Custom Masks

I thought so. I yet wasn’t sure.

And here we have a Fallout Akaku and a Dark Mask of Creation.

Seriously, these are cool.

3 Likes

Hah, I was looking to get into painting masks, and someone pointed me to your tumblr. Any tips for someone trying to paint details on masks?

Whenever I paint details, I try to just get the general blobby shape I want until I’ve built up a nice solid layer of whatever color I’m working with, then I go back over with my base color and define the shape. It’s much easier to get sharp points and edges that way!

3 Likes

Simply stunning.

Very nice work! I like them.

I’m always amazed when people make custom masks!
These are awesome!
One question though, how on Earth did you paint the really small details on the mask of Creation? If I even tried to attempt that, I feel that I would go blind!

Just a tiny paintbrush and a steady hand.

3 Likes

These are EPIC

Incredible.
I am going to do stuff like this now.

This stuff is great! fantastic work!

Amazing.

Love the dark mask of creation, with the light runes.

What paint do you use? @MrCod

Also you should take the Blue MoC and paint the ruins gold like in the Journey to One.

Have you tried Gundam Paint markers? I’ve never used them, but @Joe says they’re good

They’re not as good as brushes, but are much easier to use and are still very effective.

Brushes, however, will typically yield better results if the painter is experienced.

Right now I’m using Citadel paints, though I may transition to Vallejo at some point in the future. Unfortunately because I spray prime my masks before I paint them, I would have to mask off everything but the runes to keep the rest of the mask transparent, and I don’t think it would be worth the effort at that point.

I actually have a couple tutorials up on my tumblr already! Right now I have drybrushing, rust/corrosion, and eyepieces/gems. I’ll have to get back to making those once I finish my current round of orders.

Nope, I didn’t even know paint markers were a thing! Looks cool for quick jobs, but they don’t seem to be as versatile as brushes.

1 Like

That protector mask looks amazing!