Disney and Pixar's Luca (2021)

So this is a thing.

Discuss.

4 Likes

This one looks like one of the least interesting Pixar movies. Pixar is know for their crazy unique ideas, but this movie seems to have a fairly generic premise.
On top of that, I can’t say I am a fan of the particular animation style used here.

2 Likes

Ngl, that actually looks kind of interesting to me. Of course, I love the idea of Atlantians and Merfolk, so I am probably biased, but I honestly might watch it

2 Likes

Don’t really have any thought on it yet. It looks fine, I guess.

I’ll most likely see it whenever it comes to on demand.

1 Like

The art style’s pretty neat.

A lot of people seem to be commenting on the art style, but to me it looks pretty similar to the common CGI in animated movies like Frozen, Moana, and Coco.

1 Like

These characters look like the grubhub characters but finalized
Their mouths and expressions seem like steven universe animation it’s just so unnerving to look at them doing anything

Honestly I like the basic concept; two maybe sibling kids are trying to goof off in the world of humans without revealing the fact they are in fact actually fish people whose guide breaks down the moment they touch water, but I don’t really trust disney all that much with a unique concept these days and I wholeheartedly expect them to forcefully insert some kind of message here

please for the love of mike just give me a nice well written film about lighthearted fun without pushing some stupid crap and I’ll be happy please bob disney ceo of the world and my soul it’s all I ask

6 Likes

I’m hoping that this Teaser turns out somewhat like the Frozen one, where it doesn’t show that much. As for the art style, yeah I can see why people are conflicted. It’s almost like they took the usual Pixar style, and made it Pixar style.

2 Likes

I do not like the faces at all, but appreciate that they’re experimenting with something different, so I won’t let myself be too annoyed. As long as it’s not the new norm.

1 Like

Lol.

Yeah nothing stood out to me on this.

3 Likes

I can see how people would think that the trailer was generic, but I’m honestly pretty open-minded about this. I mean, a lot of people thought Coco was gonna be some dumb knockoff of The Book Of Life, but it actually ended up being pretty good.

1 Like

My sister said that the art style looks like Shawn the sheep

2 Likes

There’s definitely a bit of an Aardman vibe, but I find it more reminiscent of Flushed Away, especially with the mouths being always visible and front-facing.

2 Likes

I forgot this movie even existed, and now I hate you for digging up my repressed memories of it. /s

1 Like

I saw the new trailer for Luca just now. And honestly…eh. I know what I said before about being open-minded, but frankly, this looks like just another animated movie. Last year’s Pixar movies, Onward and Soul, both felt really original, but Luca looks like just the same old fish-out-of-water story we’ve seen in a million other places. We’ve got two merfolk boys going on land because…well, I don’t know why. And they’re trying to fit in with the regular humans because…they’re curious about the human world? But if the humans have such a phobia of the merfolk, then why are the merfolk trying to live with them? Did their home get destroyed, or something?

Hopefully we’ll get more answers as time goes on.

1 Like

Honestly it looks like a movie an art school student would make lol.

4 Likes

Meh. Seems like the kinda movie that’ll just exist; nothing special or anything just exist.

2 Likes

Yeah, I expect that it’ll fall into the same boat as Onward

A wholesome and well-made film, but not all that special or memorable in the long run.

1 Like

Honestly I think they’ve reached the point that their normal, happy, uplifting movies just don’t leave much of an impact anymore. You remember it maybe during the day you watched it but it’s just not very memorable; overexposure you know?

1 Like

Bombing worse than any other Disney film in history? That’s a pretty poor boat.

Sadly though, I think you’re right. Luca’s gonna be forgotten a month after release; nothing new or innovative is being done here. This isn’t the next Kung Fu Panda or UP; it’s not an artistic masterpiece which pushes the boundaries of animated film and the unique design decisions are extremely poor, reflecting the exact design decisions readily despised by the market they’re appealing to.

For a movie with a good chunk of its run time likely taking place in the water, it sure looks to be shallow.

5 Likes