Everything We Know About Bionicle 2015: Part One
We’ve reached a bit of a lull period, so I’m going to type out what we know about Bionicle 2015 very quickly. We got a lot of information, from the new location to the reboot clarification to a hint directed at the Kanohi Vahi (the Mask of Time).
All this information came from official Lego sources, Lego employees and people directly overseeing the franchise. They were all very gracious and very enthusiastic about the line. This is only what we have as of 4pm EST. We will make a new article if any new things are released come the VIP Event tonight.
(Note: 2001-2010 is nicknamed by us as the Mataverse, we’re also calling the new line the Nuvaverse. Not official names, just for better references).
- It’s a reboot, but a soft reboot
- The story revolves around two Maskmakers, Ekimu and Makuta, who wear the Mask of Creation and the Mask of Control, respectively. Makuta decided to create the Mask of Ultimate Power, a Mask that controlled all of the elements, but in doing so cast him and his brother into a deep slumber.
- Okoto is a new island that is reminiscent of Mata Nui but has mountain barriers that separate the element locations.
- The “Protectors” are the main villagers of Okoto. However, the set Protectors are the elders of the villiage.
- There are no Matoran or Turaga on Okoto.
- The original Toa awaken without any memory and have forgotten that they are heroes.
- The reboot was compared to the “Star Trek movies” reboot, where there is a connection to the old universe.
- There is a Temple of Time on Okoto.
- There are hints that the original Kanohi Vahi from the Mataverse is only half a mask. More hints were also given towards it being involved with time travel. It could possibly leave the original universe open to continuation and the other half being formed in the Nuvaverse.
- Specialized terms have been dropped. Certain things have been dropped, certain things have been retained (such as Toa).
- Bionicle will have several minute long animations that will be released on the website. They are 2D flash animations that were significantly inspired and based on the Mata Nui Online Game. They also bear a slight similarity to the Mixel animations.
- The story will mostly be told in books in the later half of 2015. They are currently looking at writers (emphasis on the plural) for it. Comics/other media were not mentioned.
- Masks are connected from the sides of the head. The new heads also have faces and noses. The masks are firmly attached but can be knocked off.
- Sets are all made with alternate “modes” for the weapons. The designers called this “Adrenaline Mode”.
- It is planned for a three-year storyline, but that’s general Lego planning. There’s a good possibility that it might continue beyond that, but information isn’t freely given out.
Here’s what we theorize (gleaned from these answers, not official in the slightest):
- Time Trap was also mentioned when discussing the Kanohi Vahi. There is probably some link between the Temple of Time and the second half of the Kanohi Vahi…possibly. Also Krakua?
- There are no Kanohi powers mentioned in the bios, and the video mentions that Masks can only hold one element (and that the Mask of Ultimate Control was made to control them all). We think that means that Kanohi powers are not in the Nuvaverse and that the Toa use them to “master” their element.
- We mentioned Mata Nui; we were given an acknowledgement but no further information on him in the Nuvaverse.
- When asked about the Kanohi, we were told that there is something that the Golden Masks give the Toa that they need in order to win. That was the extent of it.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://ttvpodcast.com/post/99589549937/