DC Universe: The New Age of Heroes (Signup and Discussion Topic)

Here’s hoping that this character is good for this.
And yes Answer is a huge Question fanatic. He does not personally know the hero, nor have they met in the past. The Question was only
the biggest inspiration for him becoming a hero and his identity as a hero, even if “Reckless Vigilante” might fit the bill better. :stuck_out_tongue:

Name: John Locke
Alias: Answer
Species: Human
Alignment: Self-proclaimed Hero
Power: The Answer: This ability forces Locke into a vision whenever he asks a question. In that vision he sees the answer to his question, albeit the answer isn’t clear. The visions often appear as a flash of images, each image a clue of the answer to his question. From this images he can usually piece together the answer to his question. Sometimes the visions are very clear and sometimes they are very abstract. One thing is consistent, every time his power activates his eyes glow white.

Alright so… this is a rather interesting power, basically how this will work OOC. Each vision would require input from myself and the party who was asked. Essentially to make this work I would need to come to an agreement with the party asked on the contents of the vision. Once that agreement is made then I can write the vision based the requirements of the agreement. This may seem to be more work than it’s worth but I’m writing this now so that you know that when this power is used, if you are that party involved you get a direct say in what goes in that vision. These visions don’t need to be clear answers, they can be clues to the answer, so there is a lot of flexibility here.
Equipment: Answer carries on his person two pistols and five extra magazines of ammunition on the back of his belt. He drives around in a plain grey sedan with the custom license plate “ɹǝʍsuɐ”. He is often see taking notes in a small spiral bound memo book, here he writes any clues he comes across in his hero work.
Abilities: Answer is trained in hand to hand combat as well as proficient use of his firearms.
Appearance: Answer is dressed in a black overcoat, with a white dress shirt and black ties. He wears black shoes and black dress pants, along with a plain black belt. Underneath the overcoat, answer has a shoulder holster with his two pistols. He wears thin white gloves made of a durable material that keep him from spreading his fingerprints. His face is covered in a white mask that hides his facial details.

John Locke himself has grey eyes and black hair. He is roughly six feet tall and has a decently built body. He has bags under his eyes from the sleepless nights he spends on his cases.
Bio: Detective Locke, John Locke, discharged for misconduct during a police interrogation. The ex-detective saw no real reason to continue, his fears were becoming true. Every night was filled with terrors, he would always wake in a cold sweat. He kept one thing to keep himself going. He always admired the hero, Question, for his brilliant detective work and cutthroat tactics.

The cynical self-proclaimed detective went on and studied Question’s tactics finding them to be quite suitable for his own goals. His night terrors only grew worse and worse, until one night.

There was nothing, only darkness, no matter where he looked there was only void. In a bright flash millions of images swarmed the extent of his vision, flooding his pupils with so much information. What each of those images meant? He had no answer, but he saw something beyond the images, a figure. Locke was unsure of what the being was, even less sure of who it was, but the longer he stared at it the greater his eyes burned. He tried closing his eyes but his eyelids did not work. He tried covering his eyes with his hands, but they did not move. The pain became greater until he could no longer bear it, at that moment there was a blinding flash and along with it a cold sensation.

His vision came to him and as he looked down he noticed that a light was being emitted from his face. The ex-detective took to his mirror and immediately noticed what had changed. His eyes where glowing white in the darkness. He spoke aloud, “What… happened to me?”

As if to answer his question the detective found himself in the void, but this time he saw himself. He watched as his eyes were filled with countless images, and saw that being… who ever it was. He came to, lying on his floor. What was that? It was the only question that flooded his mind, but after gazing in the mirror a second time he noticed his eyes were back to their grey selves.

Locke spent two weeks in his apartment, testing the event. Every time he asked a question he would find himself in the void, the darkness, and the images would flash in front of him. At some point he remembered the images and realized one thing. The images were clues to an end, to the answers of his questions. This was his theory.

Locke spent the next two days testing his theory, he would speak aloud a question, starting off with very simple ones. For example; where is the sink? The vision would occur and show him images of his apartment door then the direction of the kitchen from the door. These visions did indeed provide him with answers. They were a means to an end. His experiments continued until the ex-detective felt that he could reliably count on his newfound power.

He could finally use it to bring justice to his forsaken city. Locke knew it would be dangerous if the villains could know his identity or even if the authorities knew it, there was only one path. Locke took inspiration from his hero, Question. He found a black overcoat in a local store and bought it. Luckily, Locke kept his two firearms and his shoulder holster. Locke took a white dress shirt and put it on, along with black dress pants and a plain black belt. He put on a white mask that covered his entire face. He knotted a black tie and tightened it. On the back of his belt he attached several extra loaded magazines. His ensemble was complete once he put on thin white gloves that would keep him from spreading his fingerprints. His costume was ready.

He would become a hero to save the city, but he needed a name… his power brought hims answers… Answer, that is his alias. Locke bought a grey sedan and removed the plates, replacing them with his own custom plates that read “ɹǝʍsuɐ” Shortly after that Answer took to the streets.

2 Likes

Classic. Approved :stuck_out_tongue:

I did wonder if the Question similarity was intentional :stuck_out_tongue:
Approved. I’m curious though, given his whole vibe, would you imagine him operating in Southside?

Since you just approved Answer, I had a Question regarding him.

What’s stopping him from asking himself the secret identity of any individual? It sounds like he can give himself any info he needs to know whenever he wants it, although not always specific.

For instance, if he asked the question “Who is Bruce Wayne” what answer would he get? Or is that up to the GM?

Assuming that Bruce Wayne is played by the GM, I would have to discuss with the GM what the contents of the vision would be. The vision could entirely abstract to the point where the clues or images would not make sense, or perhaps Answer as a person would refuse to believe them. So while Answer’s power would technically work, it doesn’t guarantee that Answer would understand it or even accept it.

There was a great scene with Lex Luthor where he learned that Clark Kent was Superman, however Lex refused to believe that, because it contradicted his own beliefs of powerful people. I can see Answer refusing to believe a few things here and there as they would contradict with his own beliefs.

@TheMightyObsidianDude Southside sounds good to me.

2 Likes

Cool, just lets me know some stuff I can set up in the first post is all :stuck_out_tongue:

Ontop of what Flux said, yeah, considering that the visions given would be a joint collaboration between both people involved, I feel like most of the OPness can be balanced out by the other party not wanting to make themselves too potentially vulnerable.

2 Likes

Name: Sydney Matthews

Alias: Celsius

Alignment: Hero

Bio: Sydney Matthews was born alongside her sister, Mavis, in Fawcett City, Minnesota - the stomping ground of Captain Marvel. Being surrounded by merchandise and those who told his tales, Syd had wanted to become a hero ever since she was young. Syd also found a passion for music, involving herself in various musical activities in high school and college. She eventually found a job at WHIZ, after getting the job, however, tragedy struck when her sister died in a snowstorm. Sydney survived, and her metagene was activated. Vowing to protect the citizens of Fawcett City, where she couldn’t save Mavis. Syd became a hero, under the name Celsius. Becoming a relatively well known hero in Fawcett City, Syd decided to make the pilgrimage to Metropolis, setting up shop as both a crimefighter, and the DJ at WGBS-FM.

Powers/Abilities/Equipment: Cryokinesis, Hydrokinesis, can manipulate water, and it’s tempurature. When using powers, her body acts accordingly, becoming resistant to cold tempuratures. Of note, is that when she uses her powers, her ginger hair turns blue, and her skin develops a thin lair of frost.

Appearance:
Civilian Wear

Celsius

5 Likes

Glad to see you could finally make it man. Very nice, approved :stuck_out_tongue:

Name: Katelyn Brown
Alias: N/A
Alignment: Does StandFaster count?

Bio: Kate has always been an avid truth-seeker. As a child she always had her nose in some newspaper or another, and it was to no one’s surprise when she took over the school paper in high school. After working her way through a journalism degree, she now writes for The Lancer, the Planet’s less famous rival, alongside her friend Lauren (profile to come). She is notorious for her StandFaster views, ready to call out the masks - or really any figure of authority - at a moment’s notice.

Powers/Abilities/Equipment: While Kate has a bit of self-defense training, for the most part she relies on thinking fast and talking faster. She carries an audio recorder and a pen and notepad on her at all times, as well as a can of mace (or whatever equivalent exists when you have to worry about super-powered thugs, no doubt made by LexCorp :stuck_out_tongue:)

Appearance: Kate has a tendency to blend into a crowd, much to her chagrin, with her average height, pale skin, brown eyes, and brown hair worn in a short bob. Her outfits trend towards simple and functional, usually without any jewelry or makeup.

3 Likes

Approved

1 Like

Well it’s been a while since the last character profile was submitted, and I’m anxious to get things started. But I’m also bored, so I thought up another profile.

Name: X’yrgyn L’yxxykdo
Alias(es): Miles, Bodyman
Species: Remains of The Charred (Martian)
Alignment: Moral Good
Bio: Long ago, the Guardians of the Universe divided The Burning into the Green and White Martians to prevent possible galactic war, and also developed a weakness to fire to prevent their full destructive potential/asexual reproduction. The leftovers of that process? The Charred, of which there were only five, and all of them died except for one - X’yrgyn L’yxxykdo.
Due to the genetic scrambling, X’yrgyn’s powers were dramatically altered, crippling the incredible speed and warping his shapeshifting ability to only operate on the states that matter can enter, allowing him to become liquid or gas in an instant. Using these newfound abilities, X’yrgyn abandoned Mars and traveled space for several thousands of years while compiling as much info as he could gather from ongoing events. Eventually, commotion from Earth brought him back into the solar system and directed his attention on Metropolis.
He received the name Miles after he crashed into a barn on his arrival on earth, and as he escaped in gas form he heard a worried mother cry out the name Miles multiple times.
Powers/Abilities/Equipment: Like other martians, Bodyman is particularly weak to fire. Unlike other martians, however, he does not possess incredible speed and reaction time. Durability on-par with the likes of Martian Manhunter, but significantly slower. He is also capable of multilingual comprehension and communication, although due to his peculiar physical construction he is a bit of a slow speaker.
Bodyman is only capable of shapeshifting into different states of matter, of which there are five.
Solid: That’s his normal state.
Liquid: With a consistency of melted gallium, Bodyman can jump out of his liquid form, emerging as a solid from the previous state. It is impossible for him to move as a liquid.
Gas: Bodyman can fly while in gas form, and is impervious to physical harm. However, he is very susceptible to strong winds while in this state, and if inhaled will be confined to an individual’s lungs until they exhale and allow him to take up the same amount of space in order to revert to a solid state.
Plasma: Bodyman’s physical form ignites with an ominous glow, and becomes hot enough to melt most anything around it, cutting through concrete like butter and melting steel in seconds of direct contact. However, Bodyman has to be careful what he makes contact with, as being insanely hot means weaker surfaces he stands on may give way beneath him, and even moreso than his martian brethren he possesses an innate fear of fire, which means be careful what you ignite.
Bose-Einstein condensate: This one’s complicated. Taking half an hour to complete, Bodyman lowers his body temperature to almost absolute zero, resulting in his atoms halting their individual motion. When this occurs, light particles entering his body slow down incredibly, making him look like the void of space with a million stars spread across.
Any kinetic energy input into Bodyman in this state adds to his potential energy, meaning Bodyman can strike with more force the more he is struck. Theoretically, if he was ale to withstand enough striking force, he could shatter buildings with ease.
Getting too close to fire will scare him back into a solid state, and if a path of escape seems impossible he is likely to curl into a ball and wait for the sweet release of death. Some encounters with fire in the past have given him levels of ptsd and have worsened any potential contact with it in the future. Even BEC is not immune to the shock of an open flame, and will instantly snap him out of it.
Other info: Bodyman does not need to breathe while in liquid/gas state, however he does need oxygen to survive in any other state. The information he has gathered over his existence has made him aware of the current state of Mars, the existence of the multiple Lantern Corps., the existence of J’onn J’onzz, and the existence and subsequent destruction of Krypton.
Appearance: In his normal form, Bodyman stands at 7’11", with large hands and very long fingers. His shoulders arch backwards, and his arms are the length of his body, which is bowed outward with a rib-like pattern running down the front. His face has no visible mouth or nose, but instead has an exposed throat, which is covered by two human-like hands under the chin, and they move in order to form words. His legs are somewhat short and his feet have two larger toes and a thumb appendage, and can grasp objects. His entire body possesses a very emaciated appearance.

Yeah, I understand if this guy’s a bit out there. If there’s anything specific I need to change let me know, but if most of the profile’s not gonna fly then I’ll probably just drop him.

1 Like

Well, honestly I’ve never really been a fan of the whole “the Burning” thing with the inbuilt fear/weakness of fire for all Martians, I generally went for that being more of a psychological thing on J’onn’s part. And… since that kind of breaks the whole core of this character, that’s probably a dealbreaker, sorry.

I am waiting on a particular profile, which is what the delay is about. In the meantime though, I remember @TheCobaltCorsair expressing interest in making a character. Just thought I’d chase that up to double check :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I’ve been rather busy recently, and I completely forgot about making my entry. I’ll see if I can write out a good backstory (that’s really all I need to do to finish my character).

1 Like

That’s perfectly fine, feel free to if you want, just thought I’d ask since we’re gonna be starting soon (hopefully) :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Well, I never thought a DC Roleplay will be a thing on TTV Message Boards. Are we allowed to RPC Canon Characters from DC or must we make Original Characters?

I think Obsid’s reserving the right to play staple names for plot purposes.

1 Like

Hmmm, a shame. I’m quite good with Fandom Characters. I would have went for Doctor Fate, but oh well.

Well considering how OP Doctor Fate is, it’s probably for the best to have only OCs for players.

…And on that note, the RP still isn’t out yet so I’m porting over another character. Out of protest, of course.

Name: Iosif Zolotov
Alias(es): Dusha Bomba
Species: Genetically Modified Human
Alignment: Neutral
Bio: Iosif Zolotov was all but a test tube baby in the hands of the Russian government. They were looking to develop their own metahuman capable of defeating the U.S’ coastal defenders. After several attempts which begun immediately after the death of Superman failed (some at the cost of valuable scientists), Iosif survived past the fifteen-month life expectancy point.
Undergoing extensive shock therapy made Iosif rather resilient to electricity, and his body adapted to the torture, allowing him to store enough electricity in his body to glow. It was then that they discovered the “Dusha Bomba” - Soul Bomb. Counter measures were taken to prevent him from ever gaining enough electricity to escape.
At the age of 12, Iosif took advantage of a major electrical fire to escape his captivity and slip onto a cargo boat headed for the U.S. Now in Metropolis, Iosif Zolotov tends to take on the name Max. The concept of last names is still confusing to him; he was only ever referred to by his full name or by a number. But as long as he can lie low, and maybe dig around for some food, he’ll make it.
Powers/Abilities/Equipment: Iosif can store large amounts of electricity in his body, which he cannot discharge. This electricity can be used to double his speed for a short time, or ignite the “Dusha Bomba”, a state he can enter which turns him into a walking atomic explosion. Glowing white hot, he can easily cut through any material with a melting point, but it severely inhibits all of his senses except sight and leaving the state usually forces him unconscious. Iosif is also extremely resilient to electricity, but given his nervous survivor personality he’s not extremely tactical nor brave. If he can run, he will run.
Iosif is more fluent in English than Russian, due to his handlers being determined to make it as hard for him to understand what they said to each other. However he still possesses a thick Russian accent.
Appearance: Iosif wears a special skintight suit and undergarments designed to resist his soul bomb, which he likes to cover with an adult-sized puffy coat. He nearly never wears shoes or socks, and sometimes wears a black beanie to hide his identifiable shock of white hair running through the rest of his blonde hair. He has wire-like scars across his body, with hexagon-shaped metal ports attached to his limbs used to store electricity, and can accept electricity from any kind of exposed wire.

I spent way too much time trying to figure out how Superman’s death failed at the cost of valuable scientists, this is the power of the embedded clause people :stuck_out_tongue:

Other than that, I’m good with this. Approved.

I’m trying ok ;-;

1 Like

I’m starting to think that I won’t be able to create an entry. I still my try, but I have some things coming up that will keep me busy for a while.

3 Likes

Not a problem. If and when you can post, just feel free, no pressure :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like