G3 Civil War Set Concepts Overview

Brickonicle Civil War Set Concepts

So @Sokoda recently did his “Finale” showcasing his amazing art on his minifig prints and recreating some iconic scenes from G1 with his G3 designs. Now I had intended to release these sets off as I finished designing them however I am moving off to university soon (Excitement and even later nights!), however I would have limited internet as a result and so I decided to amass my designs into one big release, although each will have it’s own individual topic showcasing the individual set.

So why am I doing set concepts for a wave that won’t be explored for ages? Simple really, the Stealth Gukko concept. From there I got rolling with new ideas and I kept on wanting to concept them in set form and now I have 6 set concepts for the wave.

There will be a segment at the bottom explaining some ideas I would like to see in civil war sets if TTV doesn’t like these designs, so Please read the bottom, thank you.

The Mangai Stronghold Defense

Piece count: 1642 (including ammo, no masks)
Region: Mangai
Position: Defensive
Also please ignore the red swords, it’s not blood or anything.

The largest of the set designs, based on a knight’s castle set, this would be the main set of the wave. Whilst not the central Mangaian fortress (I might do that for fun), this outpost stronghold is vital in the war. Now features 2 Knight Zephyr warriors from Kanae, looking to raid the stronghold before the main armies reach it, being the confident Kanae ninja that they are, they can breach the walls, but will they escape unnoticed?

The Ihuan Gate

Piece count: 1114 pieces (including ammo, no masks)
Region: Ihu

A small patrol gate on the border of Ihu, this gate is patrolled by a few guard, a captain of the guard and has a traveller escaping from the rushing enemies. This was the second concept designed and has the renders completed and so should be up almost immediately after this post. Also not a main Ihuan (or is it Ihuian?) fortress but rather an outpost stronghold.

The Naho Bridge

Piece count: 691 pieces (including ammo, no masks)
Region: Naho

The set was based off the idea that the Naho use wood and other similar materials, however their bridges and roads are mainly stone, with wood planks on the bridges for easy repair as constantly replacing the stone paving stones was seen as an annoying task as the idea of shipping stones on wooden boats literally sank the spirits of some Nahoans. As this is a larger set, there is some conflict, there are 3 Motarans attempting to cross the now unstable bridge.

Ihuan Attack Force

Piece count: 586 pieces (including ammo, no masks)
Region: Ihu
Position: Offensive

The wolf you see was inspired by a Lego Ideas submission for Avatar the Last Airbender and Avatar: The Legend of Korra, I have modified it but credit where credit is due. This is the first attack force and the first offensive Rahi, to be named as of yet, what I liked to do with the Rahi was add in those little levers to look like pistons on the joints.

Motaran Attack Force

Piece count: 509 pieces (including ammo, no masks)
Region: Motara
Position: Offensive

The Rhino you see here was inspired by the Lego Black Panther Mine fight set, the body and legs are completely custom, work in a few Bionicle pieces and also was the basis for the Mammoth. The Mahi was prototyped by @Sanokal but I added my own touches, also check him out, I’m sure he has a design on the way for something cool. This was meant to look like they trekked to reach their battle so they carry some supplies as well as weaponry, their armor and weapons are darker as I like the idea that Motara has darker metals to forge with, I’ll explore this in it’s own topic.

The Kanae Stealth Gukko

Piece count: 431 pieces (including ammo, no masks)
Region: Kanae
Position: Stealth/Offenseive

I have a ton of lore and ideas for this one and I think it’s the one I’ve fleshed out the most in my mind, hopefully I’ll be able to get all the ideas down in it’s own topic. This is a modified version of the original Gukko, done so I can be part of a lineage, designed to be bigger and have larger wings.

Additional stuff

- Wolf Sentries

Civil War Set Ideas

• No set will have characters from 2 regions in it, this way, fans would by one set and that set could then potentially have a play fight with any other set and I think that would enhance the playability of the sets massively. If a fan isn’t into the lore, who’s fighting who doesn’t matter and they could have fights with their friends.

Ok a couple of people didn’t like this idea so maybe this is not used for larger sets such as literally half of mine… Eh fair points though, I’m cool with not using the idea.

• Sets Should have a few warriors in them. So mine have a ton of Matoran in them, this was mostly because based on their piece counts, at that point an extra warrior or two wouldn’t have impacted the price as much and very few sets have “Hero” characters.

• A Rahi if part of a mid-large set should have original Bionicle pieces, small sets don’t have to to keep piece counts low.

• If a set is not a building it should be a Rahi based set/Battle pack. This way there is still value and a more equal popularity between building type sets and Rahi/Battle Pack sets. I kinda prefer the Rahi tho…

If anyone has anymore suggestions, I’m open to hear them, the next sets will be release in their own topics over then next day (I need sleep). As always comments and criticisms are welcome and I hope you enjoy this little send off present. :smiley:

Stealth Gukko
Ihuan Gate
Motara Attack Force
Ihu Attack Force
The Mangai Stronghold
The Naho Bridge

~Kardax (or Unpixelled)

42 Likes

Really cool Sets! I especially Love the Ihu outpost.
One thing I don’t agree with is only using one faction/tribe per set. Gotta get that conflict in a box^^. But thats just my opinion.
The Rahi are really cool as well

4 Likes

This seems like a really poor design to me. If a kid can only afford one set than he has no one for the warriors in the set to fight. For instance, in the Mangai Stronghold Defense, who are they defending against? I get that it means that they will need to buy to sets, but sometimes people may not afford that and therefore get a set from another theme that include some conflict. Said from this, these are all great! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s the idea: Battle packs.

Small $10 to $15 sets that kids could buy, having 3-4 minifigs, perhaps a single small Rahi or Vehicles, the sets that I’ve designed are the bigger sets of the wave. My idea is to have a plentiful number of battle packs and then these “titan” sets.

1 Like

I see what you mean, but there is something about buying a set and playing with it without having to get anything else.

1 Like

I just think the idea of being able to remove which region is sided with each other gives better playability, it removes the idea of sides completely. Plus the little battle packs are pretty cool.

1 Like

I definitely would suggest having more than one team, I agree with @TheMOCingbird on this one. The playability is much less if there is no conflict. Battle packs I can understand, but take me for example. I care about story, but I don’t have $100 to buy two $50 sets just so I can have a conflict. It makes it feel like a set is incomplete.

3 Likes

True, but assume that there maybe be sets at a lower cost than my designs. I’m all for the conflict (no duh, look at the freaking title) but I want to maximise the conflict by breaking it down into “My colour is better than your colour” essentially. It’s fine if you disagree that’s what the concepts are for anyway.

Edit: Ok @ToaNoah_Wafflemeister @TheMOCingbird how about a compromise, the larger sets have a mix, the battle packs and mid-sized sets are single regioned? I think that works.

2 Likes

Yes, I think that that could work. The battle packs usually ae one sided and I think that the Stealth Gukko, Motorman Attack Force, and Ihuan Attack Force could work with only have one side.

1 Like

Alrighty then, I won’t be redesigning sets but I’ll keep that in mind for the future, or maybe add in a couple of enemy Matoran to each. I dunno, something, I may not have time to do any major improvements, I’m sure you guys will be able to fill in some gaps :slight_smile:

1 Like

All of these set concepts are cool looking.

I am however just waiting until someone makes a concept for a “Brotherhood of Makuta fortress” set.

1 Like

These are all pretty cool, and I’ll go more in-depth on the separate pages.

As for the outlining as a whole, I definitely think that the Star Wars model is the one to look at if you understand my meaning, particularly when we could add a small Rahi/vehicle to the out-of-focus faction for added conflict. Conflict within a box is always fantastic, particularly when pulled off well.

Battle packs with a small vehicle and a Rahi in addition to the four Matoran would be a treat I think.

1 Like

Ugh, you’ve given me ideas, welp I’ll do it in a couple of months probably.

1 Like

These all look pretty cool, but especially the Ihuan Gate.

The only problem is that i think if these were to be sets you would have only one large castle set, with smaller sets being devoted to war machines or other small skirmishes.

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the Brotherhood is more of a secret and small organization. It probably wouldn’t have the funds to make a whole fortress for them.

Maybe during the Civil War they could use the chaos to gain more money and power, building an outpost in some remote location?

1 Like

These are all soooooo good. Especially the Ihu outpost, that thing is amazing

1 Like

Makuta=back so maybe. Isn’t Norik’s home a fortress or Something?

1 Like

Maybe I’ll do one just for sake of concept.

I love the Motaran Attack force concept though the number of minifigures is a little impractical. The Rahi look amazing.

I think the Ihuan Gate and Nahu Bridge look a little too classic castle-like where as the Mangai Stronghold Defense feels like it’s its own thing.

Keep up the great work Kardax.

2 Likes

YOU SPELLED MY NAME RIGHT, the Ihuan gate to me feels right but the Naho bridge I’m still iffy on, it was rushed a little.

1 Like