Firelight storytelling in Ko-Koro

On a dark night, Ko-Matoran and visiting Kohli players gather around the warmth of a fire along the cliffs of Mt. Ihu to listen to Turaga Nuju tell ancient tales and legends. Matoro, the sage’s translator gestures and speaks alongside the Turaga bringing his birdspeak to the common tongue.

30 Likes

The scene is so beautiful! Looks really cosy and has the feel of Bionicle. Very nice.

4 Likes

Very cozy looking.

3 Likes

I can’t tell if this is animated or a photo, but it looks completely amazing!

2 Likes

Yes it is a photo, taken on some snowy rocks in my backyard actually. I shot it with my DSLR using a long exposure in RAW shooting mode. The “firelight” is my cellphone inside a zip lock bag that is buried in the snow right in front of Nuju. The original photo looked like this before I used Photoshop to skew the white light from my phone to an orange fire like effect.

I took a few other shots, but all of them were out of focus like this. The lead image that I edited was the only one that managed to be in focus, but I was glad because I thought it was one of the more atmospheric scenes from the whole photo roll and successfully managed to capture the “firelight story” scene I had in my mind going in. Anyways, here are some of the rejected shots from the shoot:

Also worth noting, all the 2003 Matoran (excluding the two that came in the larger sets Takua and Jaller) were there… except Hafu. I own Hafu, but he has a crack in his torso and I figured it would be best to leave him inside instead of fumbling in the dark with a damaged figure. Maybe once I get that torso piece replaced I owe it to Hafu to make sure he gets his chance at “a Hafu original?”

6 Likes

Wow, that’s really neat. I love Lego photography, and this looks really great. Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

This so good!

1 Like