Color Blocking and Elemental Color Schemes

That’s where toa of light come in.

4 Likes

That’s still kinda limiting, having to make every Toa whose colors or gender don’t conform a Toa of Light because they’re the only ones allowed to break from the mold. More interesting to just bend the rules, imo.

3 Likes

but the thing is that, if you want a canon-compliant character, the rules can’t be bent.

2 Likes

The point is to not care so much about making a canon-compliant character, for the sake of creativity, storyline, or (in my case) lack of parts.

5 Likes

Seconded what Winger said. I’ve never been the sort of person to strictly follow canon when making my own stuff; being “canon-compliant” to the letter just isn’t as much fun.

4 Likes

you two make me sad

2 Likes

Even the canon doesn’t care about the canon. There’s a male Toa of Psionics. There are no rules, only suggestions.

3 Likes

… which led to an explanation justifying the separation of Elements by gender, thereby proving that Elemental gender is not an arbitrary thing.

Again, Orde’s backstory proves without a doubt that there are rules; the Great Beings intentionally separated the Elements by gender due to “gentleness”.

I can see that quite a few people want to move away from gender-separated Elements, and I’m not going to try to stop you, but Orde’s case isn’t the best justification for it.

4 Likes

Ok, so I went that a little extreme.
But it does create a precedent that all it takes to mix up genders and keep it canonical is make up a somewhat reasonable sounding excuse and then everythings fair game.
And that is only if you think canon is important, but that is something everyone has got to decide for themselves so not worth discussing.

3 Likes

To be fair, that’s a counterpoint. I won’t want to make an excuse if I want to mix up canon gender.

3 Likes

So there is a lot of controversy about the elemental colors lately due to the contests. People talking about gold Kualus looking like a Toa of light and gold Gaaki looking like a Toa of psionics. Other elements and characters have been brought up too. I try to kinda clear things up about how i would say it works.

Theme 1: Hahli Mahri has got the colors of a Toa of plantlife.

That statement isnt really correct a Toa of plantlife is Green and blue. The main color is green. On Hahli lime is the secondary color.

Theme 2: Hahli Inika looks like a Toa of lightning.

Nothing wrong about that statement. But I will say it makes sense since she had electrically charged water which combined is basically lightning.

Theme 3: Other Elements

Gravity, sonics and magnetism have got a similar color scheme to earth.
So Gravity is purple and black. Once again purple is the main color. Onepu had it as a secondary one. (Masks and feet on tohunga are the secondary colors).
Sonics has grey and black. Same shenanigans grey main color and black secondary color.
On Magnetism its gunmetal which was never featured on an Onu-Character to begin with so skip that.

On all the ones I have already given examples on I mentioned secondary colors and primary ones. If a Toa has more of one color its the primary one.

Now onto the spark that set everything on fire again.

Theme 4: light and psionics.

So the Toa metru had a primary color and a secondary color. The grey socket pieces were the secondary color. That sparked one theory in my head: The socket pieces are the secondary color. It kinda makes sense if you look at it closely. So a Toa of psionics would have gold sockets

Something like that^. (It can be replace with keetorange in my eyes)
So gold armored Gaaki is totally fine. And for Toa of light its the same.

Thank you for reading and give your thoughts on this maybe. Bye.

3 Likes

The fact that some colours are primary and some are not in Elelmental color schemes does not prevent characters from swapping it: Pohatu Fantoka has secondary Stone pallette color as his primary, Hahli Mahri’s Lime Green still exceeds Water pallette, as well as her Inika version’s White. Hewkii Inika and Mahri both have Kettorangre as primary, while it’s secondary for Stone Characters. Also, Toa Mistika all had their Sockets in their primary colors, and most of the armor in Pearl Light Grey, so “Socket color=secondary color” is not true too.

I think it’s just a mess in Bionicle colors. There is no physic or juridical law in Bionicle that prevents from overlapping colors. So both Gold-armored Gaaki and Kualus are fine for canon, at least I see it that way.

4 Likes

I kinda meant the metru builds but bringing that up:
The Adaptive armors cover the limbs and under it the actually main color is hidden.

Idk about them. But i think you could say that its just weird set design its maybe just a different variation of secondaries?

I already gave my thoughts on inika. Mahri could be used as adding lime to the water palette maybe? But yeah thats weird

1 Like

Minor little quibble: I don’t know if I would call it a “secondary” color when it’s literally half his parts (discounting the gray head).
But yeah, that’s a decent point. This is why I support gold Gaaki.

2 Likes

Jallers secondary is yellow he got the same parts in yellow that onepu got in purple. Kongus is teal same as before. Hewkii secondary: burnt orange and so on.

Yes?
The same thing applies to all the McToran except Nuparu – they have an even split of two colors.

2 Likes

I think generally, for the mctoran, they’re main color is whatever their mask color is. So Onepu is purple, Jaller is yellow, Tamaru is lime green, etc…

2 Likes

Yeah but on Ta matoran the color yellow is secondary and that counts for others aswell. But yeah it all is weird

Yeah it could be like that. But it is just that i always saw it that way I said. But everyone has an own good opinion on what they want.

And on masks: they can be changed when the matoran wants to. I dont count masks as really an important part of the color schemes. Jaller originally had a red mask.

Also if the mask is the main color whats Ahkmous main color? Is it black? But that color is restricted to only one piece.

For me, wanting Gaaki to be gold comes down to three reasons:

1. I think the anti-gold Gaaki camp is way too ridiculous and over-exaggerated. I saw people trying to make it a rule that Gaaki and Kualus shouldn’t be gold, even!
  2. I think Mettur blue and flat gold is a good color scheme.
  3. If neither Gaaki nor Kualus can be gold, then the only way to achieve a 3-3 balance is if both Pouks and Bomonga have gold. And FDG+Mettur Brown doesn’t work, in my opinion. (now if we have a 2-2-2 split with gunmetal, this isn’t an issue. But I still want Gaaki to be gold, for the other reasons)

Now, I don’t feel as strongly about gold Kualus. But I would prefer gold Kualus over silver in most cases, seeing as white+silver is very flat. However, if an entry makes Kualus white/blue +silver, that’s fine. white+gunmetal also works

The problem is that gold sockets don’t exist, so chances are few entries for Varian are going to have gold as an internal color like this. (Some people will inevitably paint pieces, but most won’t)

Not true, there was… uh… Nuparu’s drill! Yeah, that was gunmetal.
/s

Gali Mistika’s primary colour must be silver, then.

2 Likes

That was grey even

But in the toy perspective she is silver

Yeah, but painting on Varian is inevitable anyways because azure is her masks color. And maybe more parts will be azure. But yeah I would like to see it as an internal colour rather than an external one.