Could Bionicle return as an adult theme

While I agree that any “adult” Bionicle sets need to be a step above the GWP, I don’t think that necessarily has to mean Technic. Just look at all the “adult” sets that Lego is making now: they all focus on detail, and I think that’s what an “adult” Bionicle theme needs, more than any specific building system.

I think it really depends what you want to get out of a UCS-style Bionicle set. If you want detailed inner workings/biomechanical layering, then System is the way to go; if you just want a large, visually impressive design (hopefully still with good shaping, of course), then Technic would be better.

In all honesty, the best results would probably come from a fusion. For example, my Technic Bomonga (and, heck, a lot of my other regular-sized builds, too) still uses a fair amount of System to fill gaps and create details, and making a similar model with Lego’s current design philosophy would require replacing all the G1 Bionicle bits with (hopefully) further additional System, as Technic can’t really replicate all those little greebles.

5 Likes

That Bomonga is absolutely stunning and is exactly how I envision a possible return of Bionicle as a UCS theme. I can totally see Lego selling something like it at $500 for 4500 pieces, considering that they need “only” a specialized mold for the mask. Obviously, if something like this ever happens, they’d start with the Toa Mata and specifically with Tahu.
I suppose that if the Bionicle head Idea gets produced (as much as I preferred the GSR, I think this has more chances to make it, due to It being a cheaper set and something in line with the Star Wars helmets collection) and sells well, then maybe something like Bomonga could happen (or perhaps a Mask collection).

3 Likes

TBH, I have mixed feelings about the whole Bionicle UCS line idea.

For one, I’d like a theme akin to the 2010 Stars, where the most famous or recognizable G1 characters receive ultra-detailed large models with some modifications, ala’ Ninjago: Legacy sets.

Then again, seeing the recent price increase at Lego has made me both concerned and uncertain about the hypothetical existence of a similar line.

Not to mention that the high price tags may discourage many potential buyers, especially since these would be unfamiliar to most people outside the Bonkle fandom.

A mask collection like what D-E_GOISIS has suggested might be a better option, but IDK.

I’d still opt for a “regular” constraction line that aims at a slightly older demographic than the recent action themes and would consist of sets like the GWP Tahu & Takua or the Zurg figure from last year’s Lightyear movie line.

(The “Cannister” sets could be similar to Zurg or Z-Blob from Dreamzzz, while the small/villager characters could be similar to the GWP Tahu.)

3 Likes

I was thinking of doing that, but using constraction with the System parts. Many of the “gappy” portions of constraction builds can be filled in with System parts, adding an organic appearance without sacrificing the poseability of the figure.

3 Likes

I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree on some things but there are also things i agree upon.

There’s something about technic that works with Bionicle and its aesthetic. Maybe its because technic looks robotic and is generally more durable than a brick build.

What i mean by durability is, if you drop a system build down a staircase it explodes into a million bricks vs a technic set which stays together and at worst had a ball joint pop out.

This is assuming play is involved and if we’re talking about adult only display sets i guess its a non-issue.

Adult builds in system work. I agree. I bought Lego Titanic and its awesome.

If you ask me, system, even really complex adult builds, work best for vehicles, buildings, statues, etc. the closest it comes to looking good as a figure are mech suits.

Technic lends itself so much better to action figures and action figure sized vehicle. I think this is largely because the pieces are bigger in general.

I agree if we got a system build Bionicle it would have to be better than the GWP. The GWP is good for what it set out to do and that’s be a fun callback. But objectively its a bad Bionicle when compared to any set from G1 or G2. This i feel like is because the backbone is system.

I do like your idea of a fusion between system / technic. I think it would work for adults if its technic as the backbone and main aesthetic with system to fill in the gaps. Something like the Tarakava but better executed.

Can you link your MOC to me? I’d love to see it.

4 Likes

That’s a good point that I hadn’t really considered; all those other “adult” sets are mostly static display pieces, whereas a hypothetical UCS-like Bionicle set would hopefully still have good (if not better than the original sets) poseability (even if it gets used as a display piece). And for that, I think you’re correct that it would need to have more Technic than most other adult-targeted Lego sets (still with System details, of course).

4 Likes