General Literature Discussion

I have, actually. I got this book for Christmas that is a collection of Lewis’ religious works. It is great. Even if you’re not a Christian, I think you should read it if you enjoy philosophy.

1 Like

I’m a Christian and I enjoy philosophy, so it sounds like a win-win. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I find western comics to be one of the greatest American literature genres, mostly because it has to do with American culture.

Comics themselves started with immigrants coming from Italy, Japan, and many other nations in the turn of the century. They invented quite a few things to establish themselves, too, like pizza and comic strips. Many people liked comics because they usually had to do with humor. Now they’ve evolved into pretty complex literature, and they are part of American culture now.

3 Likes

I recently finished Great Expectations by Charles Dickens for my English class. While it isn’t something I would read in my spare time, I liked the characters and thought they were fairly well written. My main appeal for this book, however, draws from some of the themes and messages presented in the book regarding how characters are influenced by social class, and learning not to think about external value but rather the value that comes through giving to others, which is presented well through Magwitch and Pips relationship.

1 Like

Read 1984 a while back.

My mind was in a state of legit discomfort and downright fear after finishing.

5 Likes

I felt the same way after I read it. Made me want to build a bunker that could survive a nuclear holocaust and was filled with all manner of weapons for my defense.

3 Likes

I read lots more books for leisure this past year. In fact, I don’t think I’ve read more than three books a year before.

The first few books I read this year were Dostoyevsky’s The Double and Malise Ruthven’s Fundamentalism: the Search for Meaning. I also read lots of short stories from H.P. Lovecraft and The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat by the psychologist Oliver Sacks. All were great, short reads.

One of my favourite reads this year was a causerie by Tuomas Kyrö called Mielensäpahoittaja, roughly translating to The Grump. It’s kind of sad that there’s currently no English translation for it but at least the film adaptation has subtitles in lingua franca. I recommend the film for all those who are sick and tired of the hassle that the modern city life causes and would rather be happily miserable on your own in a tiny log cabin in the countryside with no luxuries, as it was intended since the dawn of man.

The last three reads I had this year were the first two books of the Eisenhorn Trilogy, an inquisitional adventure set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe, and Kizumonogatari: Wound Tale by Nisioisin.

Next year I plan to read some more Nisioisin as Vertical has translated and released another book in the Monogatari series and is about to release Kubikiri Cycle in late January, and Musicophilia by aforementioned Oliver Sacks.

I also hope that Walter Moers’ latest works get translated to a more comprehensible language than German; either The Alchmeister’s Apprentice or the conclusion to the Dreaming Books trilogy would quench my thirst. Sadly, I doubt I wouldn’t have to wait another three years for more Moers and there’s no news to confirm my fears. In addition, I will have to pay a pretty penny for a copy since the local publisher can only release him in hard covers.

1 Like

Anyone read William Shakespeare’s Star Wars?

I think I read a bit if it, but that was a while ago

1 Like

I think it’s pretty spectacular.

I’ve got all three :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like