Christmas/Holiday Music that Doesn't Stink

Every time I hear “Jingle Bells,” I want to smack someone. In fact, that’s the case for most of the commonly-heard Christmas carols and songs. However, there’s still plenty of great Christmas music out there! For your consideration:

In the Bleak Midwinter
I Wonder as I Wander
I Saw Three Ships

Is there any non-annoying Christmas music you guys like? What about other holidays?

2 Likes

Like I said, We Three Kings.

Also, I do enjoy Bing Crosby’s version of White Christmas. It’s just so much in the yuletide feeling.

Any other version is annoying. Bing Crosby did it best.

(Plus, my school is doing a play on the film White Christmas, and I’m in it, so Iv’e gotten used to it. :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

His version is definitely the best. I’ve still heard it too many times, though. :frowning: But it doesn’t irritate me the way other versions do; I can even enjoy it quite a bit at times.

I have music I would love to post, but it’s religious so…don’t know if that’s okay.

(then again most Christmas music is religious)

The songs I posted were at least semi-religious. My thinking is that as long as we don’t discuss the lyrical content, it should be ok. Mods? Am I right?

Hm. Well, honestly, most holidays come from religious roots in the first place. This is a tough one, because I simply don’t know.

I think it may be safe, as long as you don’t go into religious discussion yourselves.

But I’m hoping the admins can correct me if I’m wrong.

2 Likes

Pssh, you’re fiiiiiiiiiine.

2 Likes

breathes sigh of relief

@Ekorak, looks like you can post away!

2 Likes

Rule of thumb: If a Christmas song is set in a minor key, it’s more dramatic and epic in nature, and worth learning to play on a distorted bass.

My list so far (learned)

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel
What Child is This
God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
(want to learn)
We Three Kings
Wizards of Winter

1 Like

This is one of my faves.

These are good too, but overplayed.

Trans-Siberian Orchestra FTW.

Let me think…

• O Holy Night
  • The Little Drummer Boy
  • Jingle Bells
    Jingle Bellls
    Jingle Bellls
    Jingle Bellls
    Jingle Bell Rock
1 Like

The orchestral version of Sleigh Ride is amazing. I can’t stand Little Drummer Boy for some reason. “Christmas Wrapping” by the Waitresses is a HUGE guilty pleasure for me. I don’t know why, but I will jam to that song in the middle of summer if I hear it. Also, the Trans-Siberian Orchestra has many great Christmas songs. “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” by the Barenaked Ladies is another great one.

I don’t know why we couldn’t mention religious stuff here, as long as it isn’t harmful or offensive in any way. Churches aren’t getting torn down just because they are visible to non-Christians as well.

1 Like

I like Trans-Siberian Orchestra’s version of “Carol of the Bells.” That’ll always be a classic. In fact, someone preformed it on electric guitar or something at a concert I went to one time for my church.

2 Likes

I think the main problem is the radio plays the same Christmas songs over and over. There are hundreds of Christmas songs that almost never get heard by most people.

Good King Weceslas by Irish Rovers is one of my favorites.

1 Like

Yup, exactly. That’s why I made this topic. :smiley:

I don’t totally know how much this song relates to Christmas, but it’s on a Christmas album and I like it so here.

1 Like

I’m going to have to go with one of the only xmas songs I know that doesn’t annoy me, and as a grinch almost as big as rise, that’s saying something,
Blue Christmas- Elvis
which may be partially because my uncle is an Elvis impersonator, or because it get’s played every year as we put up the tree, either way, I like it.

am I alone here?

5 Likes

I’m listening to the first time right now, and…
I approve. Probably not something I’d listen to all the time, but definitely good. This may come from the fact that I’ve been an Evlis fan for a long time, but it’s still nice to hear something new.
You are not alone.

2 Likes

reviving topics

CAUSE I CAN

3 Likes

You know what I said before about not liking overplayed Christmas songs?

There are a few exceptions.

One of which is Mannheim Steamroller. Anyone else?

3 Likes