Dreamspace - Signups and OOC

Alrighty, so in terms of balance, I don’t there’s any huge problems, other than the at-will lightning.

There are only two issues: the first, main one is that we’re a little worried about steamrolling the party. You’re going to be faster, stronger, and tougher than likely any other character, and this, coupled with your character’s moral code, could mean you could literally do anything you wanted and the party would be powerless to stop it. Our proposed solution to this is for instead of Taimon being a human with a cybernetic shell, being a human turned mostly cyborg. That way, Callahan can balance you out.

The other issue is something I just mentioned: Taimon’s moral code. It has the potential to be a real “it’s what me character would do” blanket. So here’s the pitch: you need to know that your actions are going to have consequences. Tasteful, story-building wanton violence is OK, but don’t derail the other characters and stuff.

So if you’re good with those two changes (cyborg instead of shell, some sort of modification to the lightning), then you’re good to go.

7 Likes

Winger this is what I already said you could’ve paraphrased

2 Likes

but I need the credit

5 Likes

Ok fair

2 Likes

Unique appearance, eh?

Well, from what I have already, amber eyes are pretty rare to begin with; only about 5% of the population has that color. (I didn’t choose that color for its rarity, because I didn’t know it was rare until I looked it up after I chose it). That might not make much difference, depending on what your art style looks like…

Also: I initially made the character 6’5". I changed it just before submission, because… I forget why. So clearly it wasn’t an important reason. So I can make her 6’5", if that helps.

What about red hair, to contrast with the darker-haired AC? I did just pick brown hair only because that’s my go-to when it comes to female hair colors, so I’d totally be fire with changing it to something more unique.

2 Likes

A number of responses:

1. Would an acceptable counterbalance be a large stamina drain/“time limit” on it? Essentially being able to fire a salvo of bolts or a larger burst and then being unable to fire anything for a while due to heavy exhaustion.

2. Bearing in mind the nature of N01’s power as an interface rather than flat out control, yes.

3. I have played enough TTRPGs to encounter “it’s what my character would do” and I have no intention of trying to assassinate the party if they insult my very high-quality blonde hair dye. My intention with Taimon is to introduce a more combative element to the game/party and potential character conflict, not create a TPK.

I’m here to roleplay and blow up things, and I can’t roleplay if everyone is dead.

1. Concerning Ghid’s comment/concern about the Nightmare, a few things:
  • Followers aren’t actually much stronger than an average human; their ability to cut Eve’s armor stems from them being a constructed body around a metal point. They use the metal point to cut the armor and the rest of the body to dodge around and deliver strikes. Otherwise they’re just as strong and fast as whatever material they made a body from, which is up to your discretion.

• You are free to put whatever limit on them spawning that you wish, I personally didn’t imagine more than one or two appearing at once. Considering they need a sizable piece of armor to spawn from (hand sized or so), any of them appearing would probably be the secondary threat to whatever Nightmare was strong enough to punch said armor off.

If you have further worries/concerns I would be happy to hear and discuss them.

1 Like

Wait does that mean that @Kirathel character and my character could communicate via telepathy?

2 Likes

No. Kirathel’s character is not a machine - they’re part machine.

4 Likes

K just wanted to make sure.

2 Likes

Depending on how she uses her technopathy there might be something.

I meant more along the lines of “one of the cast members is cthulhu”. One character who will likely be approved soonish is either mostly or entirely robotic, another is a bat-human hybrid, yet another is a literal fish…

hoo boy

We out here shootin hoops from across the court I see

The issue here isn’t that we suspect you’ll murderize the party for breathing wrong, but that you could absolutely crush any and all resistance to whatever whims you have. What is normal man with an octopus for a head supposed to do if you say “do this”? Refuse?

Plus, the inclusion of then along came zeus puts the rest of the party at a significant disadvantage when it comes to nightmarish threats. Capable of being a challenge for the rest of the party? Will likely be instantly cooked by Eve. A challenge for Eve? Then the rest of the party can’t do anything to it.

Sorry, but at least on my part I can’t take your word for it that you won’t go around using your capabilities to its theoretical fullest. We’ll see what Winger has to say, but I personally don’t think this is the right RP for a superhero to appear in.

I’m going to recycle my original dream proposition with some more specific tailoring as well as including a nightmare which I hope will suffice with the original concept.

Bear in mind this was not run by Winger before this post.

Eve Taimon’s dream abilities turned her into a mechanical woman, robot or cyborg, it’s not certain how much of her is still human outside of her likely dyed blonde hair. What matters, though, is she’s now markedly tougher than the average person, having greater strength and durability than the average person while also capable of generating a large amount of electricity which she can release from her body through physical contact, in whatever amount she desires - from the tiniest static shock to completely exhausting her internal supply and discharging enough power to knock someone unconscious, but dumping her full reserve drains her literal energy, and she will remain incapable of much for a while, barely being able to walk. She can also use her internal supply as a battery for some other device as long as she doesn’t exhaust her supply too quickly.

However, this comes with a caveat attached: The less Eve sees the surrounding world as human or real, the more dependent her powers are as she is confident in the world being at her whim and not the other way around. However, the more conflicted her worldview grows, the less control she has over herself, her mechanical body compensating by lashing out with raw emotion in moments of weakness - not necessarily anger, but empathy, joy, grief, irritation, boredom, whatever the situation has at the time - and which, if occurring during combat, could result in her devastating attacks temporarily frying herself rather than the target. The more confident her opinion, whether passionate or uncaring, the more sure her power; doubt and conflict cause emotional outbursts and potentially devastating self-harm in combat.

4 Likes

ooooooooohhhh… I get what you’re saying now.

I’m not sure how far I should go with that, I don’t want to offset the current balance between dream/nightmare, but howabout this: her hair is fire.
Like, not actually burning. It just looks like it is. Like, it looks like she has fire for hair, but it won’t burn you if you touch it.
I mean you did it before with Mr. Monopoly.

2 Likes

In all fairness his entire head was a glowing sphere

I would say this is fine, but I imagine fire hair is going to be more problematic than normal hair. To not clog the rest of the chat with back-and-forth ideas, I’ll send you a PM and we can discuss there.

EDIT: I have PMed you and added a crime against humanity as well.

3 Likes
Revised Revised character sheet

Name: ??? (“Sue”)
Info : Female, 5’7’’, 18-ish YO
Appearance : Post-dream, she has a giant eyeball for a head, a single amber eye. No hair. Wears short-cut blue jeans, and a black leather biker jacket.

Dream : sight(?)

Nightmare : near-total amnesia, she has very vague memories of her past life before taking the pill.

Backstory : Sue has no idea who she was before taking the cracked SnOvA. The only things she is sure of is that she definitely took the pill, and that before she took it, she was blind. Aside from that, her life has been reduced to mere snippets, a voice that she can almost remember, a term or date that was important but she isn’t sure why.

Personality : She quickly adopts a very outgoing, brash personality, who has NO idea how to interact with people. By that, I don’t mean the quiet, shy, never talks to people stereotype – that might be better. No, she’s not afraid to say what she wants to say and has little understanding of what’s appropriate or acceptable for for social interaction.

Vices : sometimes a casual jerk, occasionally does or says mean things. She’s a nice enough person to regret it afterward, but it’s a compulsion, like an instinct that she hasn’t figured out how to turn down. She lacks independence, and tends to follow along with what others around her are doing.

4 Likes

huh wazzat, I was thinking of a mermail
snail mermaid
interpret that how you will

anyway, “Sue” passes the gerboise bleue test and it’s up to Winger to give the final edits a once-over.

3 Likes

How long till this starts? just wondering because I am starting to write up a character
And what happens if your dream contradicts with your nightmare and vice veras?

4 Likes

As soon as you’re about to post your signup we’ll begin.

We won’t start up till we know your character signup has been posted, and we’ll probably wait til it’s approved as well, don’t worry.

3 Likes

Thanks it should take 5ish days

5 Likes

The nightmare is an interesting idea. I’ll do some more balancing and tag both you and winger later.

2 Likes

wot

That’s what we here at Egomania Inc call “Nightmare Fuel”.

Approved, if you’re good with this character. Future changes can be made as you like, I’d say.

Once we know for sure whether or not you’ll actually join, we’ll either start or wait for you to get your character done, and then start.

Your dream can contradict your nightmare, but in that situation, it’d take a little GM tinkering to make it work.

6 Likes