Gravity Hurts Retro Remix Contest!

Ditto that. You can put mine in the video, if you’d like.

2 Likes

You have my permission

3 Likes

I’m not sure, but I think you’re asking if anyone doesn’t want to be, not does.

2 Likes

my ear-splitting screeches/visuals needs to be shared with the masses

so yes

10 Likes

If I didn’t want to make a fool of myself, I wouldn’t have entered.

So yes, please feel free to use my entry in the video.

5 Likes

Dewit

3 Likes

I’d personally prefer it if my video be left out of the podcast, thanks!

2 Likes

Please put it in for my 5 minutes of fame. Thanks.

2 Likes

Slight delay on the video, I caught some weird illness, so it’s more likely I will be releasing it publicly tomorrow. I haven’t heard back from two participants, so you guys have an extra day to let me know if I should omit your entry from the video.

Thank you again for your participation, everyone. I hope you will have the time to listen to our thoughts on each entry once the video is out.

4 Likes

I can speak for @Samtastictogo’s absence - he’s currently away from his computer and will be for another couple days. I can’t speak for him regarding whether or not he would wish to be excluded.

1 Like

The video is up! Enjoy! Feel free to leave comments and such here.

2 Likes

Currently listening to it now.

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words! I loved seeing/hearing your reactions to all the ‘nuggets’ I put in there, even down the title/description.

Definitely will take the comments about the singing/harmony into account. I’ve recently learned that my singing voice isn’t as good as I remember it being, which is why I decided to go with the take I did. Also, for the DAW comments: I use Studio One, and I encourage everyone here that doesn’t have a proper DAW to use to get the free version of that.

Made mine public for you, as per the comments.

6 Likes

Y’all really think I know how to sing and made my submission purposefully bad? Lmao! :rofl:

I’ve never considered myself to be able to sing, so I went with a joke entry just for the fun of it.

3 Likes
  1. No, I did not have the song playing on my phone, and record myself with the computer. I did something very different: I had the song on my computer, and recorded it with my phone.
  2. it isn’t that I feel I can’t sing, it’s that everyone I’ve sung to says I’m not any good at it. I fully expected to hear the same from you guys, so hearing that it wasn’t that bad was a very pleasant surprise. Though it does have some noticeable problems…
  3. yes, I’m naturally a bit hesitant about speaking up. I don’t know if you noticed, but for the first seconds, I was noticeably quieter, until I mentally yell at myself to speak up. It also probably didn’t help that I didn’t have the timing of the song memorized, so I had marked particular timestamps to start certain parts. Having to watch for these cues probably led to a lack of confidence, as I was trying to match the timing of the music. Ways to fix this: practicing the song until I know it (this was literally my first attempt)
  4. Yeah, listening back to it, my voice doesn’t range a whole lot, it is rather monotone. I could try to vary it a bit more. I think I’m better with a slightly higher tone than what I had for my cover.

Anyway, thanks for the review/comments, I’ll take it all into consideration, and I’ll certainly enter any future music contests; this was super fun, and I loved seeing what everyone else did, too.

6 Likes

Ah see but that’s just it. Just cause you’ve never considered yourself able, doesn’t mean you can’t. I’ve been a musician a long time and been around plenty of people, ranging from “Ungodly good” to “Kareoke Star” to “Please stop my ears are bleeding” and you are firmly not in the final category.

If it’s something you like, give it some practice man, even if it’s just in the car. #IRecogniseYourPotential :stuck_out_tongue:

1. Ya fooled us, I woulda dont it the other way around lol!
  2. Well then those people suck. I’ve very rarely met anyone who -can’t- sing, some people just have a bit more natural talent for it. There’s a lot of technique and a lot of mental exercise that goes into it though, so it’s definitely not for everyone.
  3. For a very first attempt it was pretty good! There were definite moments where your singing was weaker BUT we all discussed after the video how there really wasn’t a lot of time given to people to do it at all, so props to you!
  4. I’d definitely give it a shot in a higher key/pitch if I were you. You might find that going higher gives you a little more power in your voice, which is a nice feedback loop if it gives you more confidence in what you’re doing :slight_smile:

Thanks to everyone for your entries, it was awesome listening to what everyone entered and even those entries that didn’t blow me away still blew my mind with how little time there was to prepare an entry.

Definitely looking forward to any future contests like this we do!

~Hawkeye

10 Likes

Gravity.Hz
The prize has finally arrived - Phantoka themed, fittingly enough. Thanks Ven!

Also @Kini_Hawkeye when can we see your framed copy of the imperalism comment?

16 Likes

One day… One day I will have the money for frames…

and printing…

Glad to know yer prize arrived though!! Lookin good!!!

4 Likes