Lackluster in artistic skills, but with a grandiose vision, I present my Toa Hagah group artwork. I don’t expect to win - in fact, I don’t expect to get any votes. But I’m submitting this to make a statement - that pink Pouks is what we need! (And who knows, maybe I can ride the meme potential of pink Pouks + bad art to the finalists’ circle.)
I really like the story of the Hagah. They hail from a time when Shadow was an honorable power to wield. They witnessed the angels fall firsthand. On top of that, they’re incredibly powerful Toa, guards to the big man himself, Teridax. I believe that, culturally, being vibrantly-colored would be admirable or intimidating to the Matoran, since so many beings are so varied in color, including Toa and Rahkshi. This team attempts to exemplify that standard I’ve conceived.
Here are some design notes.
- Everyone maintains their
masksand spear tips from their respective physical models. I’ve changed Gaaki’s mask to a Mask of AdaptationGalva’s new Mask of Clairvoyance because Galva dislikes the original Mask of Clairvoyance they designed, and does not want it canonized.
- Everything is vaguely stylized, and I tried to incorporate themes of details coming in six or three.
- The grip on Bomonga’s shield is the color of the Rhotuka launcher, to imply that he has one on it (unlike the MOC).
- The official metallic colors are, from left to right - Chrome Pink, Copper, Flat Silver, Flat Dark Gold, Metal Blue, and Metallic Green.
- I consider the color justification to be thus: Iruini, Norik, and Gaaki form the “medallion” colors - gold, silver, and bronze, while Pouks, Bomonga, and Kualus form the “rgb” colors - red (pink), green, and blue. This bakes a 3-3-3 split into the 6-way color split.
- All of the colors on the figures (except the pure black for the lineart and pinholes) are pulled from the Stud.io code.
- Norik and Iruini are in front because they were actually released.
- Iruini is detailed the best because I actually own that set and had him as a model. The rest are freehand.
- I started on a paper, took a picture of it, traced it, colored it, moved them around, and made the background, in that order.
- They’re in one of Makuta’s lairs. It’s styled after the Mangaia entrance from MNOG. I like to imagine they’re leaving after being given their new armor, masks, and weapons.
- I like to put balance in my drawings, so the colored smoke in the background is in reverse order (i.e. Pouks is on the left but his colored smoke plume is on the right)
- The text is a reference to the 2003 titan box art, which also had floating text in the background. I had a version of this on the titan box art background, but I didn’t like it that much.
EDIT: Made some tweaks. Gaaki’s mask has been changed, a circle on her pauldron has been changed from black to blue, and Bomonga has been moved slightly.
Another EDIT: Changed Gaaki’s mask again.
Last EDIT: re-posed Bomonga. Winners’ circle, here I come!
Good luck to all who have entered, and let’s rally for pink Pouks!