Custom Technic functions topic

Hi all, this is just a topic where you can discuss and share custom Technic functions that you have made or seen, if you want help with making a Technic contraption or small function you can ask here.

16 Likes

Not sure if this is the category for this topic…

1 Like

I felt the same way

3 Likes

About time to bring some life into here.

The best technic function I’ve seen is this amazing Kahu build by @Tributron

Well, it would be more fair to say functions since this thing is jam-packed with them. IMO the best part is how he made the walk and the wing expanding combo into each other so you can use them individually or both at the same time. This man is a certified legend, take the time to look into his other stuff as well.

Also of note is the work of @Avaru, whose functions are simpler (only by comparison, they’re by no means simple) but they’re also well integrated without fail. Out of him, my favourite function has to be the turning action of Marono. His other creations are definitely worth checking out too.

5 Likes

Here is another of my works, a self-walking fully articulated Bionicle with modular weapons. Not only that but it operates with only one motor.

Video:

11 Likes

I don’t care what anyone says, this is canon.

Idk, for the most part they’re just copy-pasted functions from the Toa Mata, the only time I’ve actually been creative with functions is the dark hunter series.
While we’re on the subject of functions, I might as well showcase the next step in my plan to revamp everything, with my Voyatoran and Mahritoran revamps. So here we have Defilak and a perfectly normal Po-Matoran who definitely isn’t a great being in disguise.

5 Likes

you used a 2015 gearbox but incorporated different gears to it, now that is clever. I must admit that i never realized the gears can interlock in that configuration, though im uncertain of the stability.

Though on the topic of simple functions i have done a few as well, but are far and few in-between. For example my kapura moc

Throwing 1

Given how many functions Lego and people alike have done in the past i try to make new ones that go outside of the realm of arm swinging/punching, kicking, and throwing. so they always tend to be a bit more complex :sweat_smile: i think the closet thing i have done in terms of simplicity that’s new is my Skull Blaster MOC

which is able to shoot his stud launchers by twisting a gear in his back while retaining full articulation

5 Likes

If I’d known this were possible, I would have done it for my Kongu revamp. Mind if I steal this?

2 Likes

go ahead, happy building and play well.

Ill probably make a how-to in the future for those who might want to build it

2 Likes

Would I be correct in saying you used universal joints for the shoulders and elbows, and some extra “arms” to hold the actual arms in place?

9 Likes

you would be correct @Avaru though i would recommend for the sake of stability you use larger CCBS bones and have them connect to the shoulder, if replicated irl the arms might flop down to the sides due to lack of shoulder support.

2 Likes

Looks pretty sick, the way the CCBS look like magazines.

3 Likes

That disk-throwing function is absolutely perfect. This is the first Tohunga revamp I’ve seen that still keeps the functionality. The fact that is is poseable is just awesome.

Although I wonder: could the arm be attached “backwards”, so that the pivot is in the shoulder, rather than the wrist, like the original? Or would it not work as well?

This functionality is brilliant.

3 Likes

I have made larger matoran builds that have the throwing function originating from the shoulder. However, when compressed into a smaller frame like a matoran is supposed to, the design tends to require a voodoo ball without a stopper. but if you upscale the matoran ever so slightly to allow for a solid shoulder, you would then have to cram either rubber bands or pressure tubes into the torso to get the throwing function to work. But if i did the throwing arm as seen here in my Matoran build but reverse so that it could pivot at the shoulder i lose arm articulation automatically.

Yet there might be a way for me to devise something to allow for the arm to be articulated without it affecting the function. Im glad you like my mocs, i have plenty more where they came from over on my channel.

1 Like

That is a seriously brilliant idea :star_struck:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

loving this topic so far, i unfortunately have nothing to share but definitely will be following.

1 Like

i made only one gear function but it can only be shown in video

1 Like