Dreamspace - Signups and OOC

The exact year is intentionally ambiguous, but it’s probably somewhere between the range of 2100 and 2200.

As far as resistance to MENDAX’s power, no more than would be reasonable. It’s not like it’s a militia or a nation - it’s just a huge corporation that produces a drug that has had unprecedented impact on society. It’s not likely that there’d be a concerted resistance effort, but there could definitely be more pacifist groups that are against it. Maybe journalistic, activist, or anarchist groups? Whatever makes sense to you - there just wouldn’t be like, a military insurrection, or anything.

7 Likes

Youy’r’e not my father

To go off of what Winger said, the cracked, street-level, dangerous iteration of the SNOVA pill is what most characters likely ended up taking, which as specified in the original is either so potent that no dreamers thus far have chosen to awaken, or - the more ominous possibility - none of them have the option to.

All of this to say, your character doesn’t know for certain if they’re dreaming or awake - if the world around them is real or a fantasy - and if their dreams and nightmares manifesting is simply a concoction of a dreary mind, or reality itself twisting their inner thoughts into physical form.

More clues as to what exactly happened when you took the pill will be revealed over the course of the story, but expect changing environments, wacky shenanigans, and ominous storytelling.
and also stupid jokes

6 Likes

Don’t buy me a shotgun

But then how can we interact with the other characters?

So it’s more like an object/power/trait that the character wants?

2 Likes

You don’t know.

This sums it up pretty nicely. All your character knows is that something has gone very wrong.

Yep. So Ghid’s character, Batsil, wished for infinite youth.

6 Likes

This is going to be a hot mess, I can fix whatever needs fixing

Name : Miles Perry
Info : Age: 27 Height: 6’ Gender: Male
Appearance : Miles normally is a man of average height with dark hair, pale skin, and green eyes. Now he has an octopus head in place of his own. Miles was wearing a black suit and a purple tie when he took SNOVA.
Dream : Miles gets the power he needs to prove MENDAX’s corruption beyond a shadow of a doubt. He can make part or all of his body and whatever he’s touching completely intangible for six seconds at a time. Miles can also change the appearance of himself and whatever he touches for as long as he wants. Neither ability can change something larger than another person.
Nightmare : Miles’ dream ends after MENDAX as a single corporation is completely dispersed and exposed for what it is. He then ends up tortured and murdered by agents of the still very active, even if it was weakened. After “waking up”, Miles remembers his violent death in excruciating detail and is aware that if and when he uses his powers to finally bring down MENDAX his dreams will fail and he’ll end up dead in the end. Miles trying to deal with what he knows can result in his powers involuntarily activating whenever his life is threatened or if he thinks about the end of his life too intently.

Backstory : In his time as a lawyer, Miles has tried and failed to expose MENDAX for what they were in court. No matter what evidence he found, it was either convincingly disproven or the resulting charges were easily sidestepped by the company. One night after a particularly infuriating trial, Miles was trying to cope with his failures in a bar where he was slipped the cracked version of SNOVA. He blacked out, and when he came to after his dream he was still on the floor of the empty bar, reeling from what he just experienced.
Personality : Miles has a very one-track mind about a lot of things. Once his mind is made up about something, it’s difficult to get him to change it without hard proof that his ideas are wrong. This leads to Miles often judging people on his first impression of them, and he doesn’t have many close friends because of it. Still, he has a strong sense of justice and tries not to let his prejudices cloud his judgement too much.
Vices : Miles is usually more likely to save himself over someone else if things get tough. He’s a coward and he hates himself for it.

4 Likes

Pretty neat character-

I guess we’re both doing name jokes then.

5 Likes

R

houston we have a problem

OIP

We’re not winning any lifetime comedy awards it seems

So here’s the dealio

While Winger may have more specific gripes or completely disagree with me, I personally feel that’s a character which, while great for someone thrust from the free, normal world pinned under MENDAX’s theoretical thumb, it also feels like a weak trade to give him both the powers of invisible woman and his only hitch is that he gets anxiety sometimes.

However because I am such a mega brain genius I have thought about a more equal trade and slightly curbed power, but I’ll run my ideas by Winger first before saying anything more. And this is for all players: Be aware that your appearance in signups maaaaay not be perfectly reflected in the rp, i.e. we may choose to define your nightmares a little further.

Otherwise, this character passes the litmus test. I’m on limited availability currently, but I’ll try my best to be back soonish to hear how much WInger hates my idea.

Oh joy.

4 Likes

Ohyeahuh I’m also going to have limited availability, probably until tonight/this late afternoon for most of you.

4 Likes

Stop copying me

I mean yes my scribe, become more like Ghid

2 Likes

Oh okie that makes a lot more sense to me now thanks!

4 Likes

Are you mad

because we can work with mad

8 Likes

w8 wot

6 Likes

I call dibs on carrying them around in a bottle.

6 Likes

Alright, I should probably actually address what’s presented here to some degree. Definitely an extreme concept, but hardly impossible.

Unfortunately, I think the story would be taken way out of its zone if living fish food and deviantart vore accounts are manifested as the worst nightmares of a goldfish. However, being a literal goldfish has its significant downsides, so I imagine there won’t be as much of a pressing need for a crippling nightmare, just… Don’t expect many of these to actually show up in-story.

Note, for you and everyone else: If Winger greenlights this in any capacity it’s a one-time occurrence and we expect everyone else to be actually sane. I know Ajtazt isn’t going to try pulling some stupid maneuver or derail the plot because he plays a floating goldfish with some big thoughts, so tentatively I pass the buck to Winger as well as the responsibility of critically analyzing it, good luck boss.

also who is grinding up illegal street meds and giving them to fish
i want names

@Diero I’ve consulted with Winger and have a proposition for you:

We’ll let you keep your power with the alteration of having it be a chameleon effect and not invisibility, as well as severely limiting the amount of extra material Miles can cloak besides himself. A maximum of one normally-sized adult, I’d think.

In return, how would you like to become cthulhu? No size difference, just the great dreamer’s noggin in place of your own. Might be a little more reasonable to be jarred by that than paranoia of death, or it might make said paranoia a heck of a lot worse. Idk

6 Likes

the goldfish was making me consider joining the rp actually

1 Like

ajtazt.

I trust you.

Some parts of this RP are going to be like a fever dream - Malaco will fit right in. Other parts … are not. Additionally, being a goldfish has … certain limitations.

But all that aside, there needs to be a major disclaimer: this RP is going to be heavily character based and driven, and that might be slightly difficult for you. We can do our best to make it work, though.

If you’re good with this, then I am too. It might take a minute to introduce your character, though, the way the RP will start.

@Winger

wait

6 Likes

Do it.

We’ve got name jokes.

2 Likes

AHEMHEM

5 Likes

I am more than fine with what you and Winger have in mind for my character, but I still have a couple questions. Does being a great old one mean Miles can breathe underwater, and would he only be able to change himself with the chameleon ability?

1 Like