Disney and Pixar's Luca (2021)

Yeah Pixar’s pretty good at punishing their villains even if the movie is just kinda nothing special.

2 Likes

I just watched the movie with my family. I enjoyed it, as I expected, but it wasn’t too too special. It had some really good parts, but overall the movie was just…fine.

I think the biggest issue was the ending. Everything got resolved way to quickly and easily imo.

2 Likes

Welcome to the wonder that is the Disney movie…

2 Likes

VESPA

1 Like

So I’ve gone and watched this movie about 5 times now. I think it’s safe to say that I personally loved it! Yes, it’s a simple and predictable story but I think that simplicity works in it’s favor.

There’s that underlying theme of accepting differences and I feel it’s applied well in multiple ways. Being sea monsters is the obvious one, but it also extends to disabilities like Massimo only having one arm, or Giulia coming from a split home. Giulia’s family situation resonated with me the most since I also come from a family situation where my parents live in two different places. Her line about being the weird outsider in Porto Rosso because she’s only there when she visits her dad hit me like a brick because that was/is my exact same situation when I go and visit my dad.

I also think that the best part of keeping the themes simple yet vague is that so many people can go and interpret the movie how they want it to be. Whether it’s remembering your fun days of childhood and growing up, or its a queer coming of age story, both reads can work.

The premise and concept of Luca intrigued me when I first heard about it. I’ve always been a sucker for stories set around watery areas and plots where transformation sequences occur (blame Transformers for that one, lol) and that’s what I came to see how they did that. What I stayed for was the heartfelt, cute story and message that in the end I think even helped me learn a bit about myself (sounds uber cheesy but it’s true).

I’d even go so far to say that it’s my favorite Pixar movie, beating out Inside Out, The Incredibles, and Finding Nemo. I really hope this gets either a sequel movie or a sequel show because I’d love to see more of this world that was crafted.

4 Likes