Disney and Pixar's Luca (2021)

It did that poorly? Huh.

I enjoyed it.

3 Likes

Call me a snob, but I decided to not watch Onward because I found their “twist” on a fantastical world uninspired and, dare I say it, almost insulting just from the trailer alone. Not surprised the movie bombed.

Luca seems to be having the same problem. sigh

2 Likes

I just watched the trailer, and, well… first off, I personally think the animation style is sub-par by Pixar’s standards. Also, it just doesn’t look like it will be anything special; just another animated movie that will end up being forgotten after a year or so (if it even takes that long).

Yeah, that describes the style pretty well…

2 Likes

Or in other words the no risk art style. Completely corporate and looks like everything else.

2 Likes

The most recent genuinely good Pixar movie I saw was Inside Out. That was a seriously clever and underrated movie.

I will disclaimer that I am yet to see Soul.

2 Likes

Soul was basically the same. It was fun and had its moments but it’s just an unmemorable feel good story. Not good or bad but just there.

2 Likes

Soul was genuinely good IMO. Beautifully animated, and has a very strong message about life. I would personally recommend watching that one.

3 Likes

I don’t think that’s entirely fair. Onward opened right around the time the pandemic started and movie theaters started to close down. It would’ve bombed no matter how good (or bad) it was.

2 Likes

Alright, just finished watching it, so let’s see if I can gather my thoughts. Put simply, I really liked it. I came into this with low expectations, and was pleasantly surprised to like it so much. It was a pretty light movie, that was an easy viewing experience. Most of the characters I found to be likable at least enough for me to care, and themes that were comparable to my childhood. By the end, I was left in a good mood. Strangely calm, and relaxed. All this aside, there are flaws.

It uses some basic tropes on several characters, such as overprotective parents, which are always frustrating to watch. And stuck up antagonists who just get on your nerves. There was also the typical “friend argument” which split up main characters briefly. These things did cause the story to be more predictable, but it is something you’ll find in many movies.

So, good movie, easy to watch, and a far different style than A Quiet Place Part 2, (also a good movie.) which watched not two hours prior. I have a feeling this lifted my opinion on Luca overall.

3 Likes

Oh, good. A movie that sticks to just being a simple movie and nothing else.

Like, sure Luca could’ve been much more, but it also could’ve been a heck of a lot worse. Just glad that’s all we got.

5 Likes

Haven’t seen it but sounds like I was right; it exists. Nothing special it just exists.

1 Like

That contains a pretty negative connotation though, and having just watched it, I don’t think that’s fair. I went in with pretty low expectations, and while it was nowhere near as good as other Pixar movies, I still found it a net positive experience, although the climax was pretty cheesy.

4 Likes

Watched it after my comment and Honestly the entire plot was pretty predictable. Character unhappy, gets happy until something bad happens becuase someone doesn’t understand, throw in some obvious villain that will eventually fail in the heartwarming ending lesson in which all sides are happy…

Not bad by any means but not that good either. Just the standard happy feeling movie.

1 Like

That’s … y’know, basically every Disney movie? Not sure what else you were expecting - a kid’s movie isn’t exactly going to be the paragon of grittiness and deeper meaning.

2 Likes

Pixar’s previous movie, Soul, would like to have a word with you…

3 Likes

Honestly it wasn’t even all that memorable for that sole reason. Something like coco , inside out, or Raya is similar but they are memorable and rewatchable while luca is kinda forgotten within the day. Again not bad but just a Disney feel good movie. I recently rewatched soul and As stated it was different enough from the formula to be memorable.

3 Likes

Excuse me WHAT

Coco is the definition of memorable.

3 Likes

eh, Coco was good, but I didn’t love it. I thought it was pretty predictable tbh.

1 Like

Who?

extra character

2 Likes

Watched the movie.

I thought it was rather forgettable.

They do nothing interesting with the idea of fish people itself. It falls into a 1-dimensional hatred of sea monsters and humans being afraid of them for… little reason?

I agree with Khalsa as well, I predicted every plot beat that was about to happen.

The highest praise I can give this movie is for that punk kid, the antagonist of the movie. I enjoyed hating that guy, and his comeuppance felt nice.

6 Likes