General Literature Discussion

I liked the Heir To the Empire trilogy a good deal, as well as Specter of the Past (still need to read Vision of the Future). I should look into some of his non-Star Wars work.

<3

This is one of those cases where the book is so much better than the movie you wonder why they even bothered. :stuck_out_tongue: I still need to read the sequels/spinoffs.

A few of them. Redwall was my favorite book in 3rd grade, and since then, Iā€™ve read Mossflower and parts of Martin the Warrior and Mattimeo (didnā€™t read them all the way through because Iā€™d already seen the cartoon version). I need to catch up on the rest one of these days.

Any fans of the classics? Dickens, Austen, Dostoyevsky, etc.? Or, on another note, how about Harry Potter? Canā€™t believe no oneā€™s mentioned that yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Dickens and Austen have possibly some of my favorite classic literature.

1 Like

Iā€™m not a bookworm, I think I didnā€™t read more than five novels last year. Iā€™ve been meaning to read Pratchettā€™s Discworld saga and get in to comics like Blacksad. Redwall has crossed my mind, too, but I hardly know anything about it. Mind pitching it to me, @Artakha ?

A couple months back I got around reading The Labyrinth of Dreaming Books, the latest book from my favourite author, Walter Moers sorry, I mean Hildegunst von Mythenmetz. It was a disappointment: pretty much nothing happened and ended on a cliffhanger with little suspense. Oh well, I suppose Iā€™ll just have wait another three years for another Moersā€™ novel to be translatedā€¦

1 Like

Not Artakha, but Iā€™ll give it a shot.

Redwall: Itā€™s a world where animals play the role of people; the main setting is an abbey made of red stone, and the inhabitants always get mixed up in some dangerous adventure. Martin the Warrior was the founder of Redwall Abbey, and while the inhabitants are usually peaceful, they can be a bold as Martin when they are attacked by villains.

You should check out the series; itā€™s very good, and Iā€™ve read several books.

2 Likes

I tried to get into Redwall a while ago, but it didnā€™t really appeal to me. :confused:

Part of that may have been because I was burned by Erin Hunterā€™s ā€œWarriorsā€ series at about the same time, which had been undergoing a serious dip in quality around book eleven or so. (It got better again later, but then the twenty-fourth and final book was awful.)

1 Like

I loved the authorā€™s descriptions of food! My family even got the Redwall cookbook and tried some of the recipes. They were quite good.

3 Likes

I usually donā€™t like getting caught up in book series. The first few are good, but after a while, some of them decline. I do, however, follow a few childrenā€™s book series, which have gotten better and havenā€™t lost their appeal to me.

-Diary of a Wimpy Kid (still collecting all the books. Have all of them so farā€¦)
-Captain Underpants (stopped getting the books, but I follow the story.)

Most of the time, I like reading singular books. If itā€™s one book with a conclusion at the end, I get satisfied. However, a lot of books with series leave me wanting to know what happens next, and honestly, I donā€™t always like reading books continuously. Quick reads Iā€™m fine with, and single books are grand. Series? Hard for me to really want to get into. Although, there was one book in a series I enjoyed reading, although I had to do it for class, anyways. (It was called Unwind. Really crazy book, but also really thrilling!)

4 Likes

I read all the books in the Unwind series (unless they made a 4th book).

1 Like

I couldnā€™t agree more, my middle school and the early part of my 9th grade year kept shoveling books with the same ā€œracially persecuted peopleā€ premise down our throats. Thankfully weā€™re starting to read better books! :grinning:

2 Likes

My sister has really gotten into playing audio books around our house. Sheā€™s been listening to The Book Thief for the past week or so. Has anyone else read it? What did you think? From what Iā€™ve heard, itā€™s pretty deep.

1 Like

Would some comicbooks count as great literature? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

@legomaster1378 The Book Thief is a wonderful book. It is a little slow, but the narrationā€™s interesting (Death is the guy who narrates it =D) and it was pretty thought-invoking.

@Leoxandar To me? Definitely. The Killing Joke is by far my favorite short-story of all time, and itā€™s a comic.

3 Likes

I died from laughter reading it :stuck_out_tongue:

Narnia books anyone?

Golden Compass and its sequels anyone?

1 Like

Iā€™ve read the first two or so, didnā€™t really get into the series.

A couple days back I found myself a H. P. Lovecraftā€™s The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories. The book itself looks really nice with a handmade feel on the pages, and having no back cover text is always a plus. Iā€™ve only read Dagon of the actual short stories. Iā€™m looking forward to reading the rest of the stories.

I wanna read his books sometime.

On another note, has anyone here read C.S. Lewisā€™ Space Trilogy?

1 Like

Iā€™ve read the first one.

Did you like it? :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes, I did.

Read them all multiple times. :slight_smile:

Read the first two and loved them; got really bored about halfway through the third and read a summary of the rest. :stuck_out_tongue:

On the subject of C.S. Lewis, I havenā€™t gotten to it yet, but has anyone read The Screwtape Letters?