’s what’s plugged into the back of her legs.
IMG_1327a
And this is how the little ones’ heads are built. Yes, they are held in by an axel in the Vahki waist, which can make their heads very floppy. Which is why the connector hands are pointed forward in perch mode, to hold that in place.

Also to make them look like giant punching gloves. Yeah, an earlier version of my batgirl(s) was that they were a combiner. Two would attach to the forearms to become large fists. Rhubarb and Mulberry are remnants of that attempt.

But otherwise, I believe that’s it. Please let me know what you think.

27 Likes

I like the head design! It looks like she’s wearing a hood!

3 Likes

The context of the bat moc makes more sense in retrospect now.

4 Likes

As always, you’ve proved that you don’t need to make a moc giant to make it interesting, dynamic, and unique. With such nice NPU and style, this might be one of my favorite one of your mocs yet!

5 Likes

Looks good. The color balance is a highlight!

4 Likes

This is very refreshing to see. I like the characters, I like the insect choice, and I like the color consistency, especially on Scrubs.

In general, Scrubs actually looks great. Really good color blocking, and I’m a big fan of the head design. It reminds me a lot of a shrimp head, which fits with the water theme here.

4 Likes

@DuneToa Thanks! I can kind of see the hood angle, but not exactly what I had in mind. Interesting way to see it regardless.

@N01InParticular Even if I don’t post it, if I built MOCs that year I made at least on bug or thing with bug features. And including yet to be posted MOCs I have…got to be around thirty or more bugs, depending on how you count. So that was certainly part of it, in addition to the September thing.

@Cordax Thanks! I think. Still need to work on remember to pose things rather than do the MOCing equivalent of a T-pose.

@Eddan960 Thanks!

@Krelikan Thanks! Figured Scrubs would end up being a favorite, given he’s so goofy.

5 Likes

these look great, clorine is probably my favourite!

3 Likes

love that you mange to capture the plated look of bugs with these mocs

4 Likes

Ah these two look pretty good. I like the color schemes and the builds and parts use are quite nice as well. Great job!

3 Likes