Dwellers in Darkness (Bionicle Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2)

Hi all, here’s my entry for the art portion of the Hagah contest, hope you like it :slight_smile:

So, for this I did change some things:

1. Metallic colors - I understand this might be an unpopular choice with some due to excessive part painting, but I’m gonna be honest, the 1/1/1/1/1/1 color split looks awesome. It really makes each member stand out against one another and even if parts have to be painted… Weren’t they going to be with masks anyway?
  2. Gaaki’s mask - The original MOC creator wishes for it to be changed, so I did so. This mask is a design by Perpetual and was used for an entry, and a turnaround for it can be found below. It’s very nice.

Additionally, here’s isolated artwork of the 6 Toa:

Hope you guys like it! If there’s any feedback to give, more than feel free to, I may change some things before the deadline!

Also hope I’m doing this all right, I’m new here and this is my first entry to a contest, haha

48 Likes

I love the general cartoon vibe.

1 Like

Cute art style. I think Pouks is missing the fins from his chest armor, I do like that you gave him and Kualus their original colors.

5 Likes

Your cartoony art style makes even a drastic metallic color split look good.:+1:

2 Likes

Extremely hasty fix for Bomonga’s spear tip, which I realized seconds after posting was the wrong tip. My bad for not noticing the ref I was using was incorrect :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Oh, this is lovely. It’s a charming art style, and it makes the color split look very vivid and unique.

3 Likes

Gotta agree with you their, these look fantastic! Great job

2 Likes

Simple, but really well executed. I’m a fan

1 Like

I like the cartoony style as well. Nice job on Pouks :ok_hand:

4 Likes

Before anything, thank you all so much for the warm feedback, I wasn’t sure if my Monkie Kid/Mixels inspired art style would fare well with the other fantastic and detailed entries that probably make a bit more sense in the context of Bionicle, but the kind words have been great to hear :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’ve made a couple of changes (mostly fixing up tiny errors I’ve noticed, but more notably reverting Pouks’ spear tip given that the original fits the design better) since entering and I’ve decided I’m going to change Gaaki’s mask as I only now saw that the creator would prefer it to be changed, but before doing so I’d rather ask what folk would like to see in a mask change. Personally I was thinking of using Perpetual’s mask design, but I’d love to hear some input before deciding

4 Likes

I prefer Perp’s mask but I’m open to other designs. Good luck :+1:

5 Likes

I love the art style and how no two toa use the same metallic colors.

It’s gives a nice unified but still different look.

1 Like

Oh yeah, this mask is dope. Definitely will keep it.

6 Likes

I’m not sure about the green armor for Bomonga. But, other than that, this is a really good entry.

1 Like

Why you give Bomonga, green art that is not a official Lego metal/pearl color?

you’re right – it’s four colors.

9 Likes

Appreciated nonetheless! I choose metallic green because I thought the idea of metal green representing moss atop armor (fitting an earth Toa) was really cool, so even if it’s not your thing, which I totally get, I hope the reasoning comes through a little :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Wait chrome green? Didn’t know that was a thing, still prefer metallic green though